I had the strangest message on FB today.

Spin your yarns here.
demaxx1

I had the strangest message on FB today.

Post by demaxx1 »

A while back I had asked someone about a Conn 60H that was for sale. We talked about it but I passed on it for the moment, knowing that I had a 1948 Conn 70H being completely restored. Then since I come across a 2006 Conn 62HI, real a fantastic horn, and bought it for a good price. Anyway back to the message! The guy was telling me his was still for sale. I told him I wasn't interested and what horns I had now in my stable. He proceeds to tell me if I ever want to upgrade let him know!

This really struck me the wrong way. I am thinking a George Roberts started out on a 70H, plus The 62 HI is no slouch. It is a much better playing horn that a 62H.

Am I missing something or was the guy just being an ass?
Matt K
Verified

Re: I had the strangest message on FB today.

Post by Matt K »

I think you're probably just overthinking a "received your message" type of response. I've said similar things to many people, sometimes ironically others unironically. What do you say to someone who just indicated they aren't interested? Nothing? "k"? "Cool, good luck!" --- they can all be appropriate depending on the circumstance. I'd usually rather receive a similar invitation that they're welcome to contact me again at some point in the future than nothing! :)
demaxx1

Post by demaxx1 »

Matt K wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:30 pm I think you're probably just overthinking a "received your message" type of response. I've said similar things to many people, sometimes ironically others unironically. What do you say to someone who just indicated they aren't interested? Nothing? "k"? "Cool, good luck!" --- they can all be appropriate depending on the circumstance. I'd usually rather receive a similar invitation that they're welcome to contact me again at some point in the future than nothing! :)
Well, I would not have thought cross about it if he had not of come back two months later, after I had already passed, then put down my instruments. In the prior conversation when I passed. I told him I would pass the information around about his horn and see if I could help him sell it. Which I actually did for a few days until I didn't see his horn on the market place anymore, I figured it sold.

This wasn't a I just told him I wasn't interested, I told him a months ago I was going to hold off. The entire out of the blue message today I found to be quite odd, and insulting.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

That was me, and I apologize. I meant entirely in a joking tone that, in text, doesn't quite come across.

:shuffle:
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Sometimes it is probably better to not be English spoken as first language. It helps as I always assume people try to be nice to me and if they want to be rude I probably do not pick it up as easy because of the language barrier. I would never have thought the message you revieved to be sarcasm. I do not even understand why an apology is needed though I do think it is polite to apologise if somebody has been offended.
:trumpet: :roll:
I have probably offended a lot of people without realising it both verbal and musical. I apologize for that and for any bad word or note combinations that I may do unconsciously in the future.

/Tom
mrpillow

Post by mrpillow »

The internet is a scary place.
Organologique et plus!
demaxx1

Post by demaxx1 »

Burgerbob wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:50 pm That was me, and I apologize. I meant entirely in a joking tone that, in text, doesn't quite come across.

:shuffle:
accepted!

Return to “Tangents”