Brass Band Woes

ttf_eightyeightH

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_eightyeightH »

Well, after my band's success at Butlins, off we went to the area championships. 2 hour rehearsals every night in the week leading up to it, recording made at each rehearsal, and the run-through on Friday night was a cracker  Image .

The contest performance was a chuffing disaster Image. Cornets out of tune Image, players forgot to mute Image and the percussion section got lost Image. Thoroughly depressing. We came 13th/18.  Image

Only one consolation - and that was 4barsrest.com's tweet:

https://twitter.com/4barsrest/status/574214813699670016

Quote#regs2015 Mid 3: Trombones are the shining light for Stamford. Nice rounded sound as a section. Well done Trombones!
To cap it off, our local rivals got promoted.
ttf_Stewbones43

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_Stewbones43 »

Have a word with your GP. He can prescribe something for severe depression but it might not be strong enough for a case like this. Image

Cheers

Stewbones
ttf_anonymous

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_anonymous »

We've all been there. Part and parcel of banding unfortunately.
Incredibly disappointing nevertheless, given the number of man-hours prep work that goes in to playing at Areas.
All you can really do is try & learn the lessons for next year.  Image
Sounds to me like having focused strongly on mastering the piece, perhaps next time try to somehow work on "delivering on the day".
Much more difficult to tackle.

Hopefully I won't be adding a similarly toned post to this thread on Monday, as it's WoE areas this weekend for me!
ttf_bonesmarsh

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

My sincere advice is to take every
Posh Spice" themed football chant and re-word it to belittle your rivals.

It will make you feel better!
ttf_Roebird37

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_Roebird37 »

Oh no, sorry to hear that. Such a disappointment after so much hard work, but as previously mentioned, it's a familiar situation for every contesting bander from some time or other.

The stage fright of contests doesn't half get to some people, just silly things like forgetting a repeat can cause chaos.  You can't comprehend how someone can get lost in a piece that's been so well rehearsed, but I've seen it happen enough times.

We're off to sunny Torquay on Saturday to face our doom. Relegation is almost certain, having come last in the previous two Areas, but our new MD has gelled really well with the band and we're all enjoying the piece. Spirits are surprisingly high.
ttf_Roebird37

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_Roebird37 »

Saturday was a beautiful day.  We were drawn 4th to play, and felt we'd given a really good performance.  The 4BR and Bandsman comments were positive, which makes a change, and our 'ears' in the auditorium were giving the thumbs up and enormous smiles.  Feedback from various sources was expecting us to get into the top half of the results. 
Sadly it was not to be, we were placed 14th out of 15.  I hope it's warm and cosy in the 3rd section, as we're being relegated.  Image

The most irritating things was the adjudicator's notes.  The pair of them appeared to be listening to two different bands, they directly contradicted each other in several places, so we're left with no clear idea of what they were looking for and how we failed their expectations.  Gah. 

Despite all that it was a really enjoyable day, I had a great time with my bandmates, and met some delightful new people.  I have now recovered from the hangover.  Image

ttf_Stewbones43

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_Stewbones43 »

Quote from: Roebird37 on Mar 16, 2015, 05:08AM  I have now recovered from the hangover.  Image

Image Already  Image

Commiserations.  Image

Cheers

Stewbones
ttf_eightyeightH

Brass Band Woes

Image Image Image

Welcome to the 3rds  Image

It's not that bad, really.

And I know a great cure for hangovers.
ttf_Roebird37

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_Roebird37 »

Thanks chaps.  I'm sure it'll be lovely in the third section with such good company.  Image

Top tips for hangover cures will be very welcome, so I'll have time to test them all out before the next contest. Image
ttf_BGuttman

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

The cure for hangover is supposed to be hair of the dog that bit you.  I have two dogs and a lot of hair.  Guess I'm not going to have much hangover. Image
ttf_elev8

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_elev8 »

Quote from: Roebird37 on Mar 16, 2015, 05:08AMThe most irritating things was the adjudicator's notes.  The pair of them appeared to be listening to two different bands, they directly contradicted each other in several places, so we're left with no clear idea of what they were looking for and how we failed their expectations.  Gah. 

Who were your A Judy cators, if you don't mind my asking?
ttf_MoominDave

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_MoominDave »

If I might plug a website I have quite a bit to do with:
http://brassbandresults.co.uk/contests/west-of-england-area-second-section/2015-03-14/
ttf_Roebird37

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_Roebird37 »

Our adjudicators were Roger Webster and David Hirst.

That's a great website Dave, I will spend a bit more time browsing it when I've got some spare time, or I won't get any work done this afternoon.
ttf_Max Croot

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_Max Croot »

Hi.I've been in similar situations. Maybe too much rehearsing and by the time you get to the contest the band is tired of it and the actual performance is a let down. Every body loves a winner, Lets hear it for those unsung heroes, The Losers. Max.
ttf_elev8

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_elev8 »

Well, my band were most definitely losers lol.
Sadly I must shoulder a lot of the blame, I had an absolute shocker. Just did not perform on the day.
Overdid it in rehearsals in the lead-up I think. Went on the stand with swollen sore lips before even blowing a note.
Started badly, nerves kicked in, and we were halfway through the piece before I recovered any sort of composure.
Definitely a bad day at the office. One of my worst ever.

I asked about the adjudicators, because we also had Roger & David and their comments on our performance were both insightful, constructive & extremely fair.
ttf_MoominDave

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_MoominDave »

Sorry to hear people's area results haven't gone as wanted here yet. I'll do my best to help break that streak on Sunday in Stevenage - fingers crossed! Funny old piece "The Torchbearer" - not hard to get to 90%, but really hard to get much further. Has made for some unexpected results in other areas.
ttf_elev8

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_elev8 »

Best of luck Dave. And a very fair assessment, if I may say so.
I actually really enjoyed working on The Torchbearer and thought it was a very thorough test right across the band.
Brought home starkly to me that after a long lay-off from serious contesting my issues are with delivery, as opposed to technical mastery of the music. That's encouraging in a way as it's something which can be worked on (I've started already).
I'd have been far more dispirited if I'd played my best on the day but not been able to get near the piece.
As it stands I know the performance is in there, I just need to pull it off when it counts.

ttf_Roebird37

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_Roebird37 »

Oh dear elev8, I'm sorry it didn't go as you hoped.
It's a frustrating thought that you can play badly because of too much practice, just as easily as with too little.
Was it just you that overdid it, or was the whole band fatigued in the same way?

I'd like to wish Dave the very best of luck, have a great day tomorrow and show us all how it's done!

ttf_MikeBMiller

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

For those of us on this side of the pond, would someone please explain how this whole "relegation" thing works? It sounds a bit like the British soccer league, which I don't understand either.
ttf_eightyeightH

Brass Band Woes

Quote from: MikeBMiller on Mar 21, 2015, 07:41PMFor those of us on this side of the pond, would someone please explain how this whole "relegation" thing works? It sounds a bit like the British soccer league, which I don't understand either.

5 sections: Championship,1st, 2nd 3rd 4th.

Regional championships held every year. Scores from the last 3 years added. 1 pt for 1st 5 pts for 5th etc. top 2 go up, bottom 2 go down.

Most of the time you might as well roll dice.

http://mabbc.org/

Should give you an idea of how it works.
ttf_MoominDave

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_MoominDave »

Sorry people, I have to add to the litany of TTF 2015 area contest disaster. Band didn't play well, and the adjudicators hated what we did with the piece. 12th place out of 12 bands, and relegation to the 1st section, from what had seemed at first glance an impregnable position in the table (5th/12) going into the contest. Meh.
ttf_Roebird37

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_Roebird37 »

Oh no Dave, I was pinning all my hopes for vicarious glory onto you.  Image

I don't know why we put ourselves through this trauma, but I still couldn't imagine joining a non-contesting band. Suckers for punishment I suppose.

ttf_MoominDave

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_MoominDave »

At least in 2016 our bands will be among the favourites in their new sections!

The eternal cycle...
ttf_patrickosmith

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_patrickosmith »

Quote from: eightyeightH on Mar 11, 2015, 02:48AMWell, after my band's success at Butlins, off we went to the area championships. 2 hour rehearsals every night in the week leading up to it, recording made at each rehearsal, and the run-through on Friday night was a cracker  Image .

The contest performance was a chuffing disaster Image. Cornets out of tune Image, players forgot to mute Image and the percussion section got lost Image. Thoroughly depressing. We came 13th/18.  Image

Only one consolation - and that was 4barsrest.com's tweet:

https://twitter.com/4barsrest/status/574214813699670016

To cap it off, our local rivals got promoted.

Is it possible that your collections chops weren't fresh enough on the day of the performance? I recall one of my faults in doing auditions was that I played way too much just before the audition and hence my chops were already almost spent.
ttf_anonymous

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: MoominDave on Mar 20, 2015, 04:30AMHas made for some unexpected results in other areas.

No kidding!!!
ttf_elev8

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_elev8 »

Quote from: Roebird37 on Mar 21, 2015, 09:43AMOh dear elev8, I'm sorry it didn't go as you hoped.
It's a frustrating thought that you can play badly because of too much practice, just as easily as with too little.
Was it just you that overdid it, or was the whole band fatigued in the same way?

I'd like to wish Dave the very best of luck, have a great day tomorrow and show us all how it's done!

Thanks for your kind words, Roebird Image
I blame myself entirely. Should have heeded the warning signs and backed off a bit in the couple of rehearsals just before the event.
I figured the lip would recover in time, but it hadn't. Not even close. Lesson learned.
Generally sounding tired was one of the comments actually, but I can only really speak about my own performance.

Commiserations to Dave also. I too thought that his band were "impregnable" in the section.
Just goes to show one bad day can really bite you up the bum, despite attempts to mitigate that with aggregate scoring etc.

However, as you so rightly say, a non-contesting band is simply not an option.
I do those too for kicks as I'm sure yourself and Dave do also, but I couldn't not contest. Tried it, didn't like it.

ttf_Duffle

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_Duffle »

Competitive music-making, hmmm. Never quite got it........ But each to his own.......
ttf_marccromme

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_marccromme »

Quote from: Duffle on Oct 02, 2015, 03:11PMCompetitive music-making, hmmm. Never quite got it........ But each to his own.......

Hi Duffle .. yes, that was my thought too when I joined an english-style brass band in Denmark. But now I think national competitions are great fun, if you just don't take the winning/loosing part too serious. A good chance to meet a lot of nice people and have a lot of nerd talks about brass music. And a good oppertunity to hear other good bands.
ttf_GetzenBassPlayer

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_GetzenBassPlayer »

Quote from: Duffle on Oct 02, 2015, 03:11PMCompetitive music-making, hmmm. Never quite got it........ But each to his own.......
The brass band I play with does a band festival every year.  We have a person come in and work with the bands and then we put on a concert where everyone plays.
ttf_Roebird37

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_Roebird37 »

I was forced to miss the latest contest with my band due to a back problem.  It was a real panic trying to get someone to cover for me at short notice, but somebody knew somebody else who had the number of a guy....and this fella turned up to save the day.  He turned out to be a fantastic bass trombone player, who had been with a championship section band, so the music posed no problem to him.

The whole band played a blinder, and my section won the prize for the best trombone section - without me!

I feel mean putting this in the 'brass band woes' thread, because of course I'm glad they did well, but I will admit it stings a bit that they did better without me than they would have done if I'd made it.  Image

ttf_eightyeightH

Brass Band Woes

Quote from: Roebird37 on Oct 05, 2015, 05:27AMwon the prize for the best trombone section - without me!

Ouch.
ttf_elev8

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_elev8 »

Quote from: Roebird37 on Oct 05, 2015, 05:27AMI was forced to miss the latest contest with my band due to a back problem.  It was a real panic trying to get someone to cover for me at short notice, but somebody knew somebody else who had the number of a guy....and this fella turned up to save the day.  He turned out to be a fantastic bass trombone player, who had been with a championship section band, so the music posed no problem to him.

The whole band played a blinder, and my section won the prize for the best trombone section - without me!

I feel mean putting this in the 'brass band woes' thread, because of course I'm glad they did well, but I will admit it stings a bit that they did better without me than they would have done if I'd made it.  Image

First off, you don't *know* that they did better without you...
Perhaps a slight whiff of good old English self-deprecation?

Just as you felt a slight sting (to borrow your term), I feel sure your section-mates also feel a slight regret that you weren't there sharing in the plaudits with them as you otherwise would have been. I've never won a section prize in my life, but to do so with a dep in the team just would not be the same as winning alongside the guys you rehearse & gig with week in and week out.
It's an emotive topic (especially where the top bands are concerned) but personally I feel a massive sense of pride that my own band manage to compete at a reasonably high level, yet you'll see the *exact* same set of players playing carols outside local supermarkets in December collecting money for charity. It's a team game. You can bet everyone else felt your absence with a tinge of sadness, just as you yourself did.

In regard to the comment about "never quite getting" competitive music making, much could be said, but as others have alluded to boil down the brass band contesting circuit to that one phrase is really a massive oversimplification. To think of it in such terms is to miss 90% of what it's really all about. Whilst it isn't for everyone (that's for sure) which arena of playing music really is? Some of the good points have already been listed by others. I'll only add that if ensemble playing is your thing, then nothing will bond a group of players together as a unit, or drive individual and collective performance toward excellence more than playing in a contesting band.
Playing in any band or ensemble requires at minimum a significant investment of time and energy. For myself, if I don't feel like I'm improving as a player for making that investment, then I lose interest pretty quickly. Whilst I always have fun playing in whatever band, and I love the social aspects of it, in order to keep that week-in week-out spirit of commitment alive, then I need to feel like it's making me a better player. A contesting band will give you that. The level you are at as an individual player is irrelevant. There are contesting bands to suit all players from beginners to top seasoned pros.
ttf_Roebird37

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_Roebird37 »

I really feel I'm just being honest, there's no doubt the guy is a terrific player and really did a great job for my band.  Credit where it's due to him.

I did receive a bouquet from the band on the day of the contest, with a message to say they were going to miss me.  The first time we met afterwards my section just gave me a big hug and said 'it should have been you because we'd all worked hard on it together'.  But obviously they are still delighted to have the cup!

I don't get to redeem myself any time soon, because we've withdrawn from the November contest, due to there only being two entries in our section.

I agree with everything you say about contesting, you've hit the nail on the head for me.

ttf_MoominDave

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_MoominDave »

Well, it's 2016 now, and everyone's Area contests are imminent... Indeed already past if you play in Yorkshire or the North West. Better luck all this time round!
ttf_Roebird37

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_Roebird37 »

We're off to Torquay tomorrow, Dave.  Our section has been split into two draws, and we're in the second half, so we don't have to get on the coach at silly-o-clock for a change.

The rehearsal went well last night, and we're booked into the Salvation Army hall tomorrow morning for warm-up and run through.  I will report back although you'll probably see the results on facebook anyway.
ttf_BGuttman

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Good luck.  I'll be interested in how well you feel you did as well as how well you were judged.  Also how well the wax worked.
ttf_Roebird37

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_Roebird37 »

We had a great day, coming 2nd out of 18 bands.
The practice in the morning went really well, everybody seemed to feel calm and confident, and we repeated that on stage in the afternoon.
As we left the stage, the steward said it was a very good performance and he thought it would be a close call.
We were obviously thrilled with the result, which means we will be promoted back to the second section for next year.

I am very pleased with the dental wax, which has made a huge difference in my playing comfort and allowed me to practice for longer without any soreness.  I had originally planned only to use it for practising at home, but it's so helpful that I'm using it for everything.

Good luck to all the other contesters, I hope everything goes your way as well.

ttf_BGuttman

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Good for you, and for your band.  Here's hoping you can move up the ranks. Image
ttf_MoominDave

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_MoominDave »

Congratulations Sam, glad you got a better one this year!

We played in Stevenage for the London and Southern Counties contest yesterday in our first year back down in the 1st section after making rather a hash of last year's performance and then catching an unlucky grading table circumstance to get relegated. Preparations had gone well - we'd knuckled down and concentrated hard over a lengthy period on the set piece, Gregson's 'Essay', which isn't the most technically challenging but is a decent piece of music with a lot of nuance in it. We'd taken it to a 'pre Area warm-up' contest three weeks before, and comfortably beat 10 other bands, 2 of whom subsequently came in the top two in their regions, all playing the same piece, many of whom were in the West of England and Midlands areas, which took place last weekend - so they were a week closer to their goal at that time. After that, one of the most respected conductors in the banding world came in to lead the final contest preparation and performance, and the band responded well to him, with the 'nailedness' of the performance palpably growing with each rehearsal. In short, we arrived in Stevenage in good form, knowing it, and with a number of people unsolicitedly having given their opinion that it was ours to lose.

Drawn number 1 - that's something every bandsperson dreads, sometimes rightly so, sometimes without need. There are occasions when playing early means that a good performance just seems to disappear from the heads of the judges, and there are occasions when it doesn't. Sadly for us, this was one of the former. There's no doubt it was a good performance - in fact on the day, the standout performance in the eyes of all who cared to publish their opinion prior to the results - the various respected online commentary tweets are collected under our band Twitter feed at the moment. The consensus among all who'd listened to a decent selection of bands that I spoke to (and with us too, it must be said) was that we could look forward to a win, promotion back to the championship section, and a place at the Finals in September. It is rare indeed for opinion at band contests to solidify so unanimously, and it felt pretty good. Results announced... Always a nervous time... Both of the soloist prizes (which often at contests have the feeling of having been allocated within the top few placing bands) went elsewhere - mildly perturbing, but not something to be too concerned about. 4th place - phew, not us, we were hoping for better, and it went to a performance that had been somewhat fancied. 3rd place - not us, also phew, only the top 2 go to the Finals, and it went to the band with the cornet player prize. At this point, expectation in the hall is that the top two will be the two bands that came down from the championship section last year, us and another, both of whom are agreed to have stood out clearly from the pack. Noting that the other band had taken the bass section prize, we started to wonder if we hadn't won it after all... Then BAM - 2nd place - another band entirely, one not expected (with apologies to any of their players that might be reading). Oh dear, where are we going here... And yep - 1st place, the band with the bass section prize. Eventually, once the remarks are distributed, we discover how it turned out - 7th place, the lowest placing ever for the band in the overall grading structure at a time when it's playing well, no Finals appearance, and very definitely no promotion this year - indeed, making promotion next year look like quite a difficult job.

I have in my head a little list of Most Baffling Contest Results Received, as everyone who's played in a contesting brass band for any length of time must have. This one I think knocks the 2008 championship section L&SC Area off top spot. Very much a 'scratch head, mourn inexplicably lost opportunity, move on' type of affair. Hope others had a more satisfying time of it!
ttf_Roebird37

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_Roebird37 »

Dave, I don't know what to say, I checked the predictions and results and was totally confused at the discrepancy for your band.  I wasn't there, I didn't hear a note of it, but all the reports from those attending seemed just as flummoxed.

I'm really sorry, it must be so hard for your band to accept, and even more so that it's probably knackered your points for promotion next year.

Many people get antsy about being drawn 1st or 2nd, do the stats bear it out?  I try not to think about it, but we were drawn 16th this time, and that cheered a lot of our band up.

The only trouble with it was that unbeknown to us the organisers had decided to try and whip through the bands as quickly as possible, and missed a planned break, as they hoped to start the next section early.
Most of us turned up an hour earlier than we expected to play, only to discover the band before us were being called to registration.  Two of our cornets and our MD were AWOL and the desperate attempts to track them down, along with the vision of our MD getting changed in the carpark of his hotel because he didn't have time to check in to his room, will not easily be forgotten.
ttf_patrickosmith

Brass Band Woes

Quote from: Roebird37 on Mar 20, 2016, 06:08AMMany people get antsy about being drawn 1st or 2nd, do the stats bear it out? 
I know something about statistics. If you get me the placement outcomes / rankings and the draw order over the last 10 to 20 years, I can analyze the data to see if there is a correlation (a bias against the earlier draws).
ttf_Geordie

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_Geordie »

Played in the Northumberland Miner's Gala many years ago, when we had coal mines.  Adjudicator was very positive in the written remarks about our Soprano Cornet.  Great.  Except we did not have one ..... Image
ttf_Roebird37

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_Roebird37 »

Quote from: Geordie on Mar 20, 2016, 11:31AMPlayed in the Northumberland Miner's Gala many years ago, when we had coal mines.  Adjudicator was very positive in the written remarks about our Soprano Cornet.  Great.  Except we did not have one ..... Image

Really, that tells us all we need to know about brass band contests. No point taking any of it to heart.

ttf_MoominDave

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_MoominDave »

Quote from: Roebird37 on Mar 20, 2016, 06:08AMDave, I don't know what to say, I checked the predictions and results and was totally confused at the discrepancy for your band.  I wasn't there, I didn't hear a note of it, but all the reports from those attending seemed just as flummoxed.

I'm really sorry, it must be so hard for your band to accept, and even more so that it's probably knackered your points for promotion next year.

Many people get antsy about being drawn 1st or 2nd, do the stats bear it out?  I try not to think about it, but we were drawn 16th this time, and that cheered a lot of our band up.

The only trouble with it was that unbeknown to us the organisers had decided to try and whip through the bands as quickly as possible, and missed a planned break, as they hoped to start the next section early.
Most of us turned up an hour earlier than we expected to play, only to discover the band before us were being called to registration.  Two of our cornets and our MD were AWOL and the desperate attempts to track them down, along with the vision of our MD getting changed in the carpark of his hotel because he didn't have time to check in to his room, will not easily be forgotten.

Oh dear! Image No harm done, at least. I can think of a few similar occurrences - contesting seems to bring this kind of thing out... When she was in Scotland, Diane's band once took the stage at an entertainment contest after a bus breakdown running straight from the bus with half the band not in uniform at a contest with a 'dress and deportment' prize...

Regarding stats about draw correlating with position - there is something to it, and indeed www.4barsrest.com published an article a number of years ago correlating the two for the whole British Open history, which goes back to 1853. I can't find it right now, but it's probably still out there online if anyone has better luck with Google than me. Basically, if we assume that performance standard is independent of where drawn (which seems both reasonable and hard to test other than by what we're already doing...) there is over all adjudicators an effect, but not a large one on average - though I cannot right now recall the exact size of it. 1 is not the least favourable draw in a large field - 2 and 3 are both more likely to unluckily lose out, and as I recall, anywhere in the last quarter or so is about equally most favourable. But it's not a be-all-end-all effect on average - one can usually have some confidence that performing well early on will receive a just (or at least not too unjust) reward. What hasn't been done to my knowledge is to break the stats down by adjudicator - I would intuitively expect there to be some adjudicators that turn out to have a much greater draw bias than others.

Quote from: patrickosmith on Mar 20, 2016, 07:52AMI know something about statistics. If you get me the placement outcomes / rankings and the draw order over the last 10 to 20 years, I can analyze the data to see if there is a correlation (a bias against the earlier draws).

So, as mentioned above, something along these lines has been done, if you can find it. In fact, I've been meaning to look into it in greater depth myself for years, but never quite finding the time. Maybe this can be the spur. But have at it - I recommend the BrassBandResults web site (which I do quite a bit for) as having by a long way the most comprehensive data out there.

Quote from: Geordie on Mar 20, 2016, 11:31AMPlayed in the Northumberland Miner's Gala many years ago, when we had coal mines.  Adjudicator was very positive in the written remarks about our Soprano Cornet.  Great.  Except we did not have one ..... Image

Ha! Image

Reminds of a story once told me by a player at Aldbourne band about their bass trombone winning the best instrumentalist prize at a contest many years ago on a day when they'd played without a bass trombone...

Quote from: Roebird37 on Mar 21, 2016, 03:31AMReally, that tells us all we need to know about brass band contests. No point taking any of it to heart.

One does one's best, doesn't one... But we put in so much effort to the preparation that it's impossible to avoid some degree of emotional investment - and of course one wants to able to celebrate the good results, which is hard to do if one genuinely doesn't let any of it through one's shell - it's ultimately some degree of emotional exposure that makes it a meaningful thing to do. And then the results dictate how easy or otherwise it is to recruit new players, and also the level of technical interest of the music that we get set to play the next time. I've been contesting for quite a long time now (that isn't even a complete list!), and the hard caring of youth has long dissipated into a kind of 'well, this is the game, let's play it' attitude. A result like this one doesn't make me rend my clothes and wail, it makes me wonder whether all the effort we made was a sensible investment of our time. To which the answer is obviously - surely not, it never was, and we knew this when we got into it, but the game usually makes it feel more worthwhile than this... Plus of course that the thrill of getting a musical performance by a bunch of amateurs genuinely technically polished is a very satisfying thing. But next week's another story, and of course we continue. First rehearsal back tonight, and perhaps we can burn effigies of those adjudicators that were so hard to impress for us but not for some others...
ttf_patrickosmith

Brass Band Woes

Quote from: Roebird37 on Mar 21, 2016, 03:31AMReally, that tells us all we need to know about brass band contests. No point taking any of it to heart.

On the contrary, you *should* take it to heart but in a *positive* way. I've learned to use any negative comments and/or outcomes as a motivating force to redouble my efforts to improve. The power of the dark side is strong but you must learn to use it effectively. Motivate yourselves to become so good that even the poorest judge will appreciate your performing prowess.
ttf_patrickosmith

Brass Band Woes

On the subject of correlation between the "draw" and the "position," in a fair contest, there would be *no correlation* at all.

We are to test the hypothesis that a correlation *does exist* and that it is in fact a negative bias (it is more favorable to have a higher draw than a lower draw in order to place higher).

It appears that the data does indeed exist. For example, this link:
https://brassbandresults.co.uk/contests/welsh-area-first-section/2016-03-19/
provides the draw and outcome for one specific contest (Welsh Area, First Section,
Sat 19th Mar 2016).

I'll see what I can do to prove or disprove the hypothesis in a statistical setting using the data.

ttf_Roebird37

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_Roebird37 »

Quote from: MoominDave on Mar 21, 2016, 03:46AMOne does one's best, doesn't one... But we put in so much effort to the preparation that it's impossible to avoid some degree of emotional investment - and of course one wants to able to celebrate the good results, which is hard to do if one genuinely doesn't let any of it through one's shell - it's ultimately some degree of emotional exposure that makes it a meaningful thing to do.
We'd have to be robots not to feel joyful when our results are good, and maybe fantasise about kicking the adjudicators' shins when they've been unfair to us, that's natural enough.

By saying not to take it to heart, I guess I really mean not to base our opinions of ourselves and our bands on the adjudicators' decisions, and especially not to go off trying to change things after a bad result.

You seem like a rather self-aware musician, and to be objective about your band.  You know how well your band plays in general, how well they played on the day, and what everyone else in the venue thought of your performance.
If you were called to a re-match this Saturday, with two new adjudicators, would you do much differently?

There's no doubt it feels bad when your band is placed poorly off the back of a good performance, it happened to us last year (albeit not quite such a glaring travesty), but personally I think it felt worse the year before when we actually did play horribly and totally deserved our low result.
ttf_eightyeightH

Brass Band Woes

We did reasonably well, with a 5th at Bedworth. The annoying thing is the band who played without a timpanist came 1st, and last year, the band without one came 2nd Image  .

Somewhat strange as the piece had an exposed bit where the timp carries the tune...

Congratulations to those who did well, now for Whit Friday...
ttf_Xenol

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_Xenol »

Quote from: patrickosmith on Mar 21, 2016, 04:07AMOn the subject of correlation between the "draw" and the "position," in a fair contest, there would be *no correlation* at all.

It appears that the data does indeed exist. For example, this link:
https://brassbandresults.co.uk/contests/welsh-area-first-section/2016-03-19/
provides the draw and outcome for one specific contest (Welsh Area, First Section,
Sat 19th Mar 2016).

Argh, don't bring up the Welsh 1st section! Brings back terrible memories  Image
ttf_Roebird37

Brass Band Woes

Post by ttf_Roebird37 »

Stewbones gently reminded me recently that I haven't been updating this thread with my band contest results this year, so here goes...

At the start of September we played at the Exmouth Entertainments Contest (own choice).  We came 3rd overall, and won 2nd for entertainment, along with a trophy for best percussion section.
The weather was horrible so we couldn't do our little concert outside on the lawns, unfortunately.

At the end of September we played at the Wychavon Festival of Brass, another own choice entertainments contest.  We came first overall, first for entertainment, won a trophy for the best percussion section, and also a trophy for the best soloist (our flugel player Rob). 

At the start of November we attended the South West Brass Band Association contest in Torquay.  We came first again, and also won another trophy for the best horn section.

We have been competing in the 3rd section this year, but we have been promoted, so from March next year we will be in the 2nd section, and it will all be more challenging.

Return to “Performance”