Finally upgraded my Slide lube.

Bloo

Finally upgraded my Slide lube.

Post by Bloo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:01 pm

I've been using Slid-o-mix since I've been playing trombone. It's always served me well. However, it started getting expensive to oil all 3 of my horns with it weekly.
Finally got the Yamaha Liquid slide oil a month ago, and the difference is night and day. Not only do I have to oil far less often, but the action is so much smoother. It's so much easier to apply and the response is instant.
I could never go back.
My Eastman slide went from decent to one of the best slides I've had in my hand.
I could gush about how nice it feels for hours.
I'm partial to vintage Conn horns, and new Getzens.
Doubler

Re: Finally upgraded my Slide lube.

Post by Doubler » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:07 pm

Thanks for the recommendation. When my Slide-o-Mix gets used up, I'll give it a try.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
HeyMan

Post by HeyMan » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:22 am

Yamaha Trombone Slide Lubricant (YAC-1021P). This, with a spritz of water, works amazingly well! It's recommended by some guy named Andy Martin, whoever he is. /S
Yamaha YSL-651
"Hey, Man!" was "The Chief's" customary greeting. Emory B. Remington - Dec. 22, 1892 - Dec. 19, 1971
Amconk

Post by Amconk » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:35 pm

I just made this upgrade today. Fully cleaned my shires slide first, then did just the Yamaha lube and a few spritzes of water. I could not believe the difference. Amazingly fast and quiet.
JLivi

Post by JLivi » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:30 am

Yamaha is far superior to slide o mix. I love using the Yamaha slide oil.

If you’re looking for something to not use that often I love trombotine too. And t lasts forever! But Yamaha is definitely the way to go.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:42 am

Were you guys using the Two part slide O-mix, or the rapid comfort?
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39 Alto, King 2103 / 3b, Yamaha YSL-640, Bach 42T, Kanstul 1570CR, Kanstul 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, Sterling Perantucci 1056GHS Euphonium, Yamaha YBB-631S Tuba
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
bbocaner

Post by bbocaner » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:50 am

My big problem with Yamaha is that on slides that don't get used every day it tends to dry out and turn into this extremely hard residue on the stockings that I have trouble removing. Ideally I should be wiping off my slides after I use them but once in a while after a gig something that isn't my main instrument sits in the case for a while and when I do get it back out I've got a huge problem on my hands. It never happens on my main trombone because I use it often enough, but on small bore, bass, alto, etc. it's a huge problem.
afugate

Post by afugate » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:12 am

bbocaner wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:50 am
My big problem with Yamaha is that on slides that don't get used every day it tends to dry out and turn into this extremely hard residue on the stockings that I have trouble removing. Ideally I should be wiping off my slides after I use them but once in a while after a gig something that isn't my main instrument sits in the case for a while and when I do get it back out I've got a huge problem on my hands. It never happens on my main trombone because I use it often enough, but on small bore, bass, alto, etc. it's a huge problem.
And I've got to believe the same happens to the insides of the outers, unless I swab down the slide before I put it away.

FWIW, I don't seem to have as much residue with Ultra Pure's slide lube. Nevertheless, I think Yamaha's lube is a better overall lubricant.

--Andy in OKC
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:47 pm

I went the other way, from Yamaha to SOM Rapid comfort. They both work great, but I like the SOM a bit more.
PaulT

Post by PaulT » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:40 pm

I just checked the slides of two trombones I use Yamaha slide lubricant on but haven't played for about nine months. Each had a couple small patches of dried residue on the stockings. But, the residue wasn't hard (the slides moved smoothly and quietly). The residue came off easily and completely when wiped with a moistened cloth.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:52 pm

I've used Yamaha only for probably 5 or 6 years now. No water. I don't have any residue that won't come off, even on the horns that sit for longer.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:05 am

Some of my horns sit for weeks or months between use. It dries up some but still works.
Pre59

Post by Pre59 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:05 am

I used to have an issue with a residue building up on the slide. I fixed it by putting some ball bearings in the bottle and now I just give it a good shake before each application, works a treat.
Cmillar

Post by Cmillar » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:07 pm

Whatever works, right?

I've gone to Slide-O-Mix classic from Yamaha. I thought Yamaha was the greatest thing since slice bread, but I have a '70s vintage Bach and the SOM seems to last much longer with the same great action as the Yamaha used to give me.

Also....I would think that everyone is different depending on the amount of excess saliva or gunk you happen to blow into the horn as you play.

So that would require the right slide lube depending on the individual.

All that stuff is pretty cheap....experiment!
Briande

Post by Briande » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:30 am

I grew kind of depends on the horn. I think old school
Ponds cold cream works best on my ‘50s 2B. Seems like it’s just thick enough to stick in and smooth out the imperfections.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:02 am

It seems sometimes like every side is different. My Bach 42T loves classic Slide O mix. My King 3b most certainly does not. Rapid comfort works best on my Kanstul horns, while I use super slick cream for my Yamaha bass, and Yama-snot for my Tenor.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39 Alto, King 2103 / 3b, Yamaha YSL-640, Bach 42T, Kanstul 1570CR, Kanstul 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, Sterling Perantucci 1056GHS Euphonium, Yamaha YBB-631S Tuba
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
bbocaner

Post by bbocaner » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:26 am

huh... it's EXTREMELY hard when it dries up for me. I end up having to do a combination of chipping it off with my fingernail and then wrapping the slide tubes in vinegar-soaked paper towels to soften the last little bit off enough so that it will wipe off. Maybe a combination of the ingredients of the lubrication with my body chemistry?
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:46 am

bbocaner wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:26 am
huh... it's EXTREMELY hard when it dries up for me. I end up having to do a combination of chipping it off with my fingernail and then wrapping the slide tubes in vinegar-soaked paper towels to soften the last little bit off enough so that it will wipe off. Maybe a combination of the ingredients of the lubrication with my body chemistry?
Bottom line; it isn't working for you.
Something to try........
I have abandoned all the cream lubes. I now use "Superslick Plus Professional Slide Treatment" on all my horns, old and new. It's a silicone oil. I use one drop to lube both inners.The Superslick needs to be reapplied more frequently than the creams, and it does need to be spritzed with water, but it makes my slides super fast and it leaves no gummy residue.
bbocaner

Post by bbocaner » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:12 am

silicone oil seems to be the problem for me, whether it's as a component in Yamaha or the superslick oil or slide-o-mix. I've started using the Berp Bio-Lube which is more of a cream but it's based on beeswax and I haven't had any problems since. Not quite as slick as the yamaha stuff, but it works well.
HGrobot

Post by HGrobot » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:28 pm

Briande wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:30 am
I grew kind of depends on the horn. I think old school
Ponds cold cream works best on my ‘50s 2B. Seems like it’s just thick enough to stick in and smooth out the imperfections.
I have by and large run into the same sort of thing. On my old Getzen it always worked best with Trombotine. I tried Slide O Mix and Superslick on it and neither worked nearly as well. My 3B on the other hand felt like it had maple syrup on it when I tried Trombotine. Slide O Mix works dramatically better on that one.

Return to “Maintenance”