Screw Rim vs Solid state

conn88Hagmann

Screw Rim vs Solid state

Post by conn88Hagmann »

I’m in the eternal mouthoegec search. I wish I’d never come off my 5G when I was 16!!

Anyway,

I have a plethora of Doug’s amazing kit, I have Bach’s and Schilke cut to take the DE rims as I find them the most comfortable, thet are awesome make no mistake.

But everything I have that’s a screw rim, just doesn’t speak as easily as my solid state ones. Putba Schilke 51 in today for the first time in 10 years or so and POW. All working.

Am I going mad!!!!!

Wibble.
BGuttman

Re: Screw Rim vs Solid state

Post by BGuttman »

conn88Hagmann wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:56 am ...
Am I going mad!!!!!

Wibble.
Not just going... :evil:

If you were to screw the parts of your modular mouthpieces together VERY tightly they will react as one part. Of course, that can lead to problems taking them apart again.

Most of us don't spend a lot of time switching off parts of modular mouthpieces (at least we shouldn't). Once you get a combination that works, tighten it up and use it.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
StefanHaller

Post by StefanHaller »

BGuttman wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:21 am Most of us don't spend a lot of time switching off parts of modular mouthpieces (at least we shouldn't). Once you get a combination that works, tighten it up and use it.
I switch parts daily. I'm using the same rim with different cups and shanks for small bore and large bore horns. Isn't that the whole point of modular mouthpieces?

(Ok, I almost never unscrew the cup from the shank, that's true. But I unscrew the rim daily.)
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Cutting threads on a rim and cup loses some metal, so if you or your horn are sensitive to mass differences, yes, there's a difference.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

StefanHaller wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:14 amI switch parts daily. I'm using the same rim with different cups and shanks for small bore and large bore horns. Isn't that the whole point of modular mouthpieces?
For me, it'd be more a matter of being able to use the same size/shape rim across the board, not using the exact same rim. I'd always be afraid of forgetting to grab the rim and ending up at a gig with only 2/3 of a mouthpiece. My wife (a French horn player) uses modular mouthpieces and has shown up for rehearsal with just an underpart at least once.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

I kinda agree with all of the above here... I have been playing on Doug's pieces since 1997. Probably have a one of those that I haven't taken apart since about then either.

I still play around with other pieces... I feel that a solid built piece has a bit of resonance or sound that is different on a component piece... but I always come back to Doug's because it fits me perfectly and it the blow and response of the horn is exactly what I expect. Could I maybe have a more 'special' sound on a different piece? Maybe, but it won't matter when I miss the note or I'm working a lot harder to make sure I do not chip it.

Cheers,
Andy
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Also, you're all talking about comparing two different mouthpieces and attributing any perceived differences to the fact that it's a screw rim. A threaded 51 with one of my rims on it is not the same as a 51. Which rim? What series? The shape is not the same and that affects everything about the way is plays and sounds. And then there's the fact that 51's (in particular) vary widely in rim size and shape.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

Doug Elliott wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:26 pm Also, you're all talking about comparing two different mouthpieces and attributing any perceived differences to the fact that it's a screw rim. A threaded 51 with one of my rims on it is not the same as a 51. Which rim? What series? The shape is not the same and that affects everything about the way is plays and sounds. And then there's the fact that 51's (in particular) vary widely in rim size and shape.
This.

At one point I went down the rabbit hole with my threaded Shires leadpipe and had it soldered in place with the threads backed out a quarter turn. When I stopped liking that I needed to beg a friend at the factory to free the solder and clean it up.

Steve Shires agreed with me that, all things being equal, a soldered-in leadpipe would probably respond better than a threaded one...but that having the right leadpipe instead of the wrong one trumped any of that.

Doug's mouthpieces are what they are, and they work beautifully as he designed them. If they're right for you, they're right. It's as simple as that.

Return to “Mouthpieces”