Polishing Nickel Trim

PhilipEdCarlson

Polishing Nickel Trim

Post by PhilipEdCarlson »

My 50's Super needs the nickel trim polished.

How can I get it shiny?

The most important spot for me is the tone band. I'd like that nice and shiny against the beautiful (to me anyway) bell patina. Also, the braces on Supers are really cool. I think this has a nickel slide and neck pipe too but those are dark and dull. The rim of the bell has some green corrosion that bleeds onto the tone ring in one spot.

If all that nice was shiny with the mottled bell, I think it'd even sound better!
Philip Carlson
TR-181, 72H, 88HCL, 32H, 30H, 4H, 50's Super, 40's Super, Buescher True-Tone 410 & The Buescher, Constellation Euph, Getzen Severenson
Neo Bri

Re: Polishing Nickel Trim

Post by Neo Bri »

If you use the "Full Editor & Preview" button instead of the "Quick Reply" dialog, you can then drag and drop the pictures directly into the text box and they'll show up. Like this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PhilipEdCarlson

Apparently my phone pics are too high a resolution to post.
Philip Carlson
TR-181, 72H, 88HCL, 32H, 30H, 4H, 50's Super, 40's Super, Buescher True-Tone 410 & The Buescher, Constellation Euph, Getzen Severenson
TriJim

Post by TriJim »

I finally had my Olds Super buffed and re-lacquered to get back to that clean and shiny appearance; and now use Music Nomad's Lacquer Polish to keep it shiny. However, I don't think this will work on bare metal. Coincidentally, I didn't notice any change in the sound/tone (good or bad).

Good luck and let us know what works and/or what you decide.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

You will probably find that Nevr-Dull wadding will work to polish things up. I also used to use a multi-metal polish called Noxon (not to be confused with a fine player who used to frequent The Trombone Forum -- hope he finds this place).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
PhilipEdCarlson

Thanks to both of you!
Will check in hardware/auto stores for Never-Dull and Noxone7.

Plan to first work on the tone ring. Lacquer worst there and that's the only place with the green corrosion. What I'm anticipating is that the lacquer will be removed and the nickel (and the brass on the rim) will clean up and be bright. If that goes well ill move on to other nickel parts and maybe the tuning slide (can't remember if that's nickel or brass, either way). The only reason I don't want to touch the bell is because I like the patina.
Philip Carlson
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

If your goal is to remove the lacquer, you could just boil the bell.
PhilipEdCarlson

The goal is to shine up the nickel (tone band, braces, slide) and LEAVE the Main Bell alone, as it is.

Didn't get to the store yet.
Philip Carlson
PhilipEdCarlson

PhilipEdCarlson wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:03 pm The goal is to shine up the nickel (tone band, braces, slide) and LEAVE the Main Bell alone, as it is.
Thinking more about the lacquer... would this goal be best served by removing the lacquer first?

Maybe I shouldn't worry about preserving the bell lacquer. I was thinking removing the lacquer would destroy the bell patina, but a long as I don't polish it, but only polish the nickel...
Philip Carlson
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Where you have tarnish or oxidation, there probably is no lacquer.

If you are careful you should be able to polish just the Kranz and nickel trim without making much difference in the brass.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

And maybe you could tape over the brass with something flexible, like electrical tape.
PhilipEdCarlson

20180407_212624.jpg
Went to town on the tuning slide with the Never-Dull. Figured I'd test it out there before working on the beloved tone-ring. It's got some work left, but it started out a mess. The tuning slide was the leading end on my roof for a road trip from SLC to Delaware and back two years ago. Got soaked in the rain. Didn't dry the case when I got home. After sitting on the tuning slide, I just vacuumed the mold or of that end of the case. Then I looked at the tag for the first time since buying the horn on eBay 4 years ago.
20180407_210420.jpg
Should I stop scrubbing it and think about it a bit more?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Philip Carlson
PhilipEdCarlson

JohnL pointed out to check the serial numbers. They don't match. Guess I'll get back to polishing!
Philip Carlson
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Note that Nevr Dull (or any other polish) will not replace lost plating. If the discoloration is due to the nickel being worn off it won't look nice and shiny after you work it over with the polish.

But it will make the nickel that is there nice and shiny. Also does nicely on brass (if you become so inclined).

Sorry it's not a George Roberts instrument (he didn't usually play a tenor anyway). But it should be a great player.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
PhilipEdCarlson

BGuttman wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:56 am Note that Nevr Dull (or any other polish) will not replace lost plating. If the discoloration is due to the nickel being worn off it won't look nice and shiny after you work it over with the polish.
I don't know WHAT I was thinking!
I didn't even think of it as plating. The tone-ring isn't 'worn' but the neck pipe and handslide stays are. For some reason i was thinking as if they were solid nickel. Of course it's not going to shine up like I was expecting.
Thanks...
Philip Carlson
PhilipEdCarlson

Shined up nicely!
Thanks for the guidance!

Thinking when I'm done (working on the slide next) I'll wax the bare parts. Is that a good idea?

I'll get that Music Nomads polish that TriJim suggested for the lacquered bits and other horns.
Philip Carlson
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

I know Bruce is a waxer. At least I think.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

The Kranz and tuning slide parts on that horn are solid nickel-silver and not plated, so there's no worry about buffing of the nickel.

Also, plain furniture polish works as well for cleaning off the lacquered parts, you don't want to try to "polish" the lacquer as you will cut through to the surface underneath.

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
PhilipEdCarlson

20180328_191111.jpg
Bonearzt wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:52 am The Kranz and tuning slide parts on that horn are solid nickel-silver and not plated, so there's no worry about buffing of the nickel.
Eric
Last night I took off the lacquer from the slide. The outer tubes and bow must be solid too, right? I just used a hot bath and scotch-brite pad. I'll likely go over the slide with the Never-Dull tomorrow, then wax the whole thing! I was hoping to get the braces shiny, but I guess I'll just have to live with clean, as much of the plating has worn off.
Philip Carlson
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

PhilipEdCarlson wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:03 am 20180328_191111.jpg
Bonearzt wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:52 am The Kranz and tuning slide parts on that horn are solid nickel-silver and not plated, so there's no worry about buffing of the nickel.
Eric
Last night I took off the lacquer from the slide. The outer tubes and bow must be solid too, right? I just used a hot bath and scotch-brite pad. I'll likely go over the slide with the Never-Dull tomorrow, then wax the whole thing! I was hoping to get the braces shiny, but I guess I'll just have to live with clean, as much of the plating has worn off.
Correct, they are all solid nickel. If you want a shiny surface, I would avoid the scotch-brite pad. Any lacquer left after the hot bath can be removed with Easy-Off oven cleaner.

Yes, with brass, you have two choices; a shiny horn with lacquer, or a raw brass horn with the mottled patina. Unless you spend lots of time polishing the surface with a rag & car polish...
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Looks like it shined up nicely. Those are beautiful horns.
PhilipEdCarlson

Neo Bri wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:43 am Looks like it shined up nicely. Those are beautiful horns.
If you're still going down to the Bourbon House tonight, Sarah is planning to meet me there with it after work! It's not quite finished, but it'd be great to get your firsthand opinion. Especially hoping for your opinion on sending the slide out for some work.
Philip Carlson
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Possibly - I'll let you know.

For some reason, I have the impression that they're front-heavy horns. I haven't played one in a really long time, though, so I could be wrong. A lot of people really like them, and they shure are purdy.

Return to “Maintenance”