flying with a bass trombone/Cases

isaac

flying with a bass trombone/Cases

Post by isaac »

I'm looking for a new case for my bass trombone. I'm looking for something that can fit in overhead compartments but if need be, survive gate checking. Any recommendations other then protec? Can Marcus Bonna cases be gate checked?
I'm also looking for a case for a close wrap conn 88h.
Unfortunately i'm going to be flying with them to much for comfort.
Thanks
Matt K
Verified

Re: flying with a bass trombone/Cases

Post by Matt K »

I'd go Eastman for both personally. The bass case will have to be gate checked more frequently than the tenor, but the tenor is about as compact as you can make an aftermarket case for a generic tenor trombone. It will often fit overhead. If you're lucky, the bass may fit overhead. I've checked Eastmans in the past without any damage. Another great option for tenor is the SKB462. It's an actual flight case and is ridiculously protective. It's bulky though, and will usually have to be checked.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

The bass Eastman will be too big for some overheads, since it can fit a 10.5in bell. The Bonna is the best bet here and is more durable than an Eastman.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
isaac

Post by isaac »

Thanks for the info. The eastmans would definitely do better checked however part of why i'm looking at Bonna is the 11 inch outer diameter. The eastman is 14 which won't fit, My protec ipac has not fit in the past and is the same size around the bell as the eastman.
isaac

Post by isaac »

Burgerbob wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 8:15 pm The bass Eastman will be too big for some overheads, since it can fit a 10.5in bell. The Bonna is the best bet here and is more durable than an Eastman.
yes It would be great if more cases where made for only 9.5 inch bells
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Bonna is there for you! :)
isaac

Post by isaac »

burgerbob would you recommend the superlight tenor case?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

For tenor, yes! I love mine, it's tiny and light.
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Bonna bass should fit in medium and long haul overheads, most probably won't on many regional jets and turboprops, but is probably strong enough to survive gate check on those.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

Bonna, period.

The Eastman is too big, and it actually will not do better gate checked, because there's too much room and possibility for the parts to move around within the case. The velcro straps in the Bonna case can prevent the bell and slide section from moving around and possibly bouncing against the walls of the case, which is actually how most damage occurs when trombones are thrown around by baggage handlers or move around in a baggage compartment.

I have not yet had to gate check my Bonna case. It has always either fit in the overhead compartments or been put in closets by the crew.
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz »

Last edited by Schlitz on Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Speaking of cut bells, Bonna makes a case for cut-bell trombones. It has about the shape and size of a large viola case. Perfect for flying. Of course the rest of the time you can confused for a viola player, so I'm not sure if it's a good trade-off...
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I just checked their site today and it looks like they have a model that's similar to the old Cronkhite flight cases, where the slide splits from the bell but they're both otherwise hard. That is a compelling design and might convince me to try MB cases again.

Return to “Accessories”