Deniswick 5AL vs 5ABL

solidshi8

Deniswick 5AL vs 5ABL

Post by solidshi8 »

is the difference between 5AL and 5ABL the backbore ?
How are 5AL and 5ABL? Do they offer a powerful sound compared to 5BL? And which one to choose between classic model and heritage model? :hi:
mrdeacon

Re: Deniswick 5AL vs 5ABL

Post by mrdeacon »

The classical and heritage models are pretty different. The biggest difference is in the rims.

Personally I hated the heritage and absolutely love the classic. I still think the Wick 4AL is the best Euphonium mouthpiece out there.

Wicks are cheap enough that you might as well try out the 5ABL. Most cats seems to prefer either the AL or BL series without many guys playing the ABL series for what it's worth.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
solidshi8

Post by solidshi8 »

Thanks! To be honest,I just want to have a cheap DW mpc as my Greg Balck NY5.25’s backup mpc. I think maybe I should buy the 5AL classic one for a powerful sound like the Greg black mpc.
zarkosis

Post by zarkosis »

I have had all three variants in the heritage blank. The 5BL is a much brighter sound than the other two. I personally prefer the 5AL over the 5ABL, the 5AL has a larger sound with more presence, and the 5ABL is alot darker and reserved. Though my 5AL and 5ABL are older blanks, before the new design, so I'm not too sure if the 5AL is supposed to be a bit brighter than the 5ABL ( I think my AL might be older than my ABL, as it is a much heavier blank). In my opinion i think the 5ABL and 5BL are much easier to play but alot less rewarding in sound quality (none of them are bad, but the AL seems to be much more full and isnt too dark or too bright for my taste). The BL has a much brighter high register, and it is the easiest to play in the high register. The ABL has a darker high register, and is pretty easy to play in that register. The AL seems to have the same sound in the high register as in the middle register, but is a bit harder to play than the others. Not sure how useful this is, as I only have the heritage blanks and only my BL is the new design one (with the H on it). I will probably be purchasing a new 5AL soon to see if it will play differently than what I have. All three of these pieces are great mouthpieces though. Every one sounds amazing and rich, but each have slightly different uses.
- Jude Morris

Return to “Mouthpieces”