BrassArk/Bob Reeves mouthpieces

Rusty

BrassArk/Bob Reeves mouthpieces

Post by Rusty »

Anyone play the large bore Bob Reeves pieces? I have both the 11c and Clarke small shank pieces, but don’t know much about the different iterations of the large bore sizes and how they compare to standard Bach sizes....there’s a number of different 6.5 and 5/5gs variations.

Interested to hear opinions
Walleye

Re: BrassArk/Bob Reeves mouthpieces

Post by Walleye »

Rusty, I asked the same question a few months ago and didn't receive a response so I bought a 5G Mercury from Noah. I really like the depth and shape of the cup. It seems to help make articulation crisp and centered. It also produces a very full sound thru all registers. The rim seems a little narrower than a standard Bach 5G. The cup is also slightly wider than a Bach 5G. I couldn't get comfortable with the rim so I have it listed for sale. I am currently using the Griego Alessi 7C and 7D and find these mps to be quite comfortable and efficient. Hope this helps..
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Walleye wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:59 am Rusty, I asked the same question a few months ago and didn't receive a response so I bought a 5G Mercury from Noah. I really like the depth and shape of the cup. It seems to help make articulation crisp and centered. It also produces a very full sound thru all registers. The rim seems a little narrower than a standard Bach 5G. The cup is also slightly wider than a Bach 5G. I couldn't get comfortable with the rim so I have it listed for sale. I am currently using the Griego Alessi 7C and 7D and find these mps to be quite comfortable and efficient. Hope this helps..
How did you find the Mercury blank for large bore playing? I see they offer a symphonic weight too...

The Clarke rim/5gs cup combo seems like an interesting piece. on small shank the Clarke 6.5 rim feels bigger than some other 6.5s I’ve played, so it might be closer to a Bach 5g
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

The "symphonic weight" is pretty heavy, think Minick style blank. It's heafty but not too heavy. The Mercury blank on the large shank and bass pieces makes it close to Bach weight.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
Walleye

Post by Walleye »

mrdeacon wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:24 pm The "symphonic weight" is pretty heavy, think Minick style blank. It's heafty but not too heavy. The Mercury blank on the large shank and bass pieces makes it close to Bach weight.
I think that is a good description. I feel as if the Mercury allows me to color the sound more than the symphonic weight. I really wanted the Mercury 5G to work, but it felt just a little too big..
RustBeltBass

Post by RustBeltBass »

I play the “Mr.Bass” model on Bass, the standard version.
This is a wonderful mouthpiece, definitely on the heavier side but works simply wonderful in all situations.

Noah Gladstone and Reese did a great job !
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

I play the Jay Friedman signature model, and it's awesome. I've always tended towards bigger equipment because it is more comfortable for me, but larger mouthpieces often have ginormous throats that are super inefficient. The JF is a great fit for me, and the tighter throat makes a huge difference. For perspective, before I was playing mainly on a Doug Elliott XT-106M:G+:G8 for years previous, so the JF feels a bit smaller in comparison. FWIW I still love the DE piece and it stays in my case, just in case.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

paulyg wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:38 pm I play the Jay Friedman signature model, and it's awesome. I've always tended towards bigger equipment because it is more comfortable for me, but larger mouthpieces often have ginormous throats that are super inefficient. The JF is a great fit for me, and the tighter throat makes a huge difference. For perspective, before I was playing mainly on a Doug Elliott XT-106M:G+:G8 for years previous, so the JF feels a bit smaller in comparison. FWIW I still love the DE piece and it stays in my case, just in case.
Have you compared the Friedman model to say the standard 5g as far as rim contour and inner shape goes? I see you can also order a 4 and 5 size of the Friedman design...plus there’s a standard 5g but with a tighter throat and backbore, the 5g ‘Gladstone’...these all sound like interesting pieces.
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

Rusty wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:32 pm
paulyg wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:38 pm I play the Jay Friedman signature model, and it's awesome. I've always tended towards bigger equipment because it is more comfortable for me, but larger mouthpieces often have ginormous throats that are super inefficient. The JF is a great fit for me, and the tighter throat makes a huge difference. For perspective, before I was playing mainly on a Doug Elliott XT-106M:G+:G8 for years previous, so the JF feels a bit smaller in comparison. FWIW I still love the DE piece and it stays in my case, just in case.
Have you compared the Friedman model to say the standard 5g as far as rim contour and inner shape goes? I see you can also order a 4 and 5 size of the Friedman design...plus there’s a standard 5g but with a tighter throat and backbore, the 5g ‘Gladstone’...these all sound like interesting pieces.
Yes. In fact I have a Brassark 5G mercury as well. I can see why people would like it with a tighter throat, it has a seemingly larger throat than the standard Friedman. I don't get along with the rim on that piece though.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

paulyg wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:01 pm
Yes. In fact I have a Brassark 5G mercury as well. I can see why people would like it with a tighter throat, it has a seemingly larger throat than the standard Friedman. I don't get along with the rim on that piece though.
Is it just too narrow/sharp a rim? I take it the Friedman is wider or just a little comfier in general?

With the throats, Probably similar to on small bore, where many find the 6 1/2AL to be quite an air hog, but the 6 1/2A (with the tighter throat) to be the better balanced mouthpiece.

Return to “Mouthpieces”