What we're doing

hyperbolica

Re: What we're doing

Post by hyperbolica » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:16 am

I play mainly with a trombone quartet, where I play bass when the 4th part goes below the staff. I'm not really a bass player, but the other players show up with straight horns or a 36b, so I'm the last man standing, I guess. I get to play lead here and there when the other three parts aren't too low. We also have a traditional brass quintet that we get together for special occasions.

I also play in a local chamber orchestra, which is off season right now. I'm usually on principal there, but sometimes I take third to spread it around and give the other guys a chance. I used to play in a local big band but I'm switching to a college trombone choir. Like a lot of people, I only have so much spare time, and deciding where to spend it is tough.

The summer is a little lean, with only the quartet active, so I'm playing with Band In a Box to learn some standards, improve improv and other stuff.
BflatBass

Post by BflatBass » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:31 pm

Yesterday I had one band practice in the morning with the New Horizons band and was planning on one more in the evening with the "big" band. As we were getting ready to start in the morning, our conductor gets a phone call and finds out someone made a mistake and the third band I'm in, which he also conducts, is supposed to perform that evening instead of tonight. Great!
So...after performing in the early evening, I wrapped up quickly, hopped in my car and drove over to catch the second half of the "big" band rehearsal. Three bands in one day. That was a lot for me at this point.
The holiday this week has thrown off the schedule for everyone so I doubt I'll encounter this again anytime soon. At least not until Christmas.
King 3B (mid 70's version)
King Duo Gravis Silver Sonic

...and now back to your normally scheduled programming.
PhilipEdCarlson

What we're doing: JASJW

Post by PhilipEdCarlson » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:30 pm

just pulling out n driving to Louisville for the last Jamey Aebersold's Summer Jazz Workshop!

leaving Salt Lake City at 22:30!

planned stops in Denver and KC
of course the plan wasto leave at 08:00 this morning! missed that!
Philip Carlson
TR-181, 72H, 88HCL, 32H, 30H, 4H, 50's Super, 40's Super, Buescher True-Tone 410 & The Buescher, Constellation Euph, Getzen Severenson
blast

Post by blast » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:48 am

blast wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:06 am
Last week of our run of Eugene Onegin . This week Belfast. Heatwave. Doing as little as possible... eating, warming up, show, beer.
There, Isn't that exciting ?
Next week booked for a gig with no trombone parts...
Do I sign the contract or tell them they got it wrong ?
The life of the pro trombonist.....

Chris
So there are parts. I even remember them now I see them...it was over 40 years since I last did it, so I have an excuse.
Glad nothing else is in this week. Too hot for me.

Chris
PhilipEdCarlson

Re: What we're doing: JASJW

Post by PhilipEdCarlson » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:32 am

PhilipEdCarlson wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:30 pm
just pulling out n driving to Louisville for the last Jamey Aebersold's Summer Jazz Workshop!

leaving Salt Lake City at 22:30!

planned stops in Denver and KC
of course the plan wasto leave at 08:00 this morning! missed that!
just made it to Denver!
Philip Carlson
TR-181, 72H, 88HCL, 32H, 30H, 4H, 50's Super, 40's Super, Buescher True-Tone 410 & The Buescher, Constellation Euph, Getzen Severenson
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:06 am

I played Reflective Mood (Sammy Nestico) with my community band at our big July 4th concert this week. I thought the director was going to put it early in the program, but he put it an hour in, after I had already played first bone on lots of loud sustained stuff. I tried to lay out for most of the 2 tunes leading up to the solo, but I still stepped up the mic with less than fresh chops. RM is not super difficult, but it does have a few optional high C's and one optional high D. I ended up taking the first C down, but made the D and last high C. It's interesting how you can have something practiced to a T and then things go south at show time. I was not used to playing into a mic and only got about 30 seconds of practice on that in warm up. But everyone applauded, so I guess it went OK.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:29 am

Yeah. Sunday we played Sweet Virginia Breeze, our highest and loudest, at an hour ten minutes in. The highest note is only an Ab, but my chops were pretty tired at that point, trying to balance 11 clarinets and the same number of trumpets. I'll post an mp3 of how it went. I think I played okay, but I hear myself going sharp. I wish I knew how to play brighter on pieces like that.
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:37 pm

I played Tuba in the Army for 13 years and left the Army in 1995 due to my father's health issues. (terminal cancer). I continued playing into the late 90s but my son was born in 1999 and in the 2000s I stopped performing mostly due to time commitments. I missed playing and started back in 2015. Very frustrating to have played at a high level and then come back. I was a good tuba player, not great but competent.

I started playing trombone 2 years ago and am playing in a local big band made up of area band directors and a few other musicians. Great band of which I am one of the weaker links. Again, a new experience for me. I've pretty much "moved" to trombone and am playing it in a community/college concert band as well. I started taking lessons a few weeks ago from a local pro in St. Louis. Very very humbling. I just read a nice article from Michael Lake (link below) that I appreciated.

https://www.altobone.com/its-it-too-lat ... bone-well/

I play because I love playing. I know that I'll never have Bill Watrous' (RIP Bill) technique at this point...lol....but that's ok. Playing has been a big part of my life and I will play as long as I'm physically able. I appreciate this site and those of you who are music lovers like me. Cheers!
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:14 pm

Back in town... and of course it's over 110 degrees. Heading to the hardware store to find a new slide screw for my contra, and on the lookout for a new small horn.

I do go through a lot of horns, but I really like to have one setup for each instrument that I don't need to change. Just found out recently that the small horn situation isn't where it needs to be. Oh well!
Bass Trombone
DL Band
SLO Symphony
sf105

Post by sf105 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:27 pm

This weekend, hacking through a couple of acts of Die Frau Ohne Schatten (Strauss) with Fulham Opera. It's brutal but we get there, and we're all sweating this weekend.

Then one quintet blow through before shutting down for the summer break.

S
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:00 pm

StevenC wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:27 pm
Not only does my wife tolerate all the trombone playing that goes on in and around this house, she really seems to enjoy it. She seems to judge concerts based on how much low brass is featured. It seems strange to me, but it also works for me.
Yes, I am in the same situation. My wife (a piano player who has little feel for playing in/with an ensemble) greatly appreciates band music. With regard to the community bands I've played, she generally remarks that the low brass sounds good and in tune while the other sections play out of tune. On the other hand, in general, the other sections DO play out of tune, and the low brass doesn't.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb Bass tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K9/110 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)
blast

Post by blast » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:35 pm

sf105 wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:27 pm
This weekend, hacking through a couple of acts of Die Frau Ohne Schatten (Strauss) with Fulham Opera. It's brutal but we get there, and we're all sweating this weekend.

Then one quintet blow through before shutting down for the summer break.

S
Haha ! I remember playing with Fulham Opera in my late teens.... good to know it's still there. I played for 7 mins in today's gig.... but it was a 300 mile round trip. Strange world. An old college friend was playing.... I don't think I had seen him since... 40 years.... it was a sort of 'how did your life turn out ?' conversation.

Chris
brtnats

Post by brtnats » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:32 am

I play bass trombone in a 70+ year old community band that visits assisted living facilities each week. We learn 2 concerts per year (Christmas and spring) and then tour it around the area to folks who don’t get out often. Often I’m reinforcing either the tuba book or the euphonium book as well as holding down the bass trombone book. Band’s shut down for the summer, so probably 20 of us meet weekly and sightread band pieces and charts from the band’s large music library. Sometimes I’m the “tuba,” sometimes the only trombone. This group also breaks into chamber groups, so I play the tenor book in a little German band and the bass book in a Dixieland group.

I also play tenor in a local reggae band. We just played an after-party last night in a bar that was easily 85F without the lights. Lead guitar, bass, drums, alto sax, and me, all tunes either originals or original covers. Great great opportunity to play stuff that’s just been written by a non-trombonist, and that pushes me out of my preconceived comfort zones. I also play in area pit orchestras as needed for amateur musicals. Always SOMETHING to play!

I joined both of these groups sight unseen and committed myself to try them for at least 3 months. I can’t overstate how important it is to stick around for a while when you’re in a new group. The community band isn’t super-duper great, but the people sure are, and I wouldn’t have known that if I’d bailed after the first rehearsal. Same with the little reggae band, although we do actually make some money. My forum advice would be to always jump at the chance to play and just see what happens.
Bassbonechandler

Post by Bassbonechandler » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:30 pm

I am currently using my summer to practice as much as I can. I'm trying to spend a lot of time on my fundamentals after an enlightening lesson with Dr. Pollard at IU. I've had to think a lot about moving my slide faster and buzzing my mouthpiece to help my playing.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:35 am

Summer camp starts on sunday and that will be the end of my three weeks of heavy practice. Now I will play music for a week with a symphony orchestra. If there is free time I will spend time on further practice.

The past three weeks I've practiced beween one and four hours a day, and there are some changes in my playing that I can notice. To sum "practice helps".

1) My embouchure is more efficient which means I don't waist so much air and can play longer phrases. About the double length compared to before. Comes from a deeper breath and more economic playing. I can now play phrases mp-mf for up to about 15 seconds. I try to improve efficiency further and my goal would be to play 20 second phrases which would cover a four bar legato phrase in 4/4 at a tempo of 60 with some margins.
2) I managed to play the whole book of 15 elementary studies by Tommy Pederson at faster tempo than before.
3) I managed to play through the first half of the book of 15 advanced etudes by Tommy Pederson although not at full speed. It's a progress because earlier I had to give up on some of them. They just left me with frustration. Now they all are within reach. That's a big leap forward.
4) My fretting technique has improved which I think comes from a better controlled embouchure. This means I can now do fast slurs on each of the seven positions from low to high much better than before. As an example I do fast fretting (glisses) from :bassclef: (b) :line2: to :trebleclef: :line4: and back again. I touch every note in between with a full sound on every note. The feel is my lips works just as a camera lense, it opens and closes, but allways seeking the smallest possible opening for the best efficiency. Air is on. Corners are firm. I can feel my bottom lip is pushed slightly forward on the low notes? I definitely feel this study is helping me right now. The feeling of how I do this exercise is complete different from before.
5) My tonguing techniques has also been improved by this better control of the embouchure. I notice I hit notes more accurately all over the horn.
6) I have got a few advice that helped me make progress on the tenor as well as on the bass trombone.
7) I have practiced all major scales on my euphonium to be more intuitive and familiar in the sharp keys.

What's my goal for the future?
I guess I want the feeling of my instrument playing itself. That's the feeling. Until this happens I don't expect anything will sound easy. If it doesn't sound easy it is not going to be music. It hasn't happened yet that my instrument has played by itself. It takes a lot of work to get me there.

/Tom
"Do your best and then do better" ttf_watermailonman

Return to “Performance”