Automotive Detailing Spray Wax/Cleaner for routine maintenance

tskeldon

Automotive Detailing Spray Wax/Cleaner for routine maintenance

Post by tskeldon » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:22 am

Hello,

A quick search revealed nothing about the practice of waxing 'lacquered' metal, so I apologize if I'm starting a redundancy. Elsewhere I started a thread about using FrogLube on the slide (in progress) as a progressive and alternative approach to 'moist' lubricants, and now I want to know what the prevailing thinking is about using one of the new light detail cleaner/waxes, such as are manufactured for cars by Mothers and Meguiars, as a ritual to wipe down the lacquer, especially at the contact points, when finished playing. They are all pH balanced to neutralize any acids present; at first semi-permeable to allow gassing-off, which then seal as they cure, all in seconds. It eliminates the possible threat of trapping acids under a coat of carnuba or any of the other old-school formulas. Thoughts?

Tim
greenbean

Re: Automotive Detailing Spray Wax/Cleaner for routine maintenance

Post by greenbean » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:39 am

Lacquer needs wax?...
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:23 am

Some peoples' skin oils or sweat eats at lacquer. These people may need a wax coating to protect it.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
peteedwards

Post by peteedwards » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:55 am

I've used wax, and floor polish, but only on un-lacquered horns after polishing to extend the life of the shine. I no longer do this as it was too much work to bother with.
davebb

Post by davebb » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:36 pm

My kid plays a scruffy Yamaha euphonium with patches of scratched or missing lacquer. I rubbed the patches with a cloth with vinegar on to brighten them up. Washed it off thoroughly, then put some turtle wax on to keep the air away from the raw brass. The instrument looks much more respectable now -from a distance anyway.
Given the stories I’ve read about people struggling to remove Yamaha lacquer, I doubt that turtle wax will hurt it.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:17 pm

I just use Lemon Pledge furniture polish and a soft rag.

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
afugate

Post by afugate » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:23 am

Bonearzt wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:17 pm
I just use Lemon Pledge furniture polish and a soft rag.

Eric
Same here.

FYI, I find spraying the wax works much better than just wrapping the rag around the can and rubbing it across your horn. YMMV... :lol:

--Andy in OKC
tskeldon

Post by tskeldon » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:05 am

Hi everyone,

Thanks for posting. For those of you who are younger players, you should know that you can wax anything without risk (assuming that it is just wax, and has no abrasives or harsh cleaners in it), to 'better' protect it from the caustic effect of the air, including air dry lacquer (which is thinner and less durable than the modern plastics); all of which as Bruce pointed though out can be damaged by the acids on your skin.

Wax (organic and synthetic) is a fatty substance that is solid at near ambient temperature, but which becomes soft, usually around 40 C. Most importantly, wax is insoluble in water. Many concerned people wax important glass, and even large glass panes. We have floor to ceiling glass all the way around our urban penthouse, and I have required our window washer to use Turtle Wax Cleaner on those large panes since it was new.

Six years later, we are the only people that don't have etching caused by pollution. Well, because of some people's body chemistry, simply wiping is not enough; especially if there are already micro pores (even in new lacquer poorly applied) in the spray finish. They wax fruit and all kinds of edibles because its properties can be so easily managed, it is non-toxic, and it is innert (doesn't react with things).

If you care about how things look, in addition to how they sound, I recommend that you try one of the very light formula spray cleaner waxes manufactured to maintain what are more or less 'clean' (grit free) automobiles. Your hands are more corrosive than simply pollution, which is why BASF paints (Mercedes, Ferrari, etc.) says that you don't need to wax their clear coat vehicles; unless you touch them all the time, which people usually don't do.

Ironically, guitarists have done it for years without needing to! The acids in your hand are far less reactive with wood; in those instances it is oils that saturate and damage the appearance (color), but not so too the cell structure of wood, which actually hardens as the oils crystallize, further protecting the woods surface.

Oh, and some of them smell very nice. Mmmmm...carnuba...beeswax, even better.

Tim

Return to “Maintenance”