Spin your yarns here.
Tbone1878

Post by Tbone1878 »

Hi new member here I used to play trombone 40 odd years ago in various types of bands in and around Liverpool area. Never got great but had a lot of fun. Now retired and would love to get back into Brass. Tried a trumpet but after struggling for ages have decided it's really just not for me so really fancy a trombone again. Really really wish I'd kept my King 2B but hey ho. Would welcome any advice re what to buy and a good tutor book to get me going again etc. I am thinking of maybe initially renting before purchase as it has been a long time just in case it doesn't work. Does any one have experience of John Packer rental trombones or similar?

Thanks

Marty
BGuttman

Re: New member

Post by BGuttman »

Packer-Rath trombones have gotten good press here. Good value for money. Similarly Wessex Tubas instruments.

There are a lot of good tutor books out there. You may need a basic one only for a few weeks to remember what time has put in the back of the mind. There are some really good advanced tutors free on line on www.imslp.org including Mantia "Trombone Virtuoso" and Blazhevich "School for Trombone". Also look for Cimera. At one tome the LaFosse method was on there but I think it has been taken down.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

You're probably better off just getting a used horn. A rental for a year costs about the sae price as a decent used pro horn everywhere that I've seen. You can get a 2B for as low as $400 if you're patient... but even $1200 or so for one isn't bad. I say the 2B because you liked one, but there are lots of quality used horns that would be perfectly fine. The YSL354 gets a lot of positive things said about it, even favorable to some professional horns, despite being a 'student' level instrument. Indeed, they can be quite good. They can also be beat up because they're student horns. But if you get one for say, $150-200 on eBay or elsewhere... literally the worst case scenario is that the slide isn't in good shape (because you can see other problems like huge bell dents and the like). If that's the case, because it's a crazily abundant horn, you can replace both the inners and the outers and still come out ahead relative to renting a horn.
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

I agree with the buy used statement but renting let’s you get started while you look for a good horn. Just don’t get locked into any long term contract for the rental.
Steve
pfrancis

Post by pfrancis »

New member too. Getting my posts in.
pfrancis

Post by pfrancis »

Packer trombones are nice instruments, they are certainly better built than many Chinese makes. A good price point for new instruments.

The Rath collaboration is also a nice aspect, though not too different from what Shires did with “Eastman by Shires” *before* they were actually the same company. Mainly leadpipe design and contribution, a few models designed but made overseas. Unfair to expect these to play “just like a Rath”
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Welcome back! Good hunting on your horn search.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Tbone1878

Post by Tbone1878 »

pfrancis wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:59 am Packer trombones are nice instruments, they are certainly better built than many Chinese makes. A good price point for new instruments.

The Rath collaboration is also a nice aspect, though not too different from what Shires did with “Eastman by Shires” *before* they were actually the same company. Mainly leadpipe design and contribution, a few models designed but made overseas. Unfair to expect these to play “just like a Rath”
Yeah that's the impression I get about Packers. I was planning on maybe a shortish rental of their basic one to see if it works out and then maybe either look secondhand or purchase from them as they deduct some of the rental payments off a purchase from them. The Yamaha YSL-354E looks pretty good but a little pricey to buy straight off if I don't get on with trombone after 40 odd years hence rent first.

Thanks

Marty
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

It probably makes more sense just to buy used right off the bat. You could buy two or three used horns for the price of a new one even deducting the rent. And the rent itself is going to be probably more than the price of a used one unless someone lets you rent for the 12 month rate for a month or two. Even then, you can get a used 354 in good shape for $100 if you're really patient but realistically closer to $300ish if you want to buy right now, in the middle of August when the demand for that level of instrument is the highest.
Tbone1878

Post by Tbone1878 »

Thanks for all your advice I am now renting a John Packer basic model. One month in and finding it harder than I remember 40 years ago but enjoying it. Tone is not great yet but improving gradually, at present concentrating on long notes, slow scales and harmonics in each position. What I have noticed though is that I seem to be sharp even in 1st with the tuning slide pulled way out. Does anyone have any thoughts, any advice gratefully accepted?

Thanks

Marty
tctb

Post by tctb »

Would it be worth finding a local trombone teacher of a suitable standard to get you back on the road? If not perhaps a local community band with an established trombone section to give you some support while you get going .The Amateur Orchestras web site might help you find something :
http://www.amateurorchestras.org.uk/
If I had known trombones were this much fun , I would have got one sooner! :cool:
Tbone1878

Post by Tbone1878 »

Thanks for advice tctb will be looking at local teachers and that web site looks very interesting

Marty

Return to “Tangents”