College Trombone Case

ttf_anonymous

College Trombone Case

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hello fellow trombonist,

I'm getting ready to go to college this upcoming fall and I thought that now would be a good time to get a new case for my Getzen 3047afr.
The case I'm using right now currently has duck tape has a handle and I thought I could use something a bit more convenient, maybe a backpack strap? Do y'all have any recommendations for a sturdy and convident case? My price range basically spans from $0-200ish
ttf_conn88plyr

College Trombone Case

Post by ttf_conn88plyr »

Depends if you are looking for a hard shell case or gig bag.  Hard shell, a good choice would be a Protec Propac; these are going to be slightly over $200 but do have a backpack strap available and are one of the most popular aftermarket cases out there.  If you are looking for a gig bag in this price range Protec, Tuxedo and Fusion all have offerings in the $150.00 to $200.00 range...
ttf_Matt K

College Trombone Case

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I'm a huge Eastman case sycophant.  I had my Shires horn built specifically to fit in one of their cases (by default, they don't always fit because they are wider than most other tenors).  I don't know if a Getzen will fit in them because of that, but I definitely can tell you that they are around your price range and have a really good balance of features. They're hard cases, water resistant, have backpack or shoulder straps, and are lightweight. 

They lack a trombone stand holder (like the Bonna cases), they don't include a music pouch (again, like Bonna), and they dont' have a ton of room in the case otherwise.  I have a separate bag that I use to carry my stand, trombone stand, and music in.  I find a backpack to be more useful for that sort of thing.

I also put a mouthpiece pouch in my main portion of the case (so they don't ding the horn) and then leave the recess in the top (interior) of the case for trombotine and valve lubrication.  If you need more space than that, there are probably better options. BUT if you don't, you'll be hard pressed to find a more protective case that also happens to be very lightweight.

I have one of the new Protec PROPAC cases. They're a HUGE improvement over the older ones. But they are HEAVY.  But also spacious. They have a side pouch for misc. things (although I don't recommend putting a trombone stand in them because the zipper will likely tear after doing that for a while --- but thats purely my opinion and experience from having an older protec case do that to me. The strength of the zipper may have improved).  It also has two spots for mouthpieces as well as a spot for lubrication and other small items.

The SKB462 is notable to me because it is basically indestructible and also very lightweight (you can literally jump on the case). It comes with a lifetime warranty too.  However, its bulky. Very bulky.  But did I mention protective? Its basically a flight case but because its made out of molded plastic its easier to carry around.  You can get an inexpensive shoulder strap for it as well. 

My preference is Eastman -> SKB462 -> Propac personally. But again, the Getzen might not fit in the Eastman so it may be a moot point.
ttf_norbie2009

College Trombone Case

Post by ttf_norbie2009 »

It's above your price range by $40, but Altieri gig bags are the bomb. Good protection for the bell section, great protection for the slide, and you can fit a trombone stand, music and mouth piece in the pockets. I've had one for 20 years of fairly constant use and the only thing to go out on it is the name tag fell off. You might find one used in your price range.
ttf_Keaton

College Trombone Case

Post by ttf_Keaton »

Thank y'all for all of the suggestions!!
ttf_Keaton

College Trombone Case

Post by ttf_Keaton »

Thank y'all for all of the suggestions!!

Return to “Accessories”