Olds Super -> Removable Leadpipe?

PhilipEdCarlson

Olds Super -> Removable Leadpipe?

Post by PhilipEdCarlson »

Got my '50s Super cleaned up nice and pretty and am about to send it out to the SlideDr to get it working smoothly.
But,
I got to thinking,
Should I get the leadpipe changed to a removable one at the same time?

I don't even know what all the options are. Would I need to choose a system? It seems like there are different kinds of threads and no thread styles. What things should I be considering?
Philip Carlson
TR-181, 72H, 88HCL, 32H, 30H, 4H, 50's Super, 40's Super, Buescher True-Tone 410 & The Buescher, Constellation Euph, Getzen Severenson
BGuttman

Re: Olds Super -> Removable Leadpipe?

Post by BGuttman »

I wouldn't bother unless the existing leadpipe has problems. I'm not sure any particular leadpipe is more appropriate for an Olds Super, although the upper slide tube is a little small for the 0.500" pipes and a little large for the 0.485" pipes. Your choice may be somewhat limited.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

The top tube on a Super is .485". Not many choices in that size range.

Then again, that may be an academic question. I've never had the leadpipe pulled on any of my "normal" Supers, but if they're like most Olds horns, you'll find that the OD of modern slip-fit .485" pipes is too large.

Going to a threaded system will involve replacing some parts, but at least you won't have to worry about fit.
PhilipEdCarlson

Post by PhilipEdCarlson »

NeoBri,
What do you think?
I've given up the idea of a replaceable leadpipe, but, now you've played it, is it worth having the slide rebuilt?
I was thinking this Super would replace the 32H as my main lead ax.
Philip Carlson
TR-181, 72H, 88HCL, 32H, 30H, 4H, 50's Super, 40's Super, Buescher True-Tone 410 & The Buescher, Constellation Euph, Getzen Severenson
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

PhilipEdCarlson wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:10 pm NeoBri,
What do you think?
I've given up the idea of a replaceable leadpipe, but, now you've played it, is it worth having the slide rebuilt?
I was thinking this Super would replace the 32H as my main lead ax.
I'd like to play it a bit more. Only had a few seconds. I've never really got along with those horns, but I'd like some more time to try.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I like the Olds "pro" line horns as Big Band horns. Only possible problem is that they have a rather unique sound and if you have a picky contractor he may balk. Then again, a 32H is pretty vintage as well and could have the same problem.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"

Return to “Modification & Repair”