Olds S24G outer slide length

chunk

Olds S24G outer slide length

Post by chunk »

As the title asks, I need the length of the outer slide for an Olds S24G Super Bass. Not sure if the ones I have are the right length.
Thanks!
JGordon

Re: Olds S24G outer slide length

Post by JGordon »

chunk wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:30 pm As the title asks, I need the length of the outer slide for an Olds S24G Super Bass. Not sure if the ones I have are the right length.
Thanks!
I tried to measure mine with a yard stick -- but I am not sure that I understand exactly how to do the measurement.

I measured 27.25" from the end of the outer slide (closest to the mouthpiece) to the beginning (nearest edge) of the the band that connects the slide crook to the outer slide. Does that make sense?
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

I measure it at 27½" to the middle of the ferrule.

If you're trying to build a slide from parts and don't have the original outers, one notable characteristic is that the S-24G outers have "stockings" at the upper end (i.e., the end that goes part way into the cork barrels when you're in first position).

Not a big fan of the S-24G. Poor ergonomics, small rotors. I have one in my collection for the sake of completeness, but I don't play it very often. The P-24G is a significantly better design.
chunk

Post by chunk »

Thanks, guys!
I'm COMPLETELY rebuilding my S24G. First chunk is the slide, including braising shut a crack, converting to a Saturn waterkey, and having removable leadpipes. Trying to see what I can do on ergonomics, currently. Looking at putting a Kanstul 1606 inner brace on it.
The bell will have noticable improvements, too. Replacing the valves with a pair of Instrument Innovations valves, ax handle, and more.
The triggers on it are being replaced. The current ones have Minick's name on them, but they really don't do him any favors.
Its a project, for sure. Full tear down, to tubes and ferrules, but I think I might see this horn become a GOOD Olds Bass, rather than keep issues.
Knowing what people do of the horn, would a bell ring be beneficial?
Thanks!

Return to “Modification & Repair”