Electronic effects live through the PA

Harpcat

Electronic effects live through the PA

Post by Harpcat » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:48 pm

Anyone using effects such as autowah, flangers, etc. for live performance? What's working for you?
Thanks!
SaigonSlide

Re: Electronic effects live through the PA

Post by SaigonSlide » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:05 am

I'm experimenting with this now. I use a Yamaha Silent Brass mute + effects module. If you're not familiar with it you can design different sounds and save them. There are about 50 presets that you can modify if you like. I mostly use a distorted sound, and a synth-y one. I also have a wah pedal, and a Ditto looper. I send output to guitar amplifier. So far so good. The silent brass is nice because it completely cuts out any 'normal' sound of the trombone, so virtually anything that is produced sounds like the effect w/o any acoustic bleed. However, the mute itself is bulky and a bit clunky so you have to be careful with it. I also have a stand alone mic that I use w/o effects, so I can use plunger, etc. I'm definitely still learning about all this. WOuld love to hear what others use.
JLivi

Post by JLivi » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:08 pm

I have a small board, but I use the following:

Voco Loco (effects loop switcher brings mic level to line level)
Crybaby mini wah
micro POG
MXR carbon copy

Here's my route
Microphone > Voco Loco > mini wah > POG > Carbon Copy > Voco Loco (patch cable) > PA
RMCarson

Post by RMCarson » Sun May 05, 2019 9:23 pm

Thanks. What brand and model of microphone? I would appreciate brands and models on the others, as well.

Would it work on a bass amp?
JLivi

Post by JLivi » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:05 am

RMCarson wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 9:23 pm
Thanks. What brand and model of microphone? I would appreciate brands and models on the others, as well.

Would it work on a bass amp?
Not sure if it will work with a bass amp, but a simple Shure SM57 is fine for effects. You don’t need anything too crazy. I know some horn players prefer a clip on on microphone with effects. So I would recommend either the Shure Beta 98H/C or the Audio Technica PRO 35. I just recently spent time on the entry level Shure clip on and it’s not great, but probably good enough for a live show.

Were you asking for recording with effects or playing live?
Nhtrombone

Post by Nhtrombone » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:55 pm

Effects are tough if you’re only playing through one channel when playing live . The engineer is likely mixing to your live sound which may not be coming through the pa all that much so the effects may get lost. Mark Mullins in Bonerama plays through two channels - one for straight trombone and another with a mic to a pedal board and through a fender guitar amp which is mic’d. Recording almost anything is possible.
walldaja

Post by walldaja » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:37 pm

Bass amp should be perfect to play through, pretty much the same note range between a trombone and a bass guitar. I heard Rick Braun play (yes, the trumpet one) and he used effects quite a bit. He was playing in a smaller venue and I suspect he had the effects turned up pretty high to compensate for the sound coming out of his horn.
Dave

Antoine Courtois AC280BO with Christian Lindberg 4CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Bach 1 1/2G
Getzen 351 Tenor with Yamaha 51D
1967 Olds Ambassador with Yamaha 48
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
Bluesfish

Post by Bluesfish » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:11 pm

I used to use a Sure mic that could switch between low and high impedance, plugged into a Zoom programmable guitar effects pedal and the pedal went to the board.

Return to “Technology”