Braces?

AndrewMeronek

Braces?

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Is there a section for trombonist's health here? For now, I figure "modification and repair" of myself may apply:

I'm considering getting my teeth straightened out a bit. My lower front teeth are out of alignment, and an wondering if that is affecting my endurance while playing. Essentially, I end up playing with the mouthpiece on one lower tooth instead of a couple, and the tooth ends up digging into the lip over long gigs.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
timothy42b

Re: Braces?

Post by timothy42b »

Oh, that kind of braces. I've lost some weight, and my belt is on the last hole. I'm thinking of going to suspenders, but it offends my family.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

I had a similar situation 10-12 years ago. I had traditional braces as a kid, and some of my teeth shifted over time. I was playing a lot back then, so I chose to use InvisAlign braces. I believe they are more expensive than traditional braces, and they take longer to shift the teeth, but you remove them when you eat and when you play.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
BrexWindWright

Post by BrexWindWright »

I've just gotten braces as an adult (I'm 39) to correct my bite (it's a cross-bite/ under-bite super combo!). I'm doing it for health and tooth longevity and not for an embouchure correction...BUT because of how my teeth were wearing I was getting more and more discomfort on the back of my bottom lip (nothing compared to now) on longer gigs (2 hours plus).
This is all second hand advice, but you won't know which kind of braces will fix you teeth until you see your orthodontist. In my case the consultation was free and included x-rays. The doctor also presented a good/better/best option for payments and treatments/surgery.
My story: Right now I've got the full Monty wires and hooks and band and it will be a son-of-a-bitch for about 20-24 months. I've had to get a long term sub for the two gigging band I'm in while I straighten out my face (I just can't perform or endure like I played pre braces). I still practice a little every day (luckily I play bass mostly so there isn't any mouthpiece pressure to speak of) but it's a challenge. I'm not a professional player (I'm a professional repair technician) so the braces don't completely shut down my income generation. If you're really thinking about getting your teeth fixed, look into it, but expect to have it change your routine for a while...
Good luck. I hope you hear good news.
:)
Fix it. Make it better.

Return to “Modification & Repair”