22%
[Double] Gig Bag
9%

Total votes: 95
Matt K
Verified

POLL: Gig Bags vs. Hard Case vs. Semi-Hard Cases

Post by Matt K »

A bit of a riff on Schlitz's post I thought it might be interesting to break out the question into a few sub questions if for no other reason than to try the polling feature!

A hard case is something like the SKB, Eastman, Marcus Bonna, where there is an outer shell (even if covered by a shell like the MB cases or the older stock Bach cases).

A semi-rigid case is something like the BAM cases that aren't gig bags but otherwise don't have a harder layer on the outside of them. They are basically molded foam.

Gig bags are anything else!

Double vs single means you use a double case (that fits multiple horns)

I have seen a double hard case for screw bells before! It was on the brassark for sale with an old 8H that had multiple flares and stems that were interchangeable. Very interesting horn.

If there's something that I missed, let me know!
Matt K
Verified

Re: POLL: Gig Bags vs. Hard Case vs. Semi-Hard Cases

Post by Matt K »

By the way, you're allowed to change your vote, so the "Submit Vote" button won't go away! That's intended behavior :)
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Too many choices!
tbathras

Post by tbathras »

I tried soft gig bags once and although very light, but I was paranoid all the time, and that was with an old getzen. I can’t fathom putting my Shires into a soft bag. I’ve got a Shires screw bell case and a Protec ipac. The Protec is heavier than I’d like, but it protects everything very well.
--
Bass Trombone
Casco Bay Wind Symphony
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

A good gig bag can be more protective than a hard case. The hard case does prevent things from say, falling on the case and damaging the inside. But when it comes to you hitting things or dropping the case, the gig bags sometimes have an advantage. (Same with the semi-rigid cases). E.g. I had a marcus bonna case that I had one of the straps slip from my shoulder and it landed on the ground and dented my bell because the case was, well, hard. And the padding on the inside wasn't very thick. I've dropped my Cronkhite before and had zero problems with it because there's nearly an inch of foam between the horn and anything else!

But then I've also seen cases that are not much more than actual bags. Like 2-3mm of cordua and that's it. Those... not so much.
tbathras

Post by tbathras »

Yeah, both the iPac and shires cases have plentiful padding inside. Especially with the shires case, it’s feel totally comfortable dropping off it from four feet up.
--
Bass Trombone
Casco Bay Wind Symphony
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I had an iPac for a few months. Definitely good on the protection front but way too heavy for my tastes. I need to work out more...
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I have a bad nerve in my left arm so I have a cymbal stand with a round armrest. I will often put that, a trombone stand and a few mutes in my gig bag with the horn in my tan Edwards case.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Pretty much the only case I’ve used in the last 19 years is an Edwards gig bag (the old Dolly bags one). Great gig bag. Use it for everything from my 10” basses to my 8” Bach 34. Sturdy leather with good stitching is still in great shape.

I need to get a pair of new cases, I’d prefer something a little more rigid and lightweight for a main case and I still need to get a case that takes advantage of the one screw bell that I have.

Cheers,
Andy
blast

Post by blast »

My regular cases sit at each end of the price spectrum. There is a carbon fibre bass case that is wonderful. Also I use Chinese semi-hard cases for lighter duty. I my view they are much better than gig bags.... just as light but much more protective... more space to carry stuff too.

Chris
boomski

Post by boomski »

I use an Eastman for my 42T, and for a bout a year a Cronkhite with my 3b. The weight difference of the Eastman and Cronkhite is pretty substantial, and the backpack straps are much more comfortable on the Cronkhite...
BillO

Post by BillO »

I only use had cases for storage on long trips, or trips by bus, etc... Some, like the Jupiter XO cases, are just to darn heavy to use everyday.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

boomski wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:45 am I use an Eastman for my 42T, and for a bout a year a Cronkhite with my 3b. The weight difference of the Eastman and Cronkhite is pretty substantial, and the backpack straps are much more comfortable on the Cronkhite...

Is it really that much of a difference in weight? I had a cronkhite travel case that I weighed for my tenor that was heavier than my Eastman by several pounds. Though it was also the leather variation. I love the looks of those Cronkhite travel cases in brown leather though... easy to open too. I'll probably pick one up at some point again when I have the cash!

More importantly though, yeah the Cronkhite is definitely mega comfortable even if some may be heavier than the Eastman (which is also pretty light!)
StevenC

Post by StevenC »

I have two trombones that I use regularly, a Bach 42b and a Holton TR-183. The Bach has lived in a leather Gard bag for as long as I've had it (nearly 10 years?). For the Holton, I still have the original hard case. The Holton case weighs a ton empty, but I'm too lazy or cheap to replace it. The Gard bag doesn't look all that sturdy, but it has done a lot of traveling, with no harm coming to the Bach.
ronnies

Post by ronnies »

I just use the case that cam with the trombone. Don't really like it but a new one would be more than the cost of the trombone. :-)

Ronnie
Shires Tru-Bore (Bb/F/Gb/D)
Bach Stradivarius 42 (unlacquered bell)
Excel Bb/F/Gb/D (Chinese made Yamaha YBL-613G clone)
boomski

Post by boomski »

Matt K wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:52 am Is it really that much of a difference in weight? I had a cronkhite travel case that I weighed for my tenor that was heavier than my Eastman by several pounds. Though it was also the leather variation. I love the looks of those Cronkhite travel cases in brown leather though... easy to open too. I'll probably pick one up at some point again when I have the cash!

More importantly though, yeah the Cronkhite is definitely mega comfortable even if some may be heavier than the Eastman (which is also pretty light!)
I haven't weighed them to know for sure, so maybe substantial was too strong a word. My cronkhite is the TSG Cordura model, so it's probably lighter than the leather version. I think a lot of it has to do with the comfort. I don't really notice the bag on my back, but I can definitely feel the Eastman.

Both cases are awesome, I just wish the Eastman had a little more storage inside... Either that or I should stop keeping so much crap in the case, haha.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Hahah, no I understand what you mean. Yeah the cordua is a heck of a lot lighter. My double case is cordua and I really like it. I tend to use it more than my eastman case too unless its raining. I wish there was a way to keep the backpack straps stabilized on the eastman as there is with the Cronkhite!
davebb

Post by davebb »

I recall something like this from the old site:

Q: What does the Slide Doctor call players who use gig-bags ?
A: Repeat customers
SteveFoote

Post by SteveFoote »

I use only hard cases.
Visited the Slide Doctor many years ago.
He commented that gig bags were his best friends.
I feel sure that some bags are much improved now but I'll just stick to the hard cases.
The weight is a problem.
I am using an SKB 360 with my 3B as the ProTec 306CT for my Opera is just too much, even with the back straps.
Would love to find a lightweight case comparable to the SKB that would fit an 8 1/2" bell.
King 3B Silver Sonic, Olds Opera, Conn 72H
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

I'll say - the Pro-Pac cases are pretty good, too. Light and a good design.

Return to “Accessories”