Very old King

Baker

Very old King

Post by Baker »

Hi all, I have a 1910's King trombone, number 3 - general use, no screw on the bell, and it's time to replace the slide. I don't know the bore, medium written on slide, but very small if compared to current ones.
Can anyone suggest me a modern slide thats fits with bell attachment and bore? Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bonearzt

Re: Very old King

Post by Bonearzt »

Your only real option is to replace the tubes.
If you or your tech can measure the pertinent dimensions:
bore, length and outer diameter of the stockings,
similar tubes could be found or made, depending on your budget.

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
Baker

Post by Baker »

thanks, it's one of the solutions, but I think that is damaged the (Inside of) outer slide too and, furthermore, the original slide is very very heavy. I also have a slide of a 1948's Cleveland (H.N. White made) in decent conditions that fits on the bell attachment but I'm dubious on the bore
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I wouldn't be terribly choosy about bore size. I happen to have TWO of those; one each in High Pitch and Low Pitch.

Slides have soldered on stockings. Basic tubes are nickel plated, but one of them shows brass.

I'd put the bore in the 0.470 to 0.490 inch range. You have to use whatever slide you try as a friction fit.

I tried a Holton Collegiate slide (no bell lock) on one of my The King's and it sorta fit, but remember that it's much bigger bore.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Baker

Post by Baker »

thank you, I'll try the Cleveland's slide, seems the smallest bore I have
KingThings

Post by KingThings »

BGuttman wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:30 pm I wouldn't be terribly choosy about bore size. I happen to have TWO of those; one each in High Pitch and Low Pitch.

Slides have soldered on stockings. Basic tubes are nickel plated, but one of them shows brass.

I'd put the bore in the 0.470 to 0.490 inch range. You have to use whatever slide you try as a friction fit.

I tried a Holton Collegiate slide (no bell lock) on one of my The King's and it sorta fit, but remember that it's much bigger bore.
This is a really old thread, but I was just wondering what the pitch actually is of the "high" and "low" pitch models. Was one 440?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

High pitch was around A=450. A trombone almost sounds like it was pitched in B natural.
Low pitch was around A=435. You can't quite push in far enough to make modern pitch.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

Any idea where I can get a high pitch tuning slide for one of those old kings. I have one with the low pitch slide but the case it came in, the is the original case, it has a place for high pitch slide. I’d like to have both.
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================

Return to “Modification & Repair”