Marcus Bonna Screwbell Case video

Burgerbob

Marcus Bonna Screwbell Case video

Post by Burgerbob »

Hey all, I recently acquired an MB screwbell case for my new bell for travel. Here's my initial thoughts:

And yes, I had been using it upside down... Oops!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
basstrombone

Re: Marcus Bonna Screwbell Case video

Post by basstrombone »

Thank you for this review! I've been looking at either the MB or a Marco Magi screw bell case and currently use the MB stock bass case. Seeing in action helps immensely in the decision process!
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

I have one of these for my Thein tenor. It's an excellent case! It can be a little clumsy. Also, the little things - I'd like it to stay propped open when I open it. It closes on it's own, which is very awkward when I'm trying to get both bell bits out of it, undo the velcro, etc. But really and excellent case.

Now let's see Basili do it, too.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Neo Bri wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:32 pm I have one of these for my Thein tenor. It's an excellent case! It can be a little clumsy. Also, the little things - I'd like it to stay propped open when I open it. It closes on it's own, which is very awkward when I'm trying to get both bell bits out of it, undo the velcro, etc. But really and excellent case.

Yes, both this and my ultra light tenor case only open 90 degrees but sit flat, so the lid either flops closed or the case falls over (as it does in the video twice, I think).

The stock bass case sits naturally over the seam of the lid, so no issue.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Burgerbob wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:40 pm
Neo Bri wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:32 pm I have one of these for my Thein tenor. It's an excellent case! It can be a little clumsy. Also, the little things - I'd like it to stay propped open when I open it. It closes on it's own, which is very awkward when I'm trying to get both bell bits out of it, undo the velcro, etc. But really and excellent case.

Yes, both this and my ultra light tenor case only open 90 degrees but sit flat, so the lid either flops closed or the case falls over (as it does in the video twice, I think).

The stock bass case sits naturally over the seam of the lid, so no issue.
Yes my new MB sackbut case also has that issue. It also has the leather patch logo by the way. I was wondering about it too, if they just changed from the metal logo they were using the last few years, back to a patch, or if maybe they use the metal logo for standard models that they ship everywhere routinely and use patches on the perhaps less in-demand models... :idk: Also has the guide thingies that align the lid to the case. I think that might just be a new feature.

For your issue with the slide flapping around, see if you can salvage two of the foam blocks and place them side by side so that the sleeve by the slide bow fits between them but tightly enough that it prevents the slide from moving.

Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz »

Last edited by Schlitz on Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mlynchbone

Post by mlynchbone »

This past year or so he went back to the old style patch but now they are leather. I'm not sure what the reasoning was but I imagine its because they were scratched easily.
Sid

Post by Sid »

I have the same case for my Holton TR-180 that I had converted for screw bell. Everything fits really well for that horn and have not had any issues with it yet (owned for a couple of months).

Return to “Accessories”