The Bunker

Spin your yarns here.
BaritoneJack

Re: Burnt

Post by BaritoneJack »

Jhereg wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:21 pm In other news. I think it's time to admit I've burnt out on being a musician. Don't feel obligated to respond or convince me otherwise or anything, I'm just thinking out loud. Kind of wish this really were a bar, I feel like this is something to be discussed over a beer.
Yep - been there, done that, still occasionally have nightmares about it, 30 years on; though in my case, it was working with horses, rather than as a pro musician. I ended up feeling as though I was their slave, and hated the sight of them. Getting out of it was a good move, and I only wish I'd done it sooner than I did. For several years, I didn't even want to look at a horse, let alone have anything to do with them. But several years later, when I'd just got an ordinary, 9-5, humdrum job, I started riding again, and thoroughly enjoyed it. No pressure, no demands, none of the relentlessness of having to think about them, and be responsible for them, every waking minute. Now, if I want to ride, I go to the yard, pay the bill, enjoy the ride, and walk away. If I don't feel like going, I don't.

And I remember when I ended up working for a multi-national company; supposedly a 'good job', with prospects, etc, etc, etc - but they treated their staff like cannon fodder. I used to wake up in the morning, think about going there, and groan. It was run on the 'just in time' basis - which meant if anything went wrong, everyone was tearing their hair out, because there was no slack in the system at all. One morning, I went in and was told that a bloke called Bob had been rushed into hospital after a massive heart attack. I was shocked, but not surprised - he was the production manager, and his job was to "get it out by Friday". So guess who took the brunt of the chaos when "just in time" became "OVERDUE!" ? That's right - Bob. He was just 41.

That night, I started looking for another job. Two weeks later, they sacked me - "not temperamentally suited to the company's ethos". Damn right, I wasn't! I walked up the road with my severance pay in my pocket, feeling as though I'd been let out of prison!

I believe it was Artie Shaw who was phoned up one day by his agent who had yet another string of bookings for him. Shaw said forget it, and intimated that if he had to play 'Begin the Beguine' once more, he wouldn't be held accountable for his actions. The agent pressed him, and asked what he was supposed to say to the people who wanted to book him. Shaw said "Tell them I'm insane."

"How do you mean?", asked his agent.

Shaw replied "If an all-American boy turns down a lot of money, wouldn't you say that he was insane?"

Sometimes, Megan, in order to take good care of yourself, you have to let the rest of the world go hang. Those who care about you will cut you all the slack you need, and still be there for you. Those who won't are no loss.

God bless.

Jack
PhilipEdCarlson

Re: The Bunker

Post by PhilipEdCarlson »

Lawrie wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:45 pm A couple of us were thinking about collective nouns for trombones the other day. In having a look around the internet for suggestions I found a reference to a "plague" of conductors :D :D :D
This Skeleton (¿group of trombones?) got together at a local Jazz Jam last night!
20180529_223549.jpg
With so mmy members of this forum together in real life it was like a Virtual Trombone Chat. You know, like any artificial Online Community. Live Action Internet. My wife, Sarah (who took this pic) suggested afterword that we should have a trombone party at the house this summer. Wonder how the neighbors would feel about that!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Philip Carlson
TR-181, 72H, 88HCL, 32H, 30H, 4H, 50's Super, 40's Super, Buescher True-Tone 410 & The Buescher, Constellation Euph, Getzen Severenson
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Wow, you guys are really young!

I'm used to thinking our group is mostly old furts like me.

I was at a conference for work last week, and we talked a bit about generations. To my surprise most of the group was GenX - in the past they've been Boomers like me. When I got back I checked my own workplace. We're about half and half, plus a couple of token Silent and Millennials.

Community bands in my area have tended to be older, white, and male, but that's changing a bit. I played with a different group last night and they were on average younger.
badger

Post by badger »

I guess hanging from the ceiling like that must be some late night tomfoolery.
Vampires?
StevenC

Post by StevenC »

timothy42b wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:43 am Community bands in my area have tended to be older, white, and male, but that's changing a bit. I played with a different group last night and they were on average younger.
The groups around here tend to have pretty good age and gender diversity. It's good for the group.
PhilipEdCarlson

Post by PhilipEdCarlson »

badger wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 5:53 pm I guess hanging from the ceiling like that must be some late night tomfoolery.
Vampires?
what's that about?
It did that in Preview too, so I knew it'd be upside-down. I tried editing the original pic. Flipped it upside-down thinking TC would flip it right side up. That didn't work so I went back to the original.
timothy42b wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:43 am Wow, you guys are really young!

I'm used to thinking our group is mostly old furts like me.
Community bands in my area have tended to be older, white, and male, but that's changing a bit. I played with a different group last night and they were on average younger.
At 54, I'm the oldest in this pic by nearly a decade and a half!
I'm usually on the young end in the Community Groups I play in, so, it is nice to hang out with some young people. I'm definitely on the older end in my department at work though!
Philip Carlson
TR-181, 72H, 88HCL, 32H, 30H, 4H, 50's Super, 40's Super, Buescher True-Tone 410 & The Buescher, Constellation Euph, Getzen Severenson
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Uh oh, a week since the last post.

I just want to share some success I'm proud of, even if it drives my family nuts.

On August 21, 2015, I went to our work Wellness Center and had them evaluate my health. I'd hovered around 180 the past two decades. They stuck me in a Bodpod to determine my body composition, and an oxygen hood to find my metabolic resting rate. Yup, overweight at 30.1% body fat. They made recommendations for calories per day, etc. I came down 22 pounds quickly and stabilized. My friends said I looked too skinny, but when I went back in I was still overweight at 22%. Last September at 155 pounds (I'm 5'10") I was still overweight. But I felt pretty good. They have my photo up in the Wellness Center holding 20 pounds of simulated fat, as a success story.

This spring I decided to take off a little more and see if I could get below that magic 20% body fat percentage. Today I weighed 141 and am officially no longer overweight at 15.8% fat. Dropping the first 30 pounds was easy, but the last 10 were hard fought.

On trombone I'm struggling with endurance a bit, I wonder if the recent weight loss affects it. I've dropped a bit in bench press strength too. Per the Bodpod, since September I've dropped 12 pounds of fat and 3 of nonfat. That isn't necessarily muscle, it can be water etc. and varies quite a bit. My disc golf drive stubbornly refuses to increase, but that's more a form issue rather than strength.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Good for you, Timothy! I was 194 when I retired two months ago, am down 8 pounds. Nothing special, just not tied to a computer or steering wheel all day five days a week, and not being on the road I don't eat fast food and soft drinks near as much as I used to. No need to "reward" myself with a donut or 32 oz. fountain drink (or both if I was REALLY bad) on the way home on a day with 7 hours on site and four hours driving.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

PhilipEdCarlson wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:22 am
badger wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 5:53 pm I guess hanging from the ceiling like that must be some late night tomfoolery.
Vampires?
what's that about?
It did that in Preview too, so I knew it'd be upside-down. I tried editing the original pic. Flipped it upside-down thinking TC would flip it right side up. That didn't work so I went back to the original.
Fixed: :)
jam_session_june_2018.jpg
JPEG files sometimes have a property that is auto set when you take the picture that records the orientation of the phone. Thusly, this was taken 'upside down' relative to what it was expecting. So even when you rotate it, the change isn't persistent (it doesn't wipe out that orientation). Why anyone would find that a useful feature that overrides being rotated is beyond me :idk:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

I had my routine checkup with my primary care physician Friday. He said my blood pressure was way too low - with the weight loss, I was over medicated. He took me off the meds completely. Woo hoo! But now I have to be careful it lasts. Weight is SO easy to put on, compared to taking it off.
StevenC

Post by StevenC »

Fourth of July in Rosendale, NY starts the way it usually does. A cross section of town residents, onstage in Rosendale Theater, read the Declaration of Independence. This year the follow-up reading was by Elizabeth Cady Stanton. Then the band plays. This year we played some funked up version of "America the Beautiful". We led the audience out of the theater playing "Sweet Dreams".
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

I attended the celebration at the local Army base.

There was a headline top 40s commercial band, then the Army band took the stage.

They used only their small groups, not the full concert band; they did a set of popular music, then the big band took the stage. The full band never played. I don't remember that happening before but it clearly made the crowd happy. There were lots of vocals, and done very well. I think it is now necessary to double on voice in a military band.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Showed up for my fireworks concert and there were no French Horns. I knew one was a Late Looey Iand she usually plays principal). So I got the 2nd Horn book and played a cmbination of Eb and F music for the evening. I think my brain still hurts from all the transposing/reading.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
StevenC

Post by StevenC »

Oh yeah, we had a late gig at a barbecue. We went out and played what we could play without sheet music. Unfortunately, we didn't have percussion, and recruited from the audience. It was in keeping with the spirit of the gig. We had a pair of claves, an egg shaker and a kind of double cowbell thing. Oh yeah, our tuba player also wasn't there. Not a problem, since I enjoy playing her parts.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

timothy42b wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:44 amThey used only their small groups, not the full concert band; they did a set of popular music, then the big band took the stage. The full band never played.
They may have been double-booked and had to split the band. I've seen that happen with Navy Band Southwest.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

JohnL wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:04 pm
timothy42b wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:44 amThey used only their small groups, not the full concert band; they did a set of popular music, then the big band took the stage. The full band never played.
They may have been double-booked and had to split the band. I've seen that happen with Navy Band Southwest.
That could be, but I dunno. I never see a full military band except at a change of command for a commanding general.

I think it is a realization that nobody in the age range of the usual crowd wants to hear a wind ensemble play traditional wind ensemble music. Perhaps it will survive as a pedagogical genre, or perhaps it will not outlive us, I'm not sure.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

There was a change in command at Hanscom AFB (near Boston) and there wasn't a full band. Only an ad hoc collection of volunteer musicians (including me). I felt bad for the two generals. In their infinite wisdom, the Air Force eliminated both the Band of Liberty (stationed at Hanscom) and the Reserve Band of Cape Cod. Left no Air Force band (regular or reserve) within 300 miles.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz »

Last edited by Schlitz on Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blast

Post by blast »

Schlitz wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:48 pm
JohnL wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:04 pm They may have been double-booked and had to split the band. I've seen that happen with Navy Band Southwest.
I haven’t kept up on all of the navy music program staffing changes since I got out. But I’ve read each band has about 35 people, plus some tdy folks when the job load increases. When I was in, it was an 17 piece band on the gig, with the rock band on tour, and a brass quintet out doing conflicts. I think think they have a uniform band size of 35 people now. In the old days, San Diego, Great Lakes, and Norfolk had 45 in each band, with folks rotating in and out. We had smaller groups back then, when most had a minor instrument. I don’t think that’s required anymore.
Most quintets I have played in were conflict zones.... even outside the sevices .

Chris
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

blast wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:11 am
Most quintets I have played in were conflict zones.... even outside the sevices .

Chris
Democracy in action!
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
StevenC

Post by StevenC »

Yesterday, I was driving home from an interview on a two lane state highway. I was southbound. A car from the northbound lane drove right into me. I really had no chance of avoiding contact. Many airbags deployed. The car was wrecked, but I only have burns on my right arm from the airbag, and lacerations and hematoma on my left arm.

My daughter has sound priorities. Her question was would I be able to play in a concert we had last night. I was able to play.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Glad you're OK! I've been in a similar situation except it was because I fell asleep and went off the road. Maybe that's what happened to the other driver? At least I didn't hit anybody else.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I second the feelings! Cars can be replaced, but you can't.

I did just what Doug did when I totaled my car two years ago. Spent 4 days in the hospital and another 2 weeks in rehab -- 4 broken ribs.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
StevenC

Post by StevenC »

Doug Elliott wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:58 pm Glad you're OK! I've been in a similar situation except it was because I fell asleep and went off the road. Maybe that's what happened to the other driver? At least I didn't hit anybody else.
Yes that is what happened to the other driver. There was a tractor trailer ahead of me. The northbound car clipped the tractor trailer before hitting me head on. This could have been so much worse for the northbound driver.
StevenC

Post by StevenC »

The insurance company declared the car a total loss. I sent them the title, and they will send me a check. The car was a 2015 diesel, so replacing it won't be entirely trivial. I do a lot of highway miles, so I do want another diesel.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Was it one of those Volkswagens that cheated on the emissions tests? :evil:

You can get good mileage with non-Diesel cars. Look into the hybrids. They use a gas engine simply to generate electricity and use that electricity to run the car.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Interesting story on NPR this week.

They were talking about hybrids and the idea of conspicuous conservation, as opposed to conspicuous consumption. In some affluent areas, showing off with expensive toys increases status.

In areas where an environmental ethic is shared, the same may be true with obvious "green" methods. In these areas, people tend to prefer hybrids that are obvious, such as the Prius, rather than other manufacturers that would seem to be of otherwise equal value. They did the research by getting vehicle registration records and voting registration numbers, it was quite ingenious.
StevenC

Post by StevenC »

A videographer came to our rehearsal last night. It set up some conflict between wanting to sound good, and wanting to work on what needed it the most.
StevenC

Post by StevenC »

Minimum capacity for my car is the trunk has to comfortably carry two trombones. When either our Subaru Impreza or our Volkswagen Golf had two trombones in the trunk, there wasn't much space left. The Golf has been replaced by a Golfwagen. The trunk is huge. It could probably easily carry five trombones.
Tetraphosphate

Post by Tetraphosphate »

:tenorclef:
PhilipEdCarlson wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:15 am A Sack
(A Sack of Trombones, a Sack of Posaune, a Sack of Bones, a Sack of Buttheads... Just: a Sack)
I'm 3 months late to the conversation, but... a sack of sackbuts
-----
Do look at the trombones!
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

timothy42b wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:15 pm Interesting story on NPR this week.

They were talking about hybrids and the idea of conspicuous conservation, as opposed to conspicuous consumption. In some affluent areas, showing off with expensive toys increases status.

In areas where an environmental ethic is shared, the same may be true with obvious "green" methods. In these areas, people tend to prefer hybrids that are obvious, such as the Prius, rather than other manufacturers that would seem to be of otherwise equal value. They did the research by getting vehicle registration records and voting registration numbers, it was quite ingenious.
My wife drives a Ford Focus FFE, a pure plug-in electric. Looks just like a Focus with a different grill. Totally inconspicuous as an all-electric car. I am looking at a low milage used Ford C-Max hybrid rated 42 city/38 highway to replace my 155k mile Sonata. Alternate would be a Kia Niro hybrid, rated 52 city/49 highway, but they are so new there are no deals on used ones. Both of those five door hatchbacks look "normal".
Greg Songer
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

I'm sitting in Seattle at the moment (second visit to a son who's working at Amazon now), and have to regard the area as one of at least some kind of "conspicuous conservation" -- particularly after a 15 minute debate my wife and I had concerning what stuff was supposed to go in which of the garbage/recycling/compostables cans for refuse collection. And whether the instructions for that were even consistent and intelligible. And then there are the fishing regulations that I'm pretty confident are incomprehensible to virtually everyone. However, I'm also impressed with the density of Tesla's, Porches, and other high-end vehicles I encounter on the roads here. Perhaps the one is used to offset feelings about the others. :roll: I wonder what the stats and analytics would show. :D
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K10/112 Lexan, M&K GR Nickel leadpipe
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

I hope those who live in the Carolinas are doing okay with the weather.

Hurricane Florence was predicted to have an impact on my area but turned south and mostly missed us. We're in the outer rain bands but that's about all.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I have a different problem. We're supposed to have an orchestra Board meeting at the North Andover MA Senior Center. I'll hAve to find out if they have power and if they are acting as a shelter.

For those who were under a rock, there were several explosions in Andover, North Andover, and Lawrence from overpressurized gas lines.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

People are DEFINITELY NOT DOING WELL in New Bern and Jacksonville. My wife just informed me that Fayetteville is being evacuated and I-95 is closed down there. We assume US 1 is as well. I don't know what's going on at the base(s). I assume they aren't evacuating. :shock:

We're about 45 miles north of there, and after a lot of preparation (we live in the country on about 6.5 acres), the storm has proved to be a non-event for us. No loss of power. We're on high ground; so no flooding. Wind so far never more than about 25 mph. No trees down.

However, I do expect trees to be coming down over the next week. The ground here was excessively wet before the storm and we're getting about 3" a day -- which will be tapering off some time mid or late next week. So trees will fall. Chain saw is ready.

Our big problem (other than staying out of the way of falling 80 ft trees) is mowing the grass and weeds that grew over the 4 weeks we spent in Seattle. I think that's going to require a pass with the tractor, and then the lawn guys can go after it. :)
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K10/112 Lexan, M&K GR Nickel leadpipe
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
StevenC

Post by StevenC »

Sometimes it feels like playing low brass in an orchestra is less about playing good music than it is about getting a really good seat.
Last edited by StevenC on Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

StevenC wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:05 pm Sometimes it feels like playing low brass in an orchestra is less about playing good music than it is about get a really good seat.
A symphony trombone player (I forget whom) once called symphony playing "hours of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror". I agree.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

This would be off topic if this thread had a topic, but............

Years ago I bought a cheap Wallyworld UV flashlight thinking it might make pet waste fluoresce. It never did, but it did make posters etc. show up brightly.

But my sister has had an invasion of mice, and I revisited the topic. Instead of the cheapie at 390 nm wavelength, I bought a slightly more expensive one at 365 nm.

Here's the weird thing: cobwebs fluoresce. I have cobwebs some weird places I didn't expect. Also the bathroom needs cleaning. Currency (if not counterfeit) shows some interesting patterns. Anybody want to lend me a $500 so I can see what that looks like?

People use these to hunt scorpions, but there aren't any this far north.

I have been warned by the nice folk at Candlepower forums that 1. you should wear eye protection and 2. NEVER under any circumstances bring one into a motel room.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

There is a whole range of UV lights. Note that each of those lights actually emit a band of light with the strongest light at that frequency. Most of the UV cured materials I used were cured around 365 nm. This is close to the blue end of the visible spectrum and you can see some of it.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

Just geezin' here.
Remembering the early 60's and the Carl Fischer music store on Boylston Street in Boston.
That was near Symphony Hall and New England Conservatory. Some fine trombonists from those places moonlighted
at the store. I was a young student then, with no spare money. They would ask me to play for them, and then I would get a free quickie lesson. No charge. Just really fine people dedicated to their art. The store is gone now, and so are those musicians, but the things they taught me are still alive.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Note that we will not have a new Bunke for 2019. This one is still in good shape. Happy New Year to all.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
StevenC

Post by StevenC »

At orchestra rehearsal last night, I kept hearing Gamelan being played in a distant room. I found it ... distracting.
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Huh. I have some fond memories of The Bunker on the original TTF. Not that I contributed a whole lot - but knowing it was there.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

AndrewMeronek wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:40 pm Huh. I have some fond memories of The Bunker on the original TTF. Not that I contributed a whole lot - but knowing it was there.
I have kept the Bunker on this site, but it's nowhere near as popular as it was on TTF. That's one reason why I don't start a new one each year. Please feel free to post stuff here; sorta like our little tromboney chat room.

Steve, any conflicting sound can make a rehearsal uncomfortable. Gamelan would only be exceeded by a bagpipe ensemble :evil:
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
cmcslide

Post by cmcslide »

Q: Why do bagpipers walk around when they play?
A: They can't stand that racket either!
StevenC

Post by StevenC »

BGuttman wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:17 am Steve, any conflicting sound can make a rehearsal uncomfortable. Gamelan would only be exceeded by a bagpipe ensemble :evil:
The strange thing was no one else seemed to notice. Having played Gamelan, I knew where the music was going, so it was especially distracting.
StevenC

Post by StevenC »

I'm sanding the corks on my H&B cup mute so that it fits my tenor. I guess that means I'll need a cup mute for bass sometime in the next year...
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

Anyone come across pieces recently that shouldn't have been written? Covering a seat for a friend in an orchestra that has one of these on the program... "Carnival Fever," Cynthia Wong. Whoever reviewed her compositions as "beautiful" clearly never heard this one... it should be titled "A Carny's Fever Dream."
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

paulyg wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:28 pm Anyone come across pieces recently that shouldn't have been written? Covering a seat for a friend in an orchestra that has one of these on the program... "Carnival Fever," Cynthia Wong. Whoever reviewed her compositions as "beautiful" clearly never heard this one... it should be titled "A Carny's Fever Dream."
You always run the risk of playing duds when you play new music. It clearly has not stood the test of time. There are probably tons of mediocre music from the 18th and 19th centuries that we don't play for good reason.

But if we don't play the new stuff we may never find out if there is a gem there.

Just chalk it up to experience.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

paulyg wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:28 pm Anyone come across pieces recently that shouldn't have been written? Covering a seat for a friend in an orchestra that has one of these on the program... "Carnival Fever," Cynthia Wong. Whoever reviewed her compositions as "beautiful" clearly never heard this one... it should be titled "A Carny's Fever Dream."
I remember sight reading a piece in high school jazz band that was really bad. We turned the music upside down and played the first line or two. It actually sounded better upside down!
Greg Songer

Return to “Tangents”