Milashius Mouthpieces at ITF

dwn8ve

Milashius Mouthpieces at ITF

Post by dwn8ve »

Hello fellow chatters,

This past year I have been working on a line of trombone mouthpieces with mouthpiece maker, Bill Milashius. Some may recognize the name, Bill took over production of the Thayer Valves from Ed and Barbara.

I will be at the Festival as an attendee, and floating around and would certainly love to meet with anyone interested. We are very eager to get your thoughts on the mouthpieces.

Our trombone products will be at the Schmitt Music booth and available for trial. Updated website will follow and you can find us on Facebook as well.

We will soon be adding more mouthpieces to the current offerings. In the meantime, if there is something you would like to see, please let me know! In addition, we will soon be adding other brass instrument mouthpieces to the line and ultimately culminating in the production instruments. All of our products are made here in the USA at our shop in White Bear Lake, MN.

If you have any questions please let me know!
Last edited by dwn8ve on Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Allen
Mankato Symphony
Milashius Musical Instruments

Rath R9
Shires Alessi
Lawler Model 1
Rath R11K
mrdeacon

Re: Milashius Mouthpieces at ITF

Post by mrdeacon »

Do you have any other info on the mouthpieces? Specs, ect.?

The website doesn't seem to have much info...
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
dwn8ve

Post by dwn8ve »

Current offerings:
Small Shank:
12C
7C
6.5AL

Large Shank:
6.5AL
5G
4.5G
4G
3G
2G
1.5G
1.25G
1G
0.5G

Current blank offering is a semi heavy outer shape.
Chris Allen
Mankato Symphony

Rath R9
Shires Alessi
Lawler Model 1
Rath R11K
Bassbonechandler

Post by Bassbonechandler »

What sizes are the 1g and 0.5g? As in actual dimensions? I saw these on the schmitt trombone shop website and I'm curious.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Sorry for my ignorance, but who are you?
dwn8ve

Post by dwn8ve »

Bassbonechandler wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:35 pm What sizes are the 1g and 0.5g? As in actual dimensions? I saw these on the schmitt trombone shop website and I'm curious.
The 1G has a 28.55mm inside rim diameter with a .318" throat. The .5G keeps the .318 throat, but is 29mm inside for the rim diameter.
Chris Allen
Mankato Symphony

Rath R9
Shires Alessi
Lawler Model 1
Rath R11K
dwn8ve

Post by dwn8ve »

harrisonreed wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:52 pm Sorry for my ignorance, but who are you?
No need to apologize. My name is Chris Allen. I am a trombonist living in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. I met Bill Milashius a few years ago when exploring a custom mouthpiece for myself. While we did not do anything then we reconnected and worked together to produce a more standardized line of trombone mouthpieces.
Chris Allen
Mankato Symphony

Rath R9
Shires Alessi
Lawler Model 1
Rath R11K
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Cool!
dwn8ve

Post by dwn8ve »

Reviving an old thread keeping things together. Keeps shameless plugs together I suppose.

Bill is starting to work on some cool things, but was finally in a good place to let me overhaul his website. Still adding info to it over the coming weeks, but there are some specs up now with those mouthpieces.

New website is http://www.milashius.net/. With ITF rolling this week I wanted to share he is offering 15% off orders through the end of the month. TROMBONE2023 at checkout.

Trombone hive-mind, if there are things you have been curious to see in mouthpieces let me know. I'm happy to bring some ideas back to Bill if there are some gaps out there he can help design for us players.
Chris Allen
Mankato Symphony

Rath R9
Shires Alessi
Lawler Model 1
Rath R11K
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

dwn8ve wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:04 pm Reviving an old thread keeping things together. Keeps shameless plugs together I suppose.

Bill is starting to work on some cool things, but was finally in a good place to let me overhaul his website. Still adding info to it over the coming weeks, but there are some specs up now with those mouthpieces.
Well, I guess the question is, how different are they from the standard Bach / Faxx offerings out there? How do they play? The throats on the large bore and bass trombone mouthpieces seem to be a bit larger than what Bach uses, more in line with those offered by other makers.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
dwn8ve

Post by dwn8ve »

tbonesullivan wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:38 am
dwn8ve wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:04 pm Reviving an old thread keeping things together. Keeps shameless plugs together I suppose.

Well, I guess the question is, how different are they from the standard Bach / Faxx offerings out there? How do they play? The throats on the large bore and bass trombone mouthpieces seem to be a bit larger than what Bach uses, more in line with those offered by other makers.
They are Bill’s designs, the Bach sizing is just I think an easy frame of reference to know the general volume of that piece. The standards blank he is using has a bit more mass than a standard Bach or Faxx. Rims stay larger even on the bass pieces than a standard Bach.

They play very well. Bill has done a lot of custom work over the years for various players, and I truly believe he understands the design work behind mouthpieces to make a great product. Of course these won’t be for everyone, we’d all play the same gear otherwise, but I think they are worth a look when people have the chance.
Chris Allen
Mankato Symphony

Rath R9
Shires Alessi
Lawler Model 1
Rath R11K
bassbone1993

Post by bassbone1993 »

I can second Bill's pieces. I've played a 4G and his 1G(?). Very fine pieces, especially the 4G. I've since moved onto different pieces, but from what I remember, they slotted really well if you aimed for the center of the partial.
JoeAumann

Post by JoeAumann »

dwn8ve wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:04 pm
Trombone hive-mind, if there are things you have been curious to see in mouthpieces let me know. I'm happy to bring some ideas back to Bill if there are some gaps out there he can help design for us players.
At the very least, Bill needs to make a 4G -5G. Introducing a lighter blank would be good, too.
dwn8ve

Post by dwn8ve »

JoeAumann wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:33 pm
At the very least, Bill needs to make a 4G -5G. Introducing a lighter blank would be good, too.
I’ll add the size to the suggestion list. A lighter blank Bill does have an option for (as well as heavy). We can do those as a special order right now. The plan is to add more of those options online as things keep moving.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Chris Allen
Mankato Symphony

Rath R9
Shires Alessi
Lawler Model 1
Rath R11K
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

JoeAumann wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:33 pm
I'd second this. The 4G size with a 5G size cup is a very popular combination.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone

Return to “Mouthpieces”