Can a valve section

Geordie

Can a valve section

Post by Geordie »

... from a King 3B fit on a King 3B+? To be clear this relates to me looking to put together a valve trombone as opposed to adding a trigger. Any guidance appreciated.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal
salsabone

Re: Can a valve section

Post by salsabone »

I am just curios. How would a tenor with an F-attachment do what a valve trombone could do? Just to clarify, I understand how an instrument with valves would have certain advantages/disadvantages versus a slide instrument However, for a valve trombone to work like a slide trombone with an F-attachment would it not have to have a 4th valve like many euphoniums do??
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Geordie wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:37 am ... from a King 3B fit on a King 3B+? To be clear this relates to me looking to put together a valve trombone as opposed to adding a trigger. Any guidance appreciated.
The slide tenons are different on the 3B and 3B+.
salsabone wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:45 pm I am just curios. How would a tenor with an F-attachment do what a valve trombone could do? Just to clarify, I understand how an instrument with valves would have certain advantages/disadvantages versus a slide instrument However, for a valve trombone to work like a slide trombone with an F-attachment would it not have to have a 4th valve like many euphoniums do??
On the F-side, all the (3) valve loops would be too short. Like insisting on using the 7 Bb slide positions on the F-side of a trigger trombone. Ouch.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

greenbean wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:56 pm ...
salsabone wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:45 pm I am just curios. How would a tenor with an F-attachment do what a valve trombone could do? Just to clarify, I understand how an instrument with valves would have certain advantages/disadvantages versus a slide instrument However, for a valve trombone to work like a slide trombone with an F-attachment would it not have to have a 4th valve like many euphoniums do??
On the F-side, all the (3) valve loops would be too short. Like insisting on using the 7 Bb slide positions on the F-side of a trigger trombone. Ouch.
An F-attachment on a conventional valve trombone would be like an uncompensated 4 valve euphonium. You can approximate some of the notes, but all valves will give you a somewhat sharp low C. 1-4 would be close to Eb, 3-4 would be close to D, 1-3-4 would be close to a Db.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

I have always wondered: Why are 4-valve valve bones common in Europe but rare as hens' teeth in the US?...
Last edited by greenbean on Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Comment about tenons notes. Thanks.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal

Return to “Modification & Repair”