Remington with Conn 88H

Goodgig

Remington with Conn 88H

Post by Goodgig »

Now that I have my new 1971 Conn 88H back from the shop, I've been experimenting with mouthpieces. I'll be honest, I didn't like the original Conn Remington that came with the horn so I moved on to a VB 6 1/2 AL from the 60's, Blessing 6 1/2 AL L (larger bore than VB) and - my favorite - a Denis Wick 4 1/2 BS in a Remington MP adapter - sheer bliss! Then I started thinking about the Remington again. The Chief designed this with Conn to work specifically for the 88H. From what I understand, he insisted that his freshman students at Eastman play this mp along with an 88H. So now I've been practicing his warmups on the piece and, well, I'm starting to like the sweetness it brings. Not an immediate wow like I get on the DW 4.5BS but it seems that if I stick with it and cultivate a sound it might be worth the time invested. Anyone else play on the old Remington. I'd like to hear your thoughts!
Posaunus

Re: Remington with Conn 88H

Post by Posaunus »

Received a Remington mouthpiece with my brand new Conn 88H in 1972. Never could play very well with it. Had better luck switching to a Bach 6½AL (fashionable at the time). But really hit my sweet spot when I discovered a Schilke 51 with a Conn-compatible shank. Much more "playable" for me. Every once in a while I haul out the Remington to see if I've missed something. Nope - still doesn't work for me. Sorry Chief.
Goodgig

Post by Goodgig »

Possanus- Thanks for your take. For me, the Remington takes some time to warm up and get a good sound. The best match for me is the Wick 4 1/2BS with adapter. I can see that the Schilke 51 would play great, too. Maybe I’ll look for a used old style one with the longer shank. Buy the way my trombone was also made in 1972 I had my tech put the string trigger on and love the setup. Thanks for your suggestions!
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

It's probably a great mouthpiece if you're a decent player switching to a large-bore horn for the first time after years of shredding on a smaller horn. After all, that is who it was designed for.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

If anyone is interested in a gold-plated Remington mouthpiece, there's one listed now on eBay - starting bid $0.99 + $2.99 shipping:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/302820439759?_ ... noapp=true
Goodgig

Post by Goodgig »

Paul - I think you're right. That makes total sense. I was also thinking that the sound concept for trombone may have changed so my ears hear the Remington as somewhat more mellow by today's standards.

Return to “Mouthpieces”