Best Double Trombone cases

Rusty

Best Double Trombone cases

Post by Rusty »

Just wondering what you think are the best double cases/gig bags out there...ideally for a straight small bore and valved large bore, but also tenor + bass?

I have Cronkhite leather gig bags which I love, and I know they make a double bag, just wondering what else is out there?
Basbasun

Re: Best Double Trombone cases

Post by Basbasun »

I love Cronkhite! I use Cronkhite for tuba, small trombone, bass trombone, contrabass trombone and Double trombone case. Very well made and good protection.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I have an Altieri double. It has a few nice points and a few quirks.

Nice: holds a valved tenor and alto a tenor slide can be placed between the "bags" or you can replace the alto bag with a tenor bag). It holds 2 horns, 2 stands, a pocket for mouthpiecese/lubes, and a big bag that will hold a music folder, the stands, a wire stand, lunch, and maybe a change of underwear. It has a shoulder strap and backpack straps. Slides are held in a rigid foam box that can take lots of bumps and bangs without damage.

Bad: You have to put one horn in from the "bottom" so getting both horns out is an exercise in maneuvering. Especially bad if you strap the thing to a luggage cart like I did. Lugs for the shoulder strap and the backpack straps aren't really strong enough if you load the thing with two trombones, two Hamilton stands, all the accessory junk, etc. (Which is why I had it strapped to the luggage cart). Bell protection is a quilted fabric and is not as good as the Cronkite and I'd never consider taking this on an airplane, even if I bought a seat for it (unless I knew some crew who could put it in the coat closet).

I don't think there is a perfect option for two trombones in once case, and each has good and bad points.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

Bags of Spain or whatever they call themselves today. They have a new design thats superb and the smallest on the market. great case. Ignore Steve Fergusons review at the Horn Guys - theyve either changed the design or he got it wrong. I can recommend this case... Doug
Steigmic

Post by Steigmic »

Do the BOS double cases have a rigid or soft case? A friend had to gate check and had damage to his Bell. Would you fly with this case? I’m looking at getting a MB double and thought about the BOS until my friend’s incident.

DougHulme wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:38 am Bags of Spain or whatever they call themselves today. They have a new design thats superb and the smallest on the market. great case. Ignore Steve Fergusons review at the Horn Guys - theyve either changed the design or he got it wrong. I can recommend this case... Doug
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

The current one is a solid case, not soft. I think they used to make a soft one which I had considered myself but never got one.

I don't consider it safe to put any case through baggage. I have only done that with a gig bag inside a golf case.

And with TSA opening stuff, gate checking is as safe as you're going to get once it leaves your hands.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
bimmerman

Post by bimmerman »

I have the Marcus Bonna double tenor case. I like it, it'll fit two tenors with F, or small/large tenor, or alto/tenor (with some adjustment). While it's solid, I haven't flown with it.
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz »

Last edited by Schlitz on Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I have a Cronkhite that really like. It also fits smaller horns. Using it today with a Yamaha small and medium bore horn. If they get too small they can rattle around in the double bass case, but a $3 pillow from Wal-Mart solved that problem for me... of course, I haven't had to use it in awhile, I don't often carry two small horns at the same time.

Return to “Accessories”