Yamaha Trombone Mods ???

Bone2Collins

Yamaha Trombone Mods ???

Post by Bone2Collins »

Just wondering if anyone has done any sort of mods, like changing bells, tuning slides or valves to their Yamaha trombone. I've got an 830 Bass. Is it a good idea to get into this on a Yamaha? I've just never seen anyone do this...

Has it been a good investment to modulate (?) your yamaha (or other company) or did you just buy a Shires... ;)

Share your experience I'd love to know!!
Bonearzt

Re: Yamaha Trombone Mods ???

Post by Bonearzt »

Interestingly from a Tech standpoint, Yamaha has been the least modded horn in my career!
Not sure why.

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
sirisobhakya

Post by sirisobhakya »

I also have a YBL-830. I think it is already a balanced horn in its own way. I have tried non-permanent non-invasive modifications in the past, such as light valve caps and gold brass tuning slide (both from YBL-822G), and I came back to the original. I love the look of the lightweight cap though.

Yamaha’s rotary valve is pretty open (I play-tested it side-by-side with a Bach 50B3GL today), so unless you go the exotic route with Hagmann or Thayer it can hardly be more free-blowing.

What kind of sound or playing chatacteristic are you looking to be the target of the modification?
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
“Why did I buy so many horns when I only have one mouth…?”
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I have a modded Yamaha: it started life as a 682G and had a major accident that destroyed the bell. I was able to get a Shires 1G bell installed on it. I went through 6 months where I wasn't sure if I had made a good decision and scrapping was better. But the bell "worked in" and now it's a great playing horn.

Had I not had the accident, I'd never have considered any mods to the Yammie. It's pretty good as it is.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"

Return to “Modification & Repair”