"Brushed" finish in a horn. What's your secret?

Jgittleson

"Brushed" finish in a horn. What's your secret?

Post by Jgittleson »

Thought it'd be interesting how different folks create a brushed finish on a horn. For those that arent familiar, whenever you do something like this, it essentially comes down to use something abrasive to make a consistent pattern in the material. For example, taking scotch brite to a bell will give it a brushed look, but doing it while its spinning on a lathe will make it even and far more attractive. Im curious how people out there are accomplishing this on assembled horns.

I have a fair amount of experience getting a nice finish on things, at least enough to know there's always a trick or two that makes the process far simpler. For example, when i polish really old parts in need of tlc, rather than sit there and sand it forever, i go to a sisal wheel with black emery compound and carefully work the material. Takes a fraction the time, same result. Btw, this is a great way to thin a bell if you are good at it. I highly suggest you try with a scrap piece first, that setup is generally for something like stainless steel, so a practiced hand is required.

So, share your tips and tricks!!!
peteedwards

Re: "Brushed" finish in a horn. What's your secret?

Post by peteedwards »

Inspector71

Post by Inspector71 »

I had forgotten we posted that...thanks for the reminder.

There are other ways, also. Wire wheels, certain buffing compounds and the like.

I do it by hand because it gives me more control. It's easier to keep the brush strokes in a uniform direction...which, I think, gives a better look to the finish.

MDM
Michael D. McLemore
Former Owner/Craftsman
M&W Custom Trombones
Jgittleson

Post by Jgittleson »

Inspector71 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:14 am
I had forgotten we posted that...thanks for the reminder.

There are other ways, also. Wire wheels, certain buffing compounds and the like.

I do it by hand because it gives me more control. It's easier to keep the brush strokes in a uniform direction...which, I think, gives a better look to the finish.

MDM
I completely agree having the pattern going the same direction generally looks much better. So how would you approach this on an assembled horn?
Inspector71

Post by Inspector71 »

I cut the pad into .5” and 1” strips and “rag” it.
Just like you would for buffing...but it makes you sweat more...
Michael D. McLemore
Former Owner/Craftsman
M&W Custom Trombones
Jgittleson

Post by Jgittleson »

Inspector71 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:08 am I cut the pad into .5” and 1” strips and “rag” it.
Just like you would for buffing...but it makes you sweat more...
Awesome, going to try it that way. I figured the pad would pull apart that thin but apparently not!

I just tried it myself, I'm completely shocked that worked so well. In a couple of places i had to put a full wrap around it to keep it tight, works awesome!

Return to “Modification & Repair”