Warming down

norbie2018

Warming down

Post by norbie2018 »

Buddy Baker has a section about it in his method. Does anyone utilize a warm-down after playing? If so, what do you do?
BGuttman

Re: Warming down

Post by BGuttman »

Most of the time I don't make a big deal about it; sometimes my "warmdown" is putting the trombone back in its case.

If i't been a pretty strenuous session I will do a few quiet pedal long tones (low notes, Bb to E if no pedals) and finish up with a few "horse flaps". The whole thing takes less than a minute.

I don't know what an extensive warmdown will accomplish.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Long low notes, Bb to E, in semi tone steps. If it’s been a long hard session then a cold beverage cools parts of the chops. Even holding the outside of the glass to the lips can help. That’s what I find anyway.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

I do not do this.
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

Cofee. Black.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

I sometimes do a brief warm down, just like most professional athletes do at the end of a competition. Usually soft low tones, sometimes some pedals, sometimes some lip-bending exercises from low Bb down to the pedals. My belief: there is a physiological benefit to it, and psychologically I’m telling myself, “This is the end of this session. It’s time to rest.” No more than 2-3 minutes max.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
tbathras

Post by tbathras »

I pretty much only ever hear trumpets do warm downs, and only a few at that. I might literally play one or two low notes softly if things feel really tight, but that's a rare occurrence.

I instead take time to clean my mouthpiece and wipe down my horn before I put in the case.
--
Bass Trombone
Casco Bay Wind Symphony
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

"Warming down" is actually very beneficial. The results are usually apparent the following day when you begin your next playing session. I used to compare it to throwing your trousers in a heap on the floor at night instead of hanging them properly so that they retain their crease. I guess a horseman would equate it to putting a horse away wet after a run without currying him down ? Anyway --- it always was a positive result for me.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Is there a physiological reason why this might work? From my limited knowledge of anatomy it isn't like, say, stretching but rather just a less strenuous version of the thing that is causing distress. Granted, that doesn't mean there isn't a psychological reason this wouldn't work!
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

I’m no physiologist, however my reasoning is that if the bulk of a long hard show is in middle and upper register then low long notes can relax muscles. Applying the outside of a cold glass to the chops and a cold drink is, for me, analogous to the cold baths and ice packs athletes use. It ‘feels’ helpful, whether it ‘is’ helpful, who knows? Liked the hanging up your trousers comparison too.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal
blast

Post by blast »

Cold Beer.

Chris
henrikbe

Post by henrikbe »

Matt K wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:34 pm Is there a physiological reason why this might work?
I usually do just a couple of pedals as a warm down. I may be completely wrong about this, but my take is that the slow vibration of the pedals are somehow beneficial for the blood stream, thus speeding up the rebuilding of muscles torn down during playing.
tbathras

Post by tbathras »

blast wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:50 am Cold Beer.

Chris
A couple of the groups I’m in, a handful of us always head to the pub after rehearsal or a gig. Not only does the cold beer feel good, so does the camaraderie.
--
Bass Trombone
Casco Bay Wind Symphony
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

henrikbe wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:53 am
Matt K wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:34 pm Is there a physiological reason why this might work?
I usually do just a couple of pedals as a warm down. I may be completely wrong about this, but my take is that the slow vibration of the pedals are somehow beneficial for the blood stream, thus speeding up the rebuilding of muscles torn down during playing.
Athletes will often do light jogging or walking and later stretching or massage. After a hard effort it is definitely a good idea to flush the muscles of waste products. Perhaps pedals would be equivalent to stretching and massage, which given the size of the muscles involved is easily and quickly done.
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

I dont warm down, but I try to reequilibrate my playing : if the session was loud and low i will try to play some minutes high and soft. And some middle register. I feel better the next day.

Then I drink beer with my colleagues. Depending on how much beer I won't feel better the next day :-)
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!

Return to “Performance”