Pro-Pac Straps

Redthunder

Pro-Pac Straps

Post by Redthunder »

So I recently purchased a Protec Pro Pac hard case to use as an alternative to my rapidly aging Reuinion Blues case. I love everything about the case, EXCEPT - the damn straps. Pro-tec decided they'd rather try and squeeze a little more out of their customers by having the backpack straps come as a separate purchase. Fine, whatever, that's their right as a business. However the design of the clasp where the backpack straps meet towards the bell end of the case is shoddy! The damn thing pops off constantly while I'm carrying it if it gets bumped the wrong way - and sometimes if the case is sitting for a while it might come undone for the same reason, but you don't always notice right way, not until you're slinging the damn thing over your shoulder and then all of a sudden the horn comes tumbling down. I take public transit a lot, and often carry lots of other stuff with me to teach or to gigs, so it happens more than if I was just carrying the horn alone.

I'm pissed, because everything else about the case is great, but this one feature makes me aggravated enough to never want to buy another piece of Pro-tec equipment again. I would have rather paid an extra 30, 40, 50 bucks to have the backpack straps included.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Additionally, I wanted to just buy a different set of straps. Does anyone have any recommendations? I would honestly just love to get a set of straps that come with Eastman cases, but I don't see anywhere that sells them alone.

Open to any and all suggestions here.
ConnBone18

Re: Pro-Pac Straps

Post by ConnBone18 »

Yes, I also have the same problem with those straps.
I am also looking for a solution.
Conn SL2547 slide
Conn 8HT
Conn 52H
Conn 48H Connstellation
Conn 18H Elkhart Coprion Bell (1962) with 0,485" slide
Conn 18H with 0,500" slide
P-Bone
Edmundism

Post by Edmundism »

I had the same problem with mine. But I solved it with tying a cable tie as in the picture.

Edit Matt K: Fixed url tags.
Last edited by Edmundism on Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Edmundism wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:30 am I had the same problem with mine. But I solved it with tying a cable tie as in the picture.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EtnjD ... A9BCUGUt5V

Looks like your folder is off-limits to the public. You can either change the permissions in Google Drive or if the fiels aren't too large, upload them here.
Edmundism

Post by Edmundism »

Apologies, didn't realize that. First post here. Thanks for pointing out though!
I enabled sharing for the picture already. Hopefully it works!
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Works now! :good:

If you ever need to test, the easiest way is to go into "incognito" mode on your browser, since you wouldn't be logged into Google yet.
boneagain

Post by boneagain »

That's really, really sad :(

I wondered why folks complained about the harness detaching. The picture makes it crystal clear: ProTec changed the capture clasp! My older one has two "fingers" on each side, instead of just one.

Now I understand why mine have never come off, yet for others like the OP it's a common occurance.

Kudos on the creative zip tie!
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Zip ties are basically the best.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Matt K wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:07 pm Zip ties are basically the best.
New age duct tape!
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Redthunder

Post by Redthunder »

Edmundism wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:30 am I had the same problem with mine. But I solved it with tying a cable tie as in the picture.

Thanks for this! I just did this to my case.
Zandit75

Post by Zandit75 »

Yep, same thing happened to mine, and now I no longer use it, I've now been using the shoulder strap.
Having seen this little hack fix, I might give it another go.

Return to “Accessories”