WTB: Budget Pro Small Bore

Forum rules
Welcome to TromboneChat Classifieds! Please read carefully, as our rules may differ from past experiences.

1. TromboneChat is not eBay and does not guarantee transaction satisfaction. Don't get scammed.

2. TromboneChat administrators and moderators are in no way endorsing any sellers, advertisers, or items.

3. TromboneChat Classifieds are free.

4. Occasional "bump posts" are allowed. Users who are, in the opinion of the moderators, abusing this privilege will be warned. After a warning, if the abuse continues, the user will be temporarily banned from posting.

5. Check the post date. It may be quite old. Sellers - update your post to let people know it's SOLD.

Enjoy browsing and posting in the Classifieds! Please send the moderators a PM if you need clarification.
fsgazda

WTB: Budget Pro Small Bore

Post by fsgazda » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:37 pm

I am interested in buying an inexpensive professional small bore trombone. Prefer .500 - .508 bore. Cosmetics not critical, but must be in good shape with a good+ slide. Yamaha, King, Bach, Conn or other brands considered.

I prefer to stay around $400 or so. The drawback is that I have very little small bore experience. You can see in my profile that I play yellow brass shires large tenor and bass. I don't know if my yellow brass preference would translate to a small bore or not. There are a couple of horns here that I am interested in, but I am gun shy because I really don't know what works well for me.

What will I use it for? Well, I'm not a jazz player, although I've played a little Dixieland. Mainly I just want to fill in the gap in my stable. I plan to use it on my next recital (this fall) for an Arthur Pryor piece (also playing the Finger Sonata on alto, Martin Ballade on big tenor, and the Brubeck Concerto on bass). I play some pit jobs, and have played a couple of shows that would have worked better on a smaller horn, so I may use it for that as well.

Would appreciate any feedback for what I should be looking for, as well as horns for sale.

Thanks!
Frank S. Gazda
Professor of Music, Delaware State University
Freelance Low Brass, Mid-Atlantic
www.firststatebrass.com
Doug Elliott

Re: WTB: Budget Pro Small Bore

Post by Doug Elliott » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:07 pm

Yamaha 354's can be found for less than that.
Olds trombones from the 50's and 60's would be a good choice - pretty much any of them.
You can borrow my Recording for a while if you want, but it's not for sale.
PhilipEdCarlson

Post by PhilipEdCarlson » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:09 pm

I've got too many small bore horns! I'm planning to sell the ones listed below, but haven't taken the time to put them out there. These are all smaller than what you're looking for, some more expensive. The slides are good, but I think all but one could benefit from a trip to the SlideDr (the one that wouldn't just got back from the Dr and is SUPER).
  • Conn 4H - $300
  • Conn 30H - $350
  • Olds Super - $400
  • Olds Super - $700
  • Buescher 410-TrueTone (TIS) - $275
Philip Carlson
TR-181, 72H, 88HCL, 32H, 30H, 4H, 50's Super, 40's Super, Buescher True-Tone 410 & The Buescher, Constellation Euph, Getzen Severenson
doctortrombone

Post by doctortrombone » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:22 pm

If you're till looking, I may have a few you might like. Some are still being reconditioned.

Martin Handcraft Imperial. Great horn for Dixieland. .475/.510 bore and 7" bell.

Conn 23H. Like a modern 6H. .500 bore with gold brass outers and a nickel crook.

I have others as well, but those two are right in your price range.
fsgazda

Post by fsgazda » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:05 am

doctortrombone wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:22 pm
If you're till looking, I may have a few you might like. Some are still being reconditioned.

Martin Handcraft Imperial. Great horn for Dixieland. .475/.510 bore and 7" bell.

Conn 23H. Like a modern 6H. .500 bore with gold brass outers and a nickel crook.

I have others as well, but those two are right in your price range.
Hi doctortrombone, check your PM.
Frank S. Gazda
Professor of Music, Delaware State University
Freelance Low Brass, Mid-Atlantic
www.firststatebrass.com

Return to “(Classifieds) Instruments & Parts”