Congestion in the ears

ttf_anonymous

Congestion in the ears

Post by ttf_anonymous »

So I am playing a concert with my brass quintet tomorrow and have unfortunately come down with really congested ears - like I am really struggling with things such as being able to tell how loud I am playing or if I am playing in tune all the time. It is also bloody annoying that it is my left ear.

Does anybody have any suggestions of how best to approach this gig tomorrow?
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Congestion in the ears

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Try this:

Apply pressure to the spot just above where your eyebrows meet and slide them outwards to clear your upper sinuses. Then do the same working along your nose and outward under your eye sockets. Then do the same starting behind your earlobes and working down in front of your jugulars. This should clear your ears.
ttf_timothy42b

Congestion in the ears

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

If it is sinus/nasal related congestion, sometimes the sinus rinse neti pot approach can help, and it doesn't do any harm.  I resisted doing it the first time my doctor suggested it because it's scary until you get used to it, but I can't take decongestants without getting vertigo.

You want something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/sinus-rinse-bottle/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Asinus%20rinse%20bottle

If it's really in your ears, it may be wax.  I don't know any quick way of getting wax out yourself.  The Debrox style treatments work but take time.  A doctor can flush it but they haven't always been successful with me.   
ttf_JohnL

Congestion in the ears

Post by ttf_JohnL »

If what Harrison suggested does not work, you may need to go the pharmaceutical route.

I have periodic bouts of this. Sometimes antihistamines help. I use diphenhydramine . The last time, I ended up using fluticasone propionate nasal spray to clear things up.
ttf_uncle duke

Congestion in the ears

Post by ttf_uncle duke »

Pseudoephedrine tablets aka Sudafed - the little red pills and maybe a q-tip soaked but not dripping with hydrogen peroxide though you may need more than a day for the latter to work.  Pray for a low barometric pressure reading and no caffeine are the only other things that comes to mind.   
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Congestion in the ears

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

I hope it works for you. In Korea the air quality was so bad that I got a lot of sinus infections. I finally realized that in order to clear my ears, I had to first clear my upper sinuses, my nose, and then I finally could drain my ears by pushing my thumbs down behind my jaw and along my jugulars. It takes a lot of pressure and you have to "mean it".

But to get that "click clack" and feel the relief and be able to hear again ... definitely worth it.
ttf_timothy42b

Congestion in the ears

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

There are several things that can cause this feeling - we've probably talked about three of them already.

The treatment is going to depend on figuring out the actual root cause. 

You might have to actually see somebody.  Is there maybe a school health service, nurse, etc.?
ttf_timothy42b

Congestion in the ears

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

There are several things that can cause this feeling - we've probably talked about three of them already.

The treatment is going to depend on figuring out the actual root cause. 

You might have to actually see somebody.  Is there maybe a school health service, nurse, etc.?

Return to “The Healthy Trombonsit”