Brass shops new england ?

Forum rules
Welcome to TromboneChat Classifieds! Please read carefully, as our rules may differ from past experiences.

1. TromboneChat is not eBay and does not guarantee transaction satisfaction. Don't get scammed.

2. TromboneChat administrators and moderators are in no way endorsing any sellers, advertisers, or items.

3. TromboneChat Classifieds are free.

4. Occasional "bump posts" are allowed. Users who are, in the opinion of the moderators, abusing this privilege will be warned. After a warning, if the abuse continues, the user will be temporarily banned from posting.

5. Check the post date. It may be quite old. Sellers - update your post to let people know it's SOLD.

Enjoy browsing and posting in the Classifieds! Please send the moderators a PM if you need clarification.
marccromme

Brass shops new england ?

Post by marccromme » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:46 pm

Probably not the right forum ... but I am planning a summer family vacation in the US, and would like to know where to find interesting brass shops and second hand brass shops. maybe good collections too. We plan to visit

NY
Preston, CT 06365
Cape Cod
Hingham, MA 02043
Boston
White Mountains
Stowe VT
Ticonderoga, NY
Old Forge, NY
Wilson, NY
Niagara Falls
Montgomery, PA
Lancaster, PA
Asbury NJ
NY

Do you know of music and brass relates must-see on the side of this road trip?

Thanks! Marc
BGuttman

Re: Brass shops new england ?

Post by BGuttman » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:30 pm

First, locate Shires. They just moved, but aren't too far from where they used to be; just southwest of Boston. Let them know a little ahead of time and they will let you test all kinds of horns.

In Boston, your best bet is next door to Rayburn's near Symphony Hall. I don't know the name of the shop but people tell me there is a place with a lot more used gear. Rayburn's isn't what it used to be.

Finally, near Asbury NJ locate Dillon Music (near Iselin). They have one of the best selections of used instruments you will find anywhere.

Somewhere in your travels between Ticonderoga and Niagara Falls, you need to pass near Ithaca NY. Hickey's Music is in Ithaca. Great selection of sheet music and accessories.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
Matt K

Post by Matt K » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:09 am

Definitely check out Dillon music 100% for sure. They've always got a great selection. Last time I was there, I tried Shires, Edwards, M&W, Rath, and Lätzsch horns that were all less than a meter away from each other. Pretty awesome!
marccromme

Post by marccromme » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:57 pm

Great suggestions, thanks, I'll check them out and see if I can fit them into the route.

What about the city of NY ?? There must be some good shops and/or collections? I have three days there, so I can easily squeeze in one or two visits.
GabeLangfur

Post by GabeLangfur » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:40 pm

Rayburn's in Boston is closed. The shop next to its old location is called Virtuosity, and they are excellent. http://www.virtuosityboston.com/
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:18 pm

Thanks, Gabe. I haven't been down that way in quite a while.

As to New York, the best brass is out at Dillon's. There used to be a lot of musical instrument shops on 48th Street between 7th and 8th Avenue, but a lot of them are now gee-tar centers.
Bruce Guttman
boneagain

Post by boneagain » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:15 am

Looks like Ithaca, NY is a bit out of your way. Too bad. That's where Hickey's is. They usually have some decent instruments. Plenty of accessories. the best music selection I've seen. If you DON'T see something on the shelf there, it's worth asking at the desk. One time they sent me out to the "back room" to browse on my own. But that is NOT a regular thing AT ALL. Excellent service at the desk IS a regular thing!
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:15 pm

Marc,

Looks like a great itinerary.

In Boston, there is a fascinating collection of early instruments at the Museum of Fine Arts:
https://www.mfa.org/collections/musical-instruments
I believe there's also a nice small exhibit at Symphony Hall, only a kilometer away.

Even if you don't spend any time chasing brass instruments, you and your family should have a wonderful time in some interesting locations in our quirky country. Welcome. :hi: Enjoy!
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:19 pm

Osmium Brass is in the Boston suburbs. Not sure exactly where now - they used to be down the street from my sister's place. They are a bit more geared towards french horns, but they usually have some good accessories in stock, as well as usually at least a few decent trombones.

Plus one for Dillon's Music in NJ. An old, slightly run-down building in the middle of nowhere loaded with great vintage and new instruments and accessories, with great staff.

High rents, and internet sales has pretty much killed off the old inner city music shops. You have to be willing to travel to out of the way spots to be able to look for horns to try.

Jim Scott
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:33 pm

Osmun Brass is now located in Acton, about an hour northwest of Boston. They don't have much used stock. If you need a repair, they are world class. Hermann Baumann has them work his French Horns. They do great brass work on all instruments from trumpets to tubas.
Bruce Guttman

Return to “(Classifieds) Everything Else”