Schagerl style superbone project

Jgittleson

Schagerl style superbone project

Post by Jgittleson »

Well, the title says it all. I recently picked up a very vintage cerveny 4 valve small bore tenor in need of tlc, and being there's not a whole lot of value there, i decided to get suggestions as to what to do with it. The one i liked the most is the Schagerl superbone. Now, i know i cant do the exact horn, but it might be possible to do something similar. Im still working it all out, but i may try to do it as an alto for kicks. If i can keep the 4 valves i will, im thinking of a different hand position for the left hand, and keeping the horn extremely back heavy, so it can just rest on the players left palm (i will fashion some sort of rest).

I wont have the horn for a couple of weeks as its coming from Germany, but that'll give me plenty of time to make plans.
SwissTbone

Re: Schagerl style superbone project

Post by SwissTbone »

Great idea!
Every time I see one of those Schagerl superbones I ask myself how someone can hold that thing for any extended period of time. Seems really uncomfortable to turn the hand backwards to use the valves.

Wouldn't it be more erconomical using the valves with the hand sideways?
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
Jgittleson

Post by Jgittleson »

cozzagiorgi wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:50 am Great idea!
Every time I see one of those Schagerl superbones I ask myself how someone can hold that thing for any extended period of time. Seems really uncomfortable to turn the hand backwards to use the valves.

You read my mind. Now to see if it can be done.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

That's actually a more natural position for the hand, as the arm isn't pronated.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Jgittleson

Post by Jgittleson »

Burgerbob wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:28 am

That's actually a more natural position for the hand, as the arm isn't pronated.

Neutral grip is the most natural, its how the body is supposed to be at rest. Used to teach anatomy, exercise physiology, kinesiology, etc.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Those are before and after pics, right? ;)
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Jgittleson

Post by Jgittleson »

Kbiggs wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:51 am Those are before and after pics, right? ;)
Hahahaha yeah sure lets go with that.
doctortrombone

Post by doctortrombone »

Mmmmm!! Clock Spring Valve Levers!.

I bought one of those awhile back for a cimbasso project. I thought "As soon as I get that valve cluster working correctly, I'll start assembling it." That was five years ago.
DaveMAus

Post by DaveMAus »

Jgittleson wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:09 am
Kbiggs wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:51 am Those are before and after pics, right? ;)
Hahahaha yeah sure lets go with that.
BUMP....

Hey Jgittleson, did you ever end up building that superbone?

Return to “Modification & Repair”