Still having fun after 5 months

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I've been playing trombone now for 5 months. I just wanted to share with other beginning/comeback trombone players the positive experience I've been having in a local concert band. About 3 months into my trombone journey I finally felt I was contributing to the band instead of being just carried along. I know the opinion of some is that a beginning player shouldn't join a band until that point of being able to contribute is in place, but this band was OK with it. The experience certainly accelerated my learning curve.

The most effective part of the learning experience is playing third trombone. I CAN play most of the lead parts now (I do play lead trumpet/flugelhorn/cornet in Jazz and Brass bands) but I am finding the third part requires a high level of reading skill. In a lot of arrangements the third part doesn't necessarily match lead in note to note timing, and often the harmonies don't go where you expect. So even though your ear says to play a certain note at a certain time, what you read is what you have to play!  A lot of players will look down on third parts as beneath their "playing ability", but I'm having a ball playing the third as best I can and filling out those gorgeous trombone chords and harmonies.  As I said earlier, it's a great way to accelerate your learning curve. 

My advice to anyone who is a beginning musician is don't pass up the opportunity to play other than lead parts no matter how well you think you can play. It can be a great deal of musical fun. (I occasionally read a bass part an octave up - great way to solidify intonation!). So to beginning players - join a band if they will have you. New Horizon Bands are ideal for this. Soon you will be contributing to the band's overall sound and you'll feel really good about yourself and your playing. And feeling good about your playing is 90% of the way to becoming a really good player.  Image

K22
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I started about 5 months ago too and have been played in a band now for 2 months. Playing music in a band makes it way better. We just had our first concert this past weekend.

I agree about the third trombone parts being pretty fun.  The harmonies that I've had to play are simple.  It actually seems like I get more musical phrases and interesting rhythms.  The first parts that I've seen have been more "high" notes and more harmonizing. 
ttf_stealthheartocarinaZ

Post by ttf_stealthheartocarinaZ »

My trombone journey started off exactly the same way, except that I started in a marching band. I very much agree with you on that. Glad you've joined us! By the way, I play third for concert band, and it's one of the more difficult parts because of the odd jumps from low to high and vice versa.  Image
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Best wishes for more trombone enjoyment in your futures!
ttf_willful.liam

Post by ttf_willful.liam »

Quote from: Ketch22 on Apr 16, 2017, 02:52PM
So to beginning players - join a band if they will have you. Soon you will be contributing to the band's overall sound and you'll feel really good about yourself and your playing. And feeling good about your playing is 90% of the way to becoming a really good player.  Image

K22

Feeling good about contributing is pretty important.  Lately, it is a bit difficult because I joined an "adult" band in addition to the "youth" band that I had been playing in.  I made a few pretty loud mistakes one day in practice and started feeling really worried about messing up our sound. We play about 10 pieces which I've only had a few weeks to learn. 

I started bringing a practice mute to rehearsal and using it for songs until I know the part well enough to not sound bad more than once or twice per song.  It seems to keep me from having too many "Oh sh17" moments, which can really destroy my confidence.  I also use it during warm up (when my sound is the worst).

Actually the first (and only) piece that I play 1st trombone for is still associated with painful memories.  It is pretty high and kind of a weird harmony and it doesn't go to first position much.  When I tried to sight read it, I kept started off on the wrong partial and then totally losing confidence in my intonation.  Every time we play it I still get a little tentative.  This is pretty bad because it takes lots of balls to play brass instruments.

With a practice mute, I can still work on songs without loosing any of my balls.  Nobody has said anything about it yet.  I guess it is kind of a n00bish habit to get into.

ttf_willful.liam

Post by ttf_willful.liam »

Quote from: Ketch22 on Apr 16, 2017, 02:52PM
So to beginning players - join a band if they will have you. Soon you will be contributing to the band's overall sound and you'll feel really good about yourself and your playing. And feeling good about your playing is 90% of the way to becoming a really good player.  Image

K22

Feeling good about contributing is pretty important.  Lately, it is a bit difficult because I joined an "adult" band in addition to the "youth" band that I had been playing in.  I made a few pretty loud mistakes one day in practice and started feeling really worried about messing up our sound. We play about 10 pieces which I've only had a few weeks to learn. 

I started bringing a practice mute to rehearsal and using it for songs until I know the part well enough to not sound bad more than once or twice per song.  It seems to keep me from having too many "Oh sh17" moments, which can really destroy my confidence.  I also use it during warm up (when my sound is the worst).

Actually the first (and only) piece that I play 1st trombone for is still associated with painful memories.  It is pretty high and kind of a weird harmony and it doesn't go to first position much.  When I tried to sight read it, I kept started off on the wrong partial and then totally losing confidence in my intonation.  Every time we play it I still get a little tentative.  This is pretty bad because it takes lots of balls to play brass instruments.

With a practice mute, I can still work on songs without loosing any of my balls.  Nobody has said anything about it yet.  I guess it is kind of a n00bish habit to get into.

Return to “Beginners and Returning Trombonists”