Scratchy Slide

Hobart

Scratchy Slide

Post by Hobart »

I'm not sure if this is the correct board, but here goes.
I have an Abilene-era Conn 77H Connquest, and although the slide action is excellent and quick, it does make scratching sounds when moving the slide.
There are no hangups, and the slide moves better than most of the new horns I tried at Midwest Clinic, but there are a couple dents on the inner slide tubes.
Even though the slide works great now, I am concerned about the scratching indicating something bad will happen to the slide down the line as I use it, due to the dents on the inner slide tubes.
Should I take this to a brass tech and get it looked at, or are the scratching sounds just something that happens on older horns?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Bonearzt

Re: Scratchy Slide

Post by Bonearzt »

Does it have nickel outer tubes? the nickel tubes tend to be slightly noisier than brass.
But maybe a good cleaning & polishing will reduce the noise.

I would definitely let someone take a look. Dents on the inner tubes aren't always a problem unless they're on the stockings.

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
Hobart

Post by Hobart »

It has brass outer tubes for sure, and I think they're lightweight but I'm not sure. Normally it still makes the scratching when oiled, but the scratching is less prominent.
I do not think the dents are on the stockings though.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

What kind of lubrication are you using on it? That can have some effect on the noise it makes.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
BurckhardtS

Post by BurckhardtS »

Often, if your slide isn't cleaned well it can make it seem like it's dented or bent.
Shires - 7YM, TX, Axial, TW47 - Greg Black NY 1
YSL354 - XT LN106, C+, D3
Hobart

Post by Hobart »

I'm using the Yamaha slide lubricant, and I think it's an actual issue with some kind of dent, because there is a line on one of the stockings where you can tell the slides touching it.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

TAKE...THE...SLIDE...TO...A...GOOD...TECH!
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Posaunus wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:53 pm TAKE...THE...SLIDE...TO...A...GOOD...TECH!
...otherwise your next question is going to be "I have plating loss on one stocking; what should I do?"
Hobart

Post by Hobart »

Any good techs you'd recommend in Chicagoland?
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

Dana, crap last name is avoiding me, Hoffer maybe?..Matthew Walker is not too far away.

Several good techs only a quick USPS or UPS ship away...
Eric Edwards

Hobart

Post by Hobart »

My band director told me to take it to the music store he gets repairs for because they "weren't bad". Should I consider that too?
Also, do techs generally tell me if the repair is costs more than the value of the horn?
BurckhardtS

Post by BurckhardtS »

You got it, Eric. Dana Hofer. I have his contact info, if you want it send me a PM.
Shires - 7YM, TX, Axial, TW47 - Greg Black NY 1
YSL354 - XT LN106, C+, D3
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

Hobart wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:45 am My band director told me to take it to the music store he gets repairs for because they "weren't bad". Should I consider that too?>>

Does this sound good to you?? Would you go to a dentist that wasn't "too painful"??

I wouldn't even consider them!!

>>Also, do techs generally tell me if the repair is costs more than the value of the horn?
>>
Yes a GOOD, competent tech WILL tell you ahead of time if your horn wasn't worth repairing! OR give you some options!!

Eric
Eric Edwards

Hobart

Post by Hobart »

This is like trying to find a good mechanic but on a smaller scale.
Now that I read the texts from my band director, he did say that they were "good with brass" but he's mainly a trumpet player.
They also omit exact labor costs for trombone slide jobs, but did say they offer estimates. I feel like I'd be better off going with a tech that outlines the costs a little more clearly, "this is what you can expect to pay," etc.
After I get a job, I think I'll start pricing out the two techs you mentioned.

Another question though, I'm on Dana's site. If a "Full service cleaning" mentions "removes dents and aligns slide tubes", do you think that would include correcting this issue or should I ask for a slide job directly?
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

More than likely it will address your issue, but always good to discuss whatever is bothering you directly!
Eric Edwards

Hobart

Post by Hobart »

I got a job interview lined up tomorrow, I'll have to drive up to Des Plaines after my first paycheck for an estimate.
Thank you for the advice!
JuanAbee

Post by JuanAbee »

I can't add too much here, except to say that I have a similar situation, and decide to look here for advice. I have looked here many times to see what other trombonists, all of whom I'm sure are better than I, have to say about issues of concern to me. I see that my good friend Eric Edwards has taken a strong interest in helping you. I trust Eric with all of my "babies," and would follow his recommendations. I read posts here all the time but have never posted myself until this one and Eric's prominence in it. I'm going to have him look at my latest acquisition soon, just to know he would be happy with it.

Good luck from Tod in El Paso!
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Sometimes it seems like carbide grit floats around looking for an inner slide to settle on.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Yes, get thee to a good tech! Once you’ve done that…

When I get my slide back from a tech, the first thing I do is clean it. (This year, I’ve put two dents in one of my bass bone slides. The first two dents in almost 20 years. Doh! :oops: ) I’m not dissing any techs, but it’s been my experience that there is usually still gunk in a slide after repairs. (Slides that have been cleaned ultrasonically are usually much cleaner.)

Soak the slide in warm water and a detergent like Dawn (the clear kind without scent) or Simple Green. Then carefully use a snake to brush out the inner and outer slides, and rinse well. Very well.

Then, I use my slide rod, cheesecloth or other disposable cloth, and Trombotine.
1. Wrap the rod well. You want the cloth to make a snug but not tight fit.
2. Put about 1/4” of Trombotine on the end.
3. Carefully insert the wrapped rod into one outer slide tube and then move the rod back and forth for 1-2 minutes. Be careful to move in a straight line so you don’t bend the tubes. You will build up some heat due to friction.
4. Remove the rod, notice the black gunk.
5. Unwrap the rod, cut off the blackened end.
6. Repeat steps 1 through 5 until the cloth comes out relatively clean.
7. Do the other outer slide tube.

Repeat this process every day until the cloth comes out clean on the first pass. Bathe it as above every few days. Repeat the cleaning rod process after each bath. You will have a very clean slide.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

A "good tech" should not return to you a dirty slide. It takes extra time to do the necessary slide work and then clean it afterward, so it costs me more, but I'm willing to pay for such quality work.

Return to “Modification & Repair”