Thayer issues

BillO

Thayer issues

Post by BillO »

I’ve got a couple of issues with my Thayer valve. It’s a genuine Thayer of the newer style. Most important issue is that if I leave the trombone on a stand overnight the valve seems to seize up. It’s not a cleanliness problem as the first thing I tried was to clean it. Once freed up, it works just fine. Anyone had this experience? Anything to be done about it?

The next problem is more of an annoyance than anything else. The bumper on the activated side falls out if you look at wrong. I guess I could use a drop of silicone on it, but do others have this issue to?
Neo Bri

Re: Thayer issues

Post by Neo Bri »

Maybe the cone shape acts as a funnel and the lube filters out into the slide...gravity...
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Use superglue to glue the bumper on.

Sounds like the valve issue could be due to flex in the overall bell assembly.

M
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

This is why I don't leave my Thayer horns on stands all the time.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

The bumper issue is a HUGE peeve with me!!!!

They aren't machined correctly to hold the bumper! They need to be more C shaped than the half-circle that is being cut now. The ends need to curl in to grab the bumper to hold in place. If I work on these newer units, I will tap the top outer corner in slightly to make it dig into the bumper, And/or I'll use a dab of contact cement.

Hard to diagnose the seizing issue without it in my hands...sorry!

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
BillO

Post by BillO »

Thanks for the advise folks. I'm (kinda) glad to see I'm not the only one that has these issues.

I'll keep it in it's case and glue the bumper on.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Hanging out overnight can also cause it to dry out just enough that it will need a little prodding and some more lube. Thayers are thirsty and any small lack of oil can provide enough drag to hold the valve in one place until it is broken free. The aluminum and brass reaction is not a good design for mechanical motion. I've seen many a Thayer that had to be lubed after playing and before playing. One reason I am drifting away from Thayers to more robust designs.

I'd wager on the slight alignment of the bell section, or overall flex in the horn that makes the stand not quite happy with the horn, however. As noted, hard to verify without the horn, however.

Cheers,
Andy

Return to “Modification & Repair”