Bone socks? (for stands, not feet)

LowrBrass

Bone socks? (for stands, not feet)

Post by LowrBrass »

Inspired by the conversation about leaving horns on stands at home, and asking as someone who's never understood the value of a bone sock...

Why are bone socks so great?

Why is the soft rubber of a naked trombone stand bad for a bell?

Does anyone have picture evidence or anecdotes of THINGS THAT HAVE GONE WRONG by putting a trombone on a sock-less stand, short-term and/or long-term?
BGuttman

Re: Bone socks? (for stands, not feet)

Post by BGuttman »

I've found that leaving a trombone on a rubber dome stand for long periods of time after playing (i.e. damp air in the bell) will create a "ring" where the dome contacts the bell. A Bone Sock or even a towel placed over the dome will prevent this. Back in the "bad old days" people would poke a 1/2 inch hole in a tea towel (dish towel) and drape the thing over the dome. A tube sock works as well. As does a Bone Sock.

If you use the stand only for short periods of time and don't leave the trombone on it when not playing I haven't seen any deleterious effects.

Note that stands that use felt standoffs will not have the problem
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz »

@
Last edited by Schlitz on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Yeah - when you pick your horn up off the stand and the whole stand comes with it - that sucks. Especially on a gig.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I use dark colored tube socks because of the moisture thing, plus when you put your horn down, the rubber tends to grab the bell, but the sock lets it slide.
ronnies

Post by ronnies »

Neo Bri wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:19 am Yeah - when you pick your horn up off the stand and the whole stand comes with it - that sucks. Especially on a gig.
The frst time I used my K&M stand at home that tried to happen so I put a sock on it.

I've also met someone who said the reason they had a sock was to stop it squeaking when he removed the trombone.

Ronnie
Shires Tru-Bore (Bb/F/Gb/D)
Bach Stradivarius 42 (unlacquered bell)
Excel Bb/F/Gb/D (Chinese made Yamaha YBL-613G clone)
Driswood

Post by Driswood »

I had a Bach 16M with a gold plated bell. I played it for 22 years. After about ten years of putting it on a Hamilton stand with no sock, I noticed a ring inside the bell where the gold plate had worn through, and you could see the silver underneath. I've ALWAYS used a stand sock since. I put a black sock on my stand. I now use a K&M stand, and collapse it when I pack it. I now carry yellow auto rags in my case, and put that over the stand. I have unlacquered bells, and have seen no ring inside.

Jerry Walker
Last edited by Driswood on Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Walker

Happily Retired :good:

1957 Conn 6H
Schilke 47B
1989 Yamaha YSL-684G
Bach 6 3/4C
RichC

Post by RichC »

covers all the bases...stays on, absorbent, and enjoyable to obtain...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
afugate

Post by afugate »

Schlitz wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:35 am
LowrBrass wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:42 pm
Does anyone have picture evidence or anecdotes of THINGS THAT HAVE GONE WRONG by putting a trombone on a sock-less stand, short-term and/or long-term?
Pretty sure Bristol Palin has never used one. Results tend to speak the truth.....
:o :lol:

--Andy in OKC
Last edited by afugate on Mon May 28, 2018 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

I use a black towel on my stand, hides it on the band stand and absorbs the drips AND I don't have to worry about the bell sticking & me lifting the whole thing!
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

I use felt stick-on slider feet for furniture stuck on the rubber. Allow air to circulate and will not mark the bell.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I'll still advocate for the Hamilton Bone Sock. They work perfectly on each of my stands (Hamilton, K&M, On-Stage). Absorbent micro fiber, soft and bell-protective, no more bell sticking to the stand dome, easy to apply (and stays with your stand). Accomplishes everything these do-it-yourself tricks attempt. Less than $4.00. What's not to like?
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Posaunus wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:56 pm I'll still advocate for the Hamilton Bone Sock. They work perfectly on each of my stands (Hamilton, K&M, On-Stage). Absorbent micro fiber, soft and bell-protective, no more bell sticking to the stand dome, easy to apply (and stays with your stand). Accomplishes everything these do-it-yourself tricks attempt. Less than $4.00. What's not to like?
What I don't understand is why Hamilton can't design a good trombone stand. Unless they have one I don't know about.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Neo Bri wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:53 pm
What I don't understand is why Hamilton can't design a good trombone stand. Unless they have one I don't know about.
My Hamilton stands are the chrome-plated ones, with bell cups and round knobs, several years old (I think Model KB510). (Not the really old ones with three felt fingers to hold the bell - those are guaranteed to tip over and damage your trombone!) Aside from losing a couple of the rubber feet (which Hamilton promptly replaced for a few bucks!), they have worked just fine for many years. I guess I don't understand the objection to them.

I also have an On-Stage stand, which works well - and, unlike other trombonists, I sort of like the sprung bell support cup. I've never had problems with stripped screws either. My favorite, though, is the heavy duty K&M stand - the only one I'll use for my bass trombone.

I carry my stands to rehearsals and gigs in inexpensive nylon tripod cases - very convenient. All my stands are fitted with Hamilton Bone Socks.
StefanHaller

Post by StefanHaller »

Posaunus wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:56 pm I'll still advocate for the Hamilton Bone Sock. They work perfectly on each of my stands (Hamilton, K&M, On-Stage). Absorbent micro fiber, soft and bell-protective, no more bell sticking to the stand dome, easy to apply (and stays with your stand). Accomplishes everything these do-it-yourself tricks attempt. Less than $4.00. What's not to like?
They seem to be hard to come by over here in Europe, as far as I can see.
tbonedude

Post by tbonedude »

I've always used a tube sock on my trombone stand. Usually black (for the gigs), but I've also used white tube socks when I'm in dire need ;)
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Mine’s a regular dark blue sock with a heel. It even has a stylish Argyle pattern!
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
afugate

Post by afugate »

I use a pair of stylish socks that matched a sweater my wife gave me decades ago when we were both young. The sweater no longer fits, but I've kept it - the socks - and the girl! :D

I'd lose no sleep if I lost the old beater hamilton stand from my high school days. But I'd sure miss the socks. :)

--Andy in OKC
Zandit75

Post by Zandit75 »

Neo Bri wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:53 pm What I don't understand is why Hamilton can't design a good trombone stand. Unless they have one I don't know about.
I have the KB7010 Hamilton System X stand at home for my Bass Trom.
Never had an issue with it. Certainly sturdy enough, but I agree with most of the comments here, it needs a sock.
Davetall

Post by Davetall »

All of my trombone stands have a pair of retired black concert socks on them.
bimmerman

Post by bimmerman »

yep, I just use an actual sock.

My horn developed a ring inside the bell where it contacts the stand, from before I had a sock on it.
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Cannot find them in England.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Geordie wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:47 pm Cannot find them in England.
Tea towels with a 3 cm hole poked in the middle work great.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

+1 for the Hamilton "socks". I like the breathable material, and the look is better for audience members that get close enough to see the stands. I bought a few of them at a time (Hickeys) and put them on all of my stands that are left in various places (University, symphony hall, home practice area, etc.). Gave a couple to my colleagues at the orchestra while I was at it.

Jim Scott
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Just use your least favorite pair of socks. I use green; works as well as black. :biggrin:
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
afugate

Post by afugate »

greenbean wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:57 pm
Just use your least favorite pair of socks. I use green; works as well as black. :biggrin:
Or your favorite pair. My hamilton stand has the socks that matched the sweater my wife gave me on our first Christmas when we were dating. That was 30 years ago... :)

I still have the wife - and the trombone! :D

--Andy in OKC
wwright

Post by wwright »

I played with a trumpet player the other day who must have had the cone-shaped part of the stand down too far because the rubber bumper on the tip lodged deep in his bell and came off the stand when he picked up the horn. It was an effective stopper. A sock should fix that problem, too.
DakoJack

Post by DakoJack »

I was just about to post a question on whether or not I should put a crown bag on my new K and M stand this answered my questions. I've done it in the past with other stands but was wondering with this rubber material, glad I found this thread.
andym

Post by andym »

I use a pair of poly fleece socks that a friend made for me. As socks I don't like them because they are too slippery on the floor and were really meant as slippers. They are awesome as bone socks. My friend was insulted. Apparently she has trouble understanding that protecting my trombones is a position of great honor.
The user formerly known as amichael on TTF.
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

I use those small micro-fiber rags you can get for free from Harbor Freight when you buy anything else. Just find Center, cut a hole, and put it over the stem to settle down on the rubber dome.
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

my stand is made of hard plastic and I don't want it to sceatch the bell. It might be weird vus I just put on a black dress sock over it.
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

I use a Hercules in-bell stand. It comes with a cloth cover. Once I open the stand I just put that cover over the stand. That solves the problem of finding it once a gig is over and the stage is dark too.
Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
ericcheng2005

Post by ericcheng2005 »

I've used one of those long athletic socks on my horn stand for a while, gives me peace of mind from sharp bell trauma.
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

RichC has the right idea! The Crown Royal bags are great. If you don't want the whiskey, you can buy the bags on Ebay. I use them with all my horn stands and in the cases, over the spit valve end of the slide. Last yeat I got 20 of them on eBay for $8.00 - so I have given many away to students.
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================

Return to “Accessories”