Headphones (cans) in the Studio

Neo Bri

Headphones (cans) in the Studio

Post by Neo Bri »

Hey frands.

I do a reasonable amount of studio work where I need to wear headphones. Here are the problems:

The phones clank against my horn (especially if I'm playing bass)
Too bulky

If I try earbuds, which are obviously not in the way, I can't wear one of my ears half-way, if that makes sense. I need some sound from the can and some from the section.

Ideally, I'd like a very low-profile set of good headphones for this application. Bear in mind, they really do need to be low-profile. The angle at which I play my horn makes this very necessary.
tbonedude

Re: Headphones (cans) in the Studio

Post by tbonedude »

You need something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DT- ... amic+DT252

I've seen them much cheaper then this set, but single-ear headsets like this are popular for brass and string players in the studio.
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

I know this post is kind of old, but you should look into in-ear monitors (IEMs). If price is an issue, then you an get the single driver IEMs. I haven't heard anyone talk badly about them, but if you're pretentious about your sound, then you can look in the dual and triple driver IEMs.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ones-clear

SE 215 (single)
SE 425 (dual)
SE 535 (triple)

On a side note, I also bought a decent pair of Audio Technica Studio Monitors Headphones for my home studio. And I use my IEMs for live stuff.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... headphones

If you bought something already, I'm curious to know what you ended up with.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
ddickerson

Post by ddickerson »

I always use just one earbud in my right ear, and keep the other ear open.
Kanstul 1550
Kanstul 1606
kenkugler

Post by kenkugler »

Stanton DJ Pro 300 - single sided phones. $39.99 at Sam Ash not the greatest fidelity but very usable.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... gLEXPD_BwE
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I use earbuds with both not all the way in. Usually with the right one almost falling out so I can hear more acoustically, and the left one almost sealing so it has more low end.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
TheBoneRanger

Post by TheBoneRanger »

kenkugler wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:07 am Stanton DJ Pro 300 - single sided phones. $39.99 at Sam Ash not the greatest fidelity but very usable.
I've been trying to locate some of these for over a year. Out of stock everywhere. Likely long discontinued...

Andrew
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

tbonedude wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:37 pm You need something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DT- ... amic+DT252

I've seen them much cheaper then this set, but single-ear headsets like this are popular for brass and string players in the studio.
I've been using a set of these for over 2 years in the studio. They fit around my tenor and bass bones...and the sound is great. I also carry a Rolls headphone amp in case I need more volume than the studio's headphone amp can provide.
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
ExZacLee

Post by ExZacLee »

Those DT 252s look cool - I might need to see if we can req some next time we purchase headphones!

Sony MDR V6 used to be my fave - they look like they may be a bit different now so try a pair at Guitar Center or somewhere before buying. I liked them because I could fold one side up above my ear - didn't get in the way of my bell that way. They're about $100
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... A514&smp=Y

A good pair of closed back phones like this is great to have in your arsenal - notice the swivel joints. I do not know why this isn't offered as an option on more "high end" cans. Not only does it allow you to fold up the side, it's comfy that way.

If you get in-ears, be kind to yourself. It's really easy to get used to a level of volume that will do damage over the long term - even more-so than cans. Also, be careful with your click volume when using them: when I'm tracking down click bleed, it's coming from in-ears more often than not. To be fair to the in-ear fans, this is usually from players with noticeably damaged hearing - if you keep your click level low it shouldn't be an issue. The only time I used in-ears and liked the experience, they had a separate engineer for our headphone mix and on stage monitors and the guy was pretty on top of it. Good engineers make good equipment sound great.
MagnumH

Post by MagnumH »

Looking to revive this thread after a couple of uncomfortable studio days recently. I'm having a similar problem to Neo Bri - where the cans clunk against my horn and force me into an unnatural playing position. Plus, like others, I only like to wear one headphone, but it's a pain to get the engineer to pan things accordingly. (Especially as I like to wear them on my right ear, but I also like to keep the cable on the right side, away from the horn. Since the cable normally attaches to the L can, this means I have to reverse them.) I'd love a good single-ear can that takes care of these issues.

So... any other recommendations for good single-ear headphones of a decent-to-good quality? Are the Beyerdynamic DT252s the only good choice, beyond the fold-up ones like the Sony MDRs (which concern me because a) I worry the folded up side would still clash with the horn and b) I have a larger head and it would likely become uncomfortable after a few hours recording.
Matt Hawke
Trombonist/Arranger/Bandleader
White Hot Brass Band // The Sideways // The Brass Machine
Stable: BAC Paseo W6 w/ DE MTN102 B+3; King 3B/F w/ Bach 4C; King 2B w/ King 12C
soseggnchips

Post by soseggnchips »

I've not tried the single-sided DT-252, but have the 'normal' two-sided version (DT-250) which I use for general listening and have been very pleased with. Excellent sound quality, and very comfortable to wear for long periods of time. Extremely well built - I've had mine 10 years, and they look like they've just come out of the box. The cable (usually the weak point on headphones in my experience) is replaceable, but I haven't needed to do so yet.
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

I've been using the single sided DT-250 for about 8 years. I had a Stanton single sided DJ headphone before that that was excellent, but fell apart after years of trips to the studio. The DT-250 solves all the horn banging issues. I also carry a Rolls headphone amp in case I need a bit more volume than the studio headphone amp will put out (just hook studio to Rolls to headphone which require 80 ohms or better to run efficiently). DT-250 also has a 10-30K Hrz frequency response, so you don't miss anything. Also have used them many times in the pit orchestra setting. Championship every time!
vetsurginc

Post by vetsurginc »

Which Rolls amp? Been there sitting on a nest of wires trying to hear weak output from the click track/director line . Fun in a weird way, but....
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

I'm using the Rolls HA43 Pro. $ channel headphone amp. Input = 1/4 stereo plug or R/L RCA jack. Out put (x4) = 1/4 stereo plug or 1/8 stereo plug on all 4 channels.
aboumaia

Post by aboumaia »

Last edited by aboumaia on Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MagnumH

Post by MagnumH »

aboumaia wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:24 pm I'm using a Sennheiser HD25 for years, you can remove one side if needed, and use it single-sided or not.
Are they the ones where one side of the cans swivels away from you, so it can behind your ear? Or you can completely remove one can?
Matt Hawke
Stable: BAC Paseo W6 w/ DE MTN102 B+3; King 3B/F w/ Bach 4C; King 2B w/ King 12C
aboumaia

Post by aboumaia »

Last edited by aboumaia on Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

This probably won't help, but I like to use open backs and have the engineer change the click to a loud hiss. The hiss isn't picked up by a mic, and I can hear myself play almost as if no headphones are on. It is an extra step for the engineer, but if the project is worth it and you are that engineer's friend, all they need to do is to not route the DAW's met to your monitors, and have the metronome do a send to a white noise generator and route that to your monitor. There may be a delay in a live setting, so they can also bounce that white noise track to an actual audio file and just have that available for anyone else who likes open back phones, and eliminate any delay.

I do this for any acoustic recording projects I do and the questions I always get are:

"What are these headphones? They make it easy for me to hear myself"
"Why aren't all click tracks hiss tracks?"

This might not work in every setting, especially where a loud percussion track is bleeding too much. But usually, bleed from the monitor track is far below whatever is going to bleed from the guys next to you anyways. If the percussionist is in the room with you, there is no way he will bleed less than the headphones. Oddly, the more "classical" the recording, the less this bleed matters or shows up.

Why do I do this? I can't play (properly) with closed back cans, can't stand a loud click, and half-on half-off causes the click to bleed and it's uncomfortable.
Cmillar

Post by Cmillar »

Koss Porta-Pro's.

Excellent sound, and they are open-air so you can hear your own horn nicely as well.

They won't bang against your horn either. Amazing price for what you get.
Peacemate

Post by Peacemate »

Cmillar wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:03 pm Koss Porta-Pro's.

Excellent sound, and they are open-air so you can hear your own horn nicely as well.

Buying these was literally the best investment I have made in audio literally ever. Even just as regular headphones they punch above their weight, price and size class.
Student in Sweden, usually looking for more trombones
olivegreenink

Post by olivegreenink »

Peacemate wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:27 pm

Buying these was literally the best investment I have made in audio literally ever. Even just as regular headphones they punch above their weight, price and size class.
Long time happy user of these as well.

Cheers
MagnumH

Post by MagnumH »

Interesting cheaper option for sure! No issues with click tracks etc. bleeding through to recordings?
Matt Hawke
biggiesmalls

Post by biggiesmalls »

Those Koss look like a good solution.

I've replaced the foams a couple of times on my Sennheiser 414's and rewired them once since I bought them in 1980. Still my favorites.
Last edited by biggiesmalls on Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cmillar

Post by Cmillar »

MagnumH wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:20 pm

Interesting cheaper option for sure! No issues with click tracks etc. bleeding through to recordings?
None at all. Really....these things are fantastic. The sound blows away many more expensive headphones. They haven't changed in style or design since the 1980's. There's a reason why they're still the same....they're excellent.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

The fact that those secure on your temples instead of your ears is intriguing...

They are significantly smaller than the HD600 set I use, though they probably don't sound as good, but that is less important than comfort in a studio setting.

In my experience, a click is gonna bleed out of any open back unless it's turned way down and there is a steady percussion track to cover it up. Or if it's changed to a hiss track then it can be as loud as you want.
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

The last time I did any record was probably 10 years ago, and found a pair of Westone W40 earbuds worked nicely. However, I would leave about 1/2 way in. If you are ok with earphones with removable tips I would recommend using the smallest tips available so they don't seal. That way you can still hear a bit.

Return to “Technology”