Cronkhite bags

Shumanbean

Cronkhite bags

Post by Shumanbean »

I am a fan of Reunion Blues/Glen Cronkhite gear, and have owned several bags over the years. At the beginning of June, I ordered, and paid for, a large tenor bag in leather. They sent two monthly reminders that they were still working on it, and were behind due to covid19. Last I heard, it was in the finishing que. That was a month ago, after I was able to get hold of them. Now, it's been 5 months, they're phone message box is always full, they don't answer during their stated business hours, and their email address doesn't seem to work.

I can sympathize with the challenges of living and working in Minneapolis, but the the lack of customer care is beginning to feel intentional. Maybe I'm way off base, but it's been five months, and they don't communicate.

Does anyone have any insight into this that they can share?

Dan Crockett
Arthurtwoshedsjackson

Re: Cronkhite bags

Post by Arthurtwoshedsjackson »

Their customer care was dismal (as you describe) well before the pandemic. I would only purchase from a dealer that actually has the item in stock.
It’s just an ordinary garden shed.
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

I'm in the same boat with a cordura bass trumpet bag that I only bought because it was listed as being in stock. I placed the order June 17 (of this year, sad that I have to specify that).

I'm on the cusp of ordering a case/bag from someone else and charging back the credit card.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

Is this with the new company?
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
Arthurtwoshedsjackson

Bonearzt wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:06 pm Is this with the new company?
Yes.

The bags are great, by the way.
Shumanbean

Post by Shumanbean »

I can sympathize with the problems they might be having in Minneapolis this year, but because of their lack of lack of communication, along with the notion that they’re still taking orders when they’re months behind in filling orders bugged me a lot. I’m trying to get my money back. What a drag.
Shumanbean

Post by Shumanbean »

And they are great bags.
TheBoneRanger

Post by TheBoneRanger »

I had an absolute nightmare with this company about a year ago. They messed up, sent me the wrong bag, and it must have taken me 20 emails, and some pretty stern language, over months to get them to pay attention and fix it.

Terrific bag, but I think of that headache every time I see it. Order from a dealer if you can.

Andrew
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

They're great bags and product, but it's not worth the bs.

I ordered, around June wben a 20% off promotion was offered, 6 trombone mouthpiece pouches the were listed in stock. The i get a progress email a couple months later, then another. Then i got confirmation my order was shipped. When i got it, i found my order was shipped via usps when i chose (not having any other choice) FedEx, and the pouches were larger than trombone size, yet smaller than tuba. They sent me some bastard size pouch that's too big for my mouthpieces. I was a fan, but not so much now.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I'll do the guerrilla advertising-

Superfine bags are another continuation of Cronkhite with similar or better pricing and great bags.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Shumanbean

Post by Shumanbean »

Still haven't heard back from them. I don't believe they're actually receiving any communications at this point. Biting the hands that feed you is a terrible business strategy.
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Contact Tom Rice at Superfine Cases.

Superfinecases.com

(I have no affiliation with this company. Just a very happy customer)
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
TheBoneRanger

Post by TheBoneRanger »

Shumanbean wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:04 am Still haven't heard back from them. I don't believe they're actually receiving any communications at this point. Biting the hands that feed you is a terrible business strategy.
Go public. Start with their facebook page. Easier to ignore you when it's private.

Andrew
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

I sent them an email, as requested (apparently they're only ATTEMPTING to pick up the phone during limited hours), trying to cancel my order. I haven't heard back. Might be time to figure out which credit card I used and have the charge reversed.
Paul Gilles
Arthurtwoshedsjackson

Issues with this business are also described elsewhere:

http://forums.chisham.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=98623
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

I think the real issue is they have no one running customer service or properly managing their orders... And the issue has only gotten worse as their backlog gets larger.

Like other people on this thread they also screwed up my order. I ordered a Large Tenor case and was sent a Small Tenor case. I reached out multiple times to see if they could credit me back the difference, I wasn't even asking for a return or full refund, and I got radio silence. After a 3+ month wait for my case opening the box and seeing the wrong case staring back at me... I wasn't very happy.

I refuse buy direct from Torpedo Bags after that. Tom with Superfine Cases has blown me away and I will only be purchasing gig bags from them for now on. Great product and some of the best customer service I have ever received.

That thread saying Torpedo bags as an F rating with the BBB made me chuckle lol
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

Just disputed the charge on my credit card. Kinda sad that it came to this, but it's IMPOSSIBLE to contact them.
Paul Gilles
Shumanbean

Post by Shumanbean »

I'm disputing their charge, too. Paypal said it would take up to sixty days. And going public...I don't want to get weird with it, but I will complain publicly, every chance I can.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I honestly don't understand the love. My Ritter bag was less than $100, is far slimmer than the "squishy brick" design of the Cronkhite style bags, does not deform where the backpack straps connect to the bag, and safely holds more accessories in an outer compartment, rather than a thin squishy bag that sits on the bell. Even my Reeves Brass double tenor hard case is slimmer in design than the cronkhite double case, and unlike that case has straps that swivel and attach to actual hardware, in addition to the all important top end carry handle. When you're 6'2", and your case doesn't have that vertical carry handle, you're a sad panda. Plus that makes maneuvering through doors far easier and safer, because you can hold it in front of you with one hand. The soft squishy brick is like a "magnet of damage cape +1 (cursed)" that trails behind you.

Like I used to do, I suspect everyone who says they are "great bags" paid a lot for the bag and feels obligated to say it's great. Or is either short, extremely skinny, or doesn't move around very much with their gig bag. After 3 years of trying to maneuver through doors with mine at all varieties of gigs and locations, I finally conceded that the bulky design, non swiveling straps, lack of vertical carry handle, and inability to safely put it on the ground vertically basically made it the worst choice imaginable for a case or gig bag. That was not even counting the dents (even though I didn't bump the case on anything) and frozen valves from one of the bells being carried upside down.

I've had none of these issues with either my Ritter bag or my Reeves double tenor hard case.
Arthurtwoshedsjackson

harrisonreed wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:01 pm Like I used to do, I suspect everyone who says they are "great bags" paid a lot for the bag and feels obligated to say it's great.
I would presume that most people would call it like it is, regardless of cost.

I’ll modify my ‘great bags’ a bit. I really like my Cronkhite trumpet & cornet bags. Well made. Decent protection for a gig bag. No complaints. Great bags. I’m planning to purchase another one (in stock at a dealer...). The large tuba and old C-era Reunion Blues euphonium bags (as well as the corresponding Altieri bags) that I’ve had were effectively dent bags. They were very well made and made carrying these large horns feasible, but didn’t provide much protection and I had to be very careful. I never opted for a Cronkhite trombone bag as the slide protection seems inadequate. I carried a large bore trombone all over NYC (by subway) for years in an Altieri bag, with the rigid foam sandwich slide compartment, without issues. Great bag.
Last edited by Arthurtwoshedsjackson on Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I improved the slide protection of my older Reunion Blues (from the Cronkhite era) bag by placing the slide sleeve in with the hard board side out. Same goes for my Tuxedo bag (similar setup). I prefer the protection of the Altieri bag, although bell protection is no better than a Cronkhite.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Shumanbean

Post by Shumanbean »

Just as an update: I somehow got the mobile number of the owner of Torpedo bags, a guy named Steve. I told him my issue with my order, with the lack of communications, and that I had been unsuccessful in disputing the charge...nearly $500. He explained all his issues: covid19, riots, work limitations, etc., and it all seemed pretty reasonable. He told me that they have a 7 month backlog on orders, and that my order should be initiated soon, saying that it was probably on the cutting table, and that it only be a couple of more weeks. When I asked for a guarantee, it all went south. Long story short, We agreed on a refund, then he hung up on me.

Harrisonreed: I know man, it's shallow. It was a vanity purchase...I know that now. The first step in gear sobriety is acknowledging you have a problem. Glad I'm getting a refund.
Arthurtwoshedsjackson

I’ll be curious to learn if you actually receive the refund.
BurckhardtS

Post by BurckhardtS »

I have a travel bag of theirs and it's my favorite thing for when I'm on foot, make no mistake. I wouldn't check it but it fits in the overhead. I also had issues with getting it made and with Irv Karan who I ordered through. Nothing major though, it was just a long wait and I ended up getting it after something like 3-4 months, and this was many years ago.
Shires - 7YM, TX, Axial, TW47 - Greg Black NY 1
YSL354 - XT LN106, C+, D3
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

BurckhardtS wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:50 pm I have a travel bag of theirs and it's my favorite thing for when I'm on foot, make no mistake. I wouldn't check it but it fits in the overhead. I also had issues with getting it made and with Irv Karan who I ordered through. Nothing major though, it was just a long wait and I ended up getting it after something like 3-4 months, and this was many years ago.
The company is owned by Torpedo Bags now, not the original owner.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
BurckhardtS

Post by BurckhardtS »

Right, I think it was RIGHT after the buyout happened in 2017.
Shires - 7YM, TX, Axial, TW47 - Greg Black NY 1
YSL354 - XT LN106, C+, D3
Shumanbean

Post by Shumanbean »

Just a follow-up... I never heard back from Torpedo bags, but I was refunded by PayPal. Glad to be done with it.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Shumanbean wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:45 pm Just a follow-up... I never heard back from Torpedo bags, but I was refunded by PayPal. Glad to be done with it.
Time now to contact Tom Rice at Superfine Cases:

SuperfineCases.com
Driswood

Post by Driswood »

I bought a Gard leather bag from Musician's Friend a couple years ago. With a discount cost $209 with free shipping. Great protection! The bell is cradled in two padded "U's" so it doesn't touch the sides. There's a cone the bell slides onto to to keep it centered in the bag. The bell is suspended inside the bag. This is shown in the link below. Slide compartment has thick plywood.

Did I mention it's a gorgeous bag? Love it.

https://www.gardbags.com/en/brasswind/t ... ather.html
Jerry Walker

Happily Retired :good:

1957 Conn 6H
Schilke 47B
1989 Yamaha YSL-684G
Bach 6 3/4C
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

I have that exact Gard bag. It does seem quite protective, but also a fair bit bulkier than the Conkhite style bags or Marcus Bonna hard cases. For the price, probably about the best "O" style gig bag.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Driswood wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:21 am I bought a Gard leather bag from Musician's Friend a couple years ago. With a discount cost $209 with free shipping. Great protection! The bell is cradled in two padded "U's" so it doesn't touch the sides. There's a cone the bell slides onto to to keep it centered in the bag. The bell is suspended inside the bag. This is shown in the link below. Slide compartment has thick plywood.

Did I mention it's a gorgeous bag? Love it.

https://www.gardbags.com/en/brasswind/t ... ather.html
More than once, I've looked at their alto bag but have no idea if it could fit a 36H. My guess is no, but maybe someone has tried it?
Arthurtwoshedsjackson

Shumanbean wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:45 pm Just a follow-up... I never heard back from Torpedo bags, but I was refunded by PayPal. Glad to be done with it.
Glad to hear it.
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

Quick update. The dispute was upheld (I think). Today I got three (!) emails from Torpedo Bags stating that they had shipped my bag. This was long after I emailed them (having been unable to reach them by phone) to attempt to cancel my order.

I called them and was able to leave a voicemail this time. I told them that if the bag hadn't left their shop, not to ship it- I don't want it anymore, and I don't want something I didn't pay for.

If it shows up, though, I'm not paying to ship it back. They can either send me a label or come and get it.
Paul Gilles

Return to “Accessories”