Shires wooden thumb rest

Walleye

Shires wooden thumb rest

Post by Walleye » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:53 am

I want to replace the wooden thumb rest on my attachment lever. It's really on there tight, so I was wondering if there were any "techniques" that you have used, short of cutting it off, that have worked.. Thanks
BHolleyBrass

Re: Shires wooden thumb rest

Post by BHolleyBrass » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:53 am

I'll try some things on mine in the next few weeks and let you know what works. There are a few beautiful (already turned to size/shape) purple heartwood levers on my bench waiting to go on some horns. :-)
S.E. Shires Ralph Sauer Large Tenor
Holton 69 Small Tenor
XO 1270L Euphonium
Parker/Houser/Doug Elliott N4G/XT N104
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:24 am

I believe it's press-fit on. The best way might be to use a slide-hammer.

Your replacement should have a hole drilled a little bit (1/32") smaller than the rod it fits on and would be installed with a small wooden mallet.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
2bobone

Post by 2bobone » Sun May 27, 2018 5:16 pm

The way we used to put new hand grips on the handlebars of a motorcycle was to spray the tubing part of the handlebars with hairspray and then IMMEDIATELY hammer the new handgrips on with a block of wood. While it was wet, the hairspray acted as a lubricant and once it had dried it acted as a glue. Perhaps the same basic technique would work with a trombone thumb rest ? We did have to remove the old handgrips by cutting them off, but what the Hell, they were "shot" anyway. To all the bikers on TC ---- "Keep the shiny side UP" ! Cheers !! Bob

Return to “Modification & Repair”