Rank Beginner

ttf_anonymous

Rank Beginner

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hello, I haven't played in over forty years and my trombone arrived to day.  Frankly, I don't remember the bass clef nor the positions.  Could anyone suggest:
  • [li]Music apps to help me get in tune[/li][li]position chart[/li][li]sound bite / play along mp3[/li][li]books[/li]
Thanks everyone
ttf_robcat2075

Rank Beginner

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

If you're on Windows or Mac, LSTune is a free strobe tuner.

ttf_robcat2075

Rank Beginner

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

There are numerous potential play-alongs in my signature although they are probably not ideal for where you are right nnow, just starting over.

Welcome back to the trombone!
ttf_MilesMonkMingus

Rank Beginner

Post by ttf_MilesMonkMingus »

thanks guys.

I've found Bass Turner: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.finestandroid.basstunner&hl=en and Mr. Glynn on youtube
ttf_11914227

Rank Beginner

Post by ttf_11914227 »

There are plenty of tuner apps on your phone which you can find, for both Android and Apple.

My personal favorite is n-Track Tuner, recommended by someone on the forum many moons ago. I like it because it functions as a regular tuner, but it also has a few octaves for you to tune to a drone, which, personally, I believe develops your ear to be in tune with what's going on around you better. You can also set the individual Hz level so you can set that to any note you want from 0 Hz to somewhere above 21,000 Hz.

Also, a simple google search will give you the numbers to input to get specific notes.

For the positions chart -

http://www.norlanbewley.com/trombone/slide-positions.htm

This one has not only straight tenor but a separated list for tenor and F-attachment, as well as a third for Bb/F/Gb Indy bass, as well as tenor and Bb treble clef versions, so it will remain useful as you advance through bass clef and beyond.

I can't help you with play-alongs. Not my area of expertise.

For books, a good bet would be to look for basics books, something that looks like a middle school would have their 6th graders get. Essential Elements 2000 is the one my school systems use, though some pieces will sound weird as they are written to have all the parts with them.

Good luck in your new (Is it new if you've done it before, but not for a long time?) hobby! I hope you enjoy yourself and find many years of enjoyment out of it.
ttf_BGuttman

Rank Beginner

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

For a beginner book I like the Tune a Day ones.  I have one that is about 40 years old and the tunes are a bit dated for today's kids, but would work fine for somebody who isn't a kid.

Not too many reasonable free method books online.  I know of a few but they are way too advanced for a rank beginner.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Rank Beginner

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

The entire Rubank system can be bought used very inexpensively off Amazon. After you get going a little bit with that system, you could join a community band and/or buy Band-in-a-Box and have access to literally thousands of play-alongs by joining their Yahoo chat group.

...Geezer
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Rank Beginner

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Get strong fast -- get Brad Edwards' "Lip Slurs"

ttf_Geezerhorn

Rank Beginner

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Mar 10, 2017, 05:03AMGet strong fast -- get Brad Edwards' "Lip Slurs"

The OP never stated if it was a straight horn or a trigger horn. If it is a straight horn, the book you mentioned above will be of marginal value.

...Geezer
ttf_anonymous

Rank Beginner

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Mar 09, 2017, 08:45PMThe entire Rubank system can be bought used very inexpensively off Amazon. After you get going a little bit with that system, you could join a community band and/or buy Band-in-a-Box and have access to literally thousands of play-alongs by joining their Yahoo chat group.

...Geezer
I agree with Geezer, the Rubank system is good
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Rank Beginner

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Mar 10, 2017, 05:10AMThe OP never stated if it was a straight horn or a trigger horn. If it is a straight horn, the book you mentioned above will be of marginal value.

...Geezer

Aside from the exercises that go below the staff, you can still play it usimg glisses where the valve would have been.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Rank Beginner

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Mar 10, 2017, 08:00AMAside from the exercises that go below the staff, you can still play it usimg glisses where the valve would have been.

Yes, but I find it awkward and unmusical. Why not just pick up the "15-Minute Warm Up" and the "20-Minute Warm Up" books by Michael Davis instead. They have basic and advanced slurring in them also AND can be used on straight as well as trigger horns. But the OP probably bought himself a trigger horn. That's what almost everyone buys these days.

...Geezer
ttf_vegasbound

Rank Beginner

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Take some lessons! Image
ttf_MilesMonkMingus

Rank Beginner

Quote from: vegasbound on Mar 10, 2017, 09:25AMTake some lessons! Image

First I'm going to relearn the position and a few basic scales.  Then, when I look ackward, as oppose to lost, I'll take some lessons

Thanks everyone
ttf_MikeBMiller

Rank Beginner

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Mar 09, 2017, 08:45PMThe entire Rubank system can be bought used very inexpensively off Amazon. After you get going a little bit with that system, you could join a community band
...Geezer

No disrespect to the OP, but every time I see someone who is new to an instrument being advised to join a community band, I want to get up and scream. For the sake of this country's community bands, please at least attain some level of proficiency on the instrument before showing up at a rehearsal. Every time we get a rank beginner in our band, it lowers the level of the whole band. I keep begging the leadership to require some standard of players, but I keep getting ignored and we remain a mediocre band because good players don't want to come out and play with all the bad players.
ttf_timothy42b

Rank Beginner

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Quote from: MikeBMiller on Mar 23, 2017, 07:14AMNo disrespect to the OP, but every time I see someone who is new to an instrument being advised to join a community band, I want to get up and scream. For the sake of this country's community bands, please at least attain some level of proficiency on the instrument before showing up at a rehearsal.
I feel your pain, but I don't agree with your solution.

Those who try to become accomplished before joining are just like those who are going to the gym just as soon as they lose some weight - it never happens.  The motivation and rewards provided by the group are what keep them going through the early hard parts.

In our area there are "no audition" community bands and then there are some higher level ones.  The answer is to start where you can, and move up when you improve. 
ttf_MikeBMiller

Rank Beginner

We only have one band in town, so that's not really an option.
ttf_watermailonman

Rank Beginner

Post by ttf_watermailonman »

Quote from: MikeBMiller on Mar 23, 2017, 07:14AMNo disrespect to the OP, but every time I see someone who is new to an instrument being advised to join a community band, I want to get up and scream. For the sake of this country's community bands, please at least attain some level of proficiency on the instrument before showing up at a rehearsal. Every time we get a rank beginner in our band, it lowers the level of the whole band. I keep begging the leadership to require some standard of players, but I keep getting ignored and we remain a mediocre band because good players don't want to come out and play with all the bad players.

As long as it is not a band with professinal players this will be an ever lasting problem.

A band starts up with players of about the same level. Some players quit and are replaced by good or not so good players. If the standard goes worse the better players seek another band. Only the less skilled will stay. If the leader wants a good band he needs to test the players. Let them try once and if they do not fit they need to seek another band. I have quit bands because standard got to low. I decided I did not want to sit and wait for others to learn. If you think you can make better use of your time in another band or doing something else then that's what you need to do.

/Tom
ttf_Nanook

Rank Beginner

Post by ttf_Nanook »

It isn't often that I think I can contribute to the high level of expertise on this forum, but in this case I have walked in M3's footsteps....I bought a student trombone, mistake, should have bought something better, knowing I could sell it if I didn't stick with it...I spent too long trying to get better before I started lessons, mistake, I should have started lessons right out of the gate, I'd be much further a head....I joined a community band, mistake, with my lessons and 1.5 hour a day practice for those, I didn't have the time nor the energy to devote to practicing the community band music....I hope to join the band again this summer....I'm 14 months with lessons into my journey after a 40 plus years away, My instructor told me he'd make a player out of me in 4 years, god I hope he's right, because frankly right now I don't see it....One thing for certain I have learned...It's hard, and I have more respect than ever for anyone who can play any instrument....
I'm a huge fan of the 15 min warm up book, I'm still challenged by it after over a year....

Welcome back and best of luck...
Nanook
ttf_BGuttman

Rank Beginner

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

@MikeMiller:

There are bands who take all comers and bands who have aspirations.  Generally the latter are auditioned and require a fair level of musicianship.  The level of your band is not set by you; it's set by the Board of Directors.  Your job as leader is to find music that provides just enough of a challenge that the poorer players will strive to improve and not be totally frustrated.

If you want a better band and the general rule is "take all comers", make a special group of the best players with some challenging music.  Give them either a special moment in a regular concert or have them play special concerts.

Our Hollis band has two requirements: (1) you have to be able to play sixteenth notes and you have to be able to climb the stairs to the rehearsal room.  We have had parent and child pairs where the parent would often simplify the part so the child can play.  As the child gets better there is less simplification.  Many of them have gone on to win All State competitions even if they never decided to pursue a career in music.
ttf_Radar

Rank Beginner

Post by ttf_Radar »

I like the Rubanks method suggested by others here, but first and foremost I would start with some lessons.  Each teacher is going to have a method book they prefer.  I find it easier the sooner you catch bad habits the easier it is to correct them.  If you practice something wrong for months and then take lessons you'll have to unlearn that bad habit the right way.  You will progress much faster with a teacher than without one.  If you start off with a good teacher you can get correction sooner.  Once you have developed some proficiency on the horn finding a community band is a great way to improve.  If your town has a new Horizons program they have bands at different playing levels, and offer a great opportunity to play with others. You want a group that challenges you current level, but is not so far over your head that you aren't cutting it.   
ttf_MikeBMiller

Rank Beginner

Quote from: BGuttman on Mar 23, 2017, 10:21AM@MikeMiller:

If you want a better band and the general rule is "take all comers", make a special group of the best players with some challenging music.  Give them either a special moment in a regular concert or have them play special concerts.competitions even if they never decided to pursue a career in music.

That would be a great idea if we had enough people to create a separate group with the better players. Unfortunately, the whole band is lucky to have 50 people on a good day. As they say, it is what it is. It gives me something to do on Tuesday nights and sometimes we enjoy a frosty beverage afterwards.
ttf_MilesMonkMingus

Rank Beginner

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Mar 10, 2017, 05:10AMThe OP never stated if it was a straight horn or a trigger horn. If it is a straight horn, the book you mentioned above will be of marginal value.

...Geezer

Straight horn.  Old's Ambassador

Needs a dent taken out of the slide
ttf_MilesMonkMingus

Rank Beginner

...Geezer

Straight horn.  Old's Ambassador

Needs a dent taken out of the slide

Return to “Beginners and Returning Trombonists”