what is superslick plus from the Slide Doctor video

timothy42b

what is superslick plus from the Slide Doctor video

Post by timothy42b »

I watched the Slide Doctor lubrication video recently.

He uses a combination of Super Slick creme and Super Slick plus lubricant.

I've used the Yamaha lube for a while and am satisfied, but it isn't sold locally. I'm curious as to whether the Plus is basically the same as the Yamasnot or the Ultrapure. Or the Rapid Comfort, for that matter.

Anybody know?
BGuttman

Re: what is superslick plus from the Slide Doctor video

Post by BGuttman »

It's a silicone oil intended to make Superslick (or Trombotine or cold cream) work better. I've never tried to use the stuff by itself, although I had a friend who used just a dab of Trombotine and loads of Superslick Plus for his slide. It's pretty expensive compared to UltraPure or Rapid Comfort, though.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
boneagain

Post by boneagain »

timothy42b wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 6:27 am I watched the Slide Doctor lubrication video recently.

He uses a combination of Super Slick creme and Super Slick plus lubricant.

I've used the Yamaha lube for a while and am satisfied, but it isn't sold locally. I'm curious as to whether the Plus is basically the same as the Yamasnot or the Ultrapure. Or the Rapid Comfort, for that matter.

Anybody know?
Maybe you can call the local Sam Ash (Broad Street?) The web site says the local does not have it... I have been in when it said that, and STILL gotten some. I call first though.
bassbone

Post by bassbone »

I used that for a while along with trombotine and it worked quite well. I use the yamasnot now and prefer that.

I would say it is closer to the Slide O Mix small bottle. Not the same as rapid comfort or yamasnot.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

I got a bottle of the Yamasnot this weekend. We were up in the next town for a movie (saw RBG, it was excellent) so we stopped at a Sam Ash.

I've tried the Slide Doctor's method with Superslick and Yamasnot (since I don't have any of the Plus) and I dunno, it drags a bit like when you get too much creme. Maybe I did.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

I used Yamasnot for a while and liked it quite a bit. But over the past year I've been switching back and forth between simply the Superslick Plus (which is just a silicone liquid) and Superslick (cream) + Superslick Plus. I combine this with a spray bottle with two or three drops of Hetman Hydro-Slide in it.

Just the Superslick Plus by itself is quite effective, but I do think that (correctly applied) the combination of it with the cream is better -- where "better" means that it lasts a lot longer between needed cleaning/reapplication. The trick with all these things is not to use too much. Once I apply the Superslick and work in in thoroughly, I then wipe it off with a tissue. Then apply the Superslick plus (and only a drop of that on each inner stocking) and spread it on the stocking/slide. Then spray with the water/Hetman mix.

Too much Superslick (or failure to wipe it off) results in a sticky/slow slide. Too many drops of Hetman in the water results in a slower slide. Etc. How much and how well this works can also depend on how tight your slide is, though the same approach works nicely on my old Olds Standard.

I practice some every day and have a lengthy rehearsal once a week. This approach lasts at least a week (with addition spritzing from the water/Hetman bottle) with no degradation, and usually two weeks or more before I feel the need to clean/reapply. It might actually last longer, but I get fussy.

Or you could take the approach that my section mate takes with his wonderful old Yamaha tenor: before every rehearsal, just apply Slide-O-Mix Rapid Comfort lavishly to slide and go for it. Of course this guy also has never (ever) cleaned his horn or mouthpiece (at least for the last 30 or 40 years). I don't know what happens to all that Slide-O-Mix, and I don't think I want to.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K10/112 Lexan, M&K GR Nickel leadpipe
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

timothy42b wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 10:01 am I've tried the Slide Doctor's method with Superslick and Yamasnot (since I don't have any of the Plus) and I dunno, it drags a bit like when you get too much creme. Maybe I did.
Yamasnot is not an appropriate substitute for Superslick Plus. It's very different stuff. Your result is not surprising.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

You all sound like a bunch of 7th graders with the "Yamasnot" appellation. It's really hard to take you seriously. Could you PLEASE GROW UP and use its proper name (Yamaha Slide Lubricant)? Or how about going all the way back to middle school, and calling Super Slick "Super Snot", and Slide-O-Mix "Slide-O-Snot"?
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Think I'll stick with "Yamasnot" on grounds of efficiency. But I like the suggestion of "Super Snot", though (on grounds of efficiency) I think I'll go with "Slicksnot". Thanks for that. 8-)
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

ghmerrill wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 1:23 pm Think I'll stick with "Yamasnot" on grounds of efficiency. But I like the suggestion of "Super Snot", though (on grounds of efficiency) I think I'll go with "Slicksnot". Thanks for that. 8-)
Gary,

You're welcome.

To each his own as far as maturity, I guess. (I should have known from your elegant photo.)

I find "Yamaha lube" just as 'efficient' and a lot more pleasant to read.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Actually, I was trying to decide whether use of the term "Yamasnot" was more or less mature than complaining about use of the term "Yamasnot". Alas, I have not been able to come to a definitive conclusion about that.

Regarding your comment about the elegant photo ... Constructing that outfit took some real thought and effort, including consultation with my daughter about what makeup to use and how to apply it. And my wife helped trim the wig. The band was happy with it for the Halloween concert, and my grandchildren thought it was hilarious. In addition, I feel that it genuinely enhances my otherwise bland appearance. I think there was a point when someone did call me a clown, but that was in France (and in French) in 2001, in a different context. 8-) 8-)
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Ladies and Germs,

Let's keep it civil, please. Opinions are good, but don't make it insulting and personal. Thanks.
PhilipEdCarlson

Post by PhilipEdCarlson »

Posaunus wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 1:08 pm ...the "Yamasnot" appellation.
imho, it could be called something much worse and it might be prudent to let it go ;)
Philip Carlson
TR-181, 72H, 88HCL, 32H, 30H, 4H, 50's Super, 40's Super, Buescher True-Tone 410 & The Buescher, Constellation Euph, Getzen Severenson

Return to “Maintenance”