Case Handle Repair

Driswood

Case Handle Repair

Post by Driswood »

I have a Conn case from the 50’s. The handle is still securely attached. But the covering is completely gone, leaving a metal handle. Any suggestions on a way to cover it that won’t look cheesy? Otherwise, the case is in excellent shape.

Thanks

Jerry Walker
Jerry Walker

Happily Retired :good:

1957 Conn 6H
Schilke 47B
1989 Yamaha YSL-684G
Bach 6 3/4C
pompatus

Re: Case Handle Repair

Post by pompatus »

Black tennis racket grip tape or bicycle handlebar grip tape makes for a secure covering, and will look as nice as the time and care spent applying it. The trick is to clean the surface with degreaser and/or rubbing alcohol before trying to wrap and adhere the tape to it. Keep it pulled tightly while wrapping and smooth it down as you go. Oftentimes a hair dryer can be used to help the tape form to the handle. This is all assuming you’re trying to keep the original hardware.

If you’re looking for a replacement handle, luggage parts suppliers such as https://ohiotravelbag.com/ will have an assortment to fit your needs, just make sure to go with the steel reinforced version.

Alternatively, I’ve been referred to my local boot and shoe repair shop for similar repair inquiries, as they work in leather and leather coverings all the time. If you have a friendly shop local to you, it may be a trivial job for them to adhere and stitch a new leather covering over the existing handle.
Driswood

Post by Driswood »

pompatus wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 5:46 am Black tennis racket grip tape or bicycle handlebar grip tape makes for a secure covering, and will look as nice as the time and care spent applying it. The trick is to clean the surface with degreaser and/or rubbing alcohol before trying to wrap and adhere the tape to it. Keep it pulled tightly while wrapping and smooth it down as you go. Oftentimes a hair dryer can be used to help the tape form to the handle. This is all assuming you’re trying to keep the original hardware.

If you’re looking for a replacement handle, luggage parts suppliers such as https://ohiotravelbag.com/ will have an assortment to fit your needs, just make sure to go with the steel reinforced version.

Alternatively, I’ve been referred to my local boot and shoe repair shop for similar repair inquiries, as they work in leather and leather coverings all the time. If you have a friendly shop local to you, it may be a trivial job for them to adhere and stitch a new leather covering over the existing handle.
Thanks. I want to keep the original handle, just want to cover it. I’ll look into a local shoe repair shop and also check a sporting goods store.

Jerry Walker
Jerry Walker

Happily Retired :good:

1957 Conn 6H
Schilke 47B
1989 Yamaha YSL-684G
Bach 6 3/4C
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

It's not hard to soak some thin leather and wrap from the bottom up both sides to the top, then stitch across the top. Discarded curb sofas are great supply of this. The stitching draws it tight, done right. And the subsequent drying tightens further. It is rather more hard to do a great job, but it's cheap to do it several times.

Return to “Modification & Repair”