Canadian Brass Eugene Watts G2 trombone mouthpiece

LarryPrestonRoberson

Canadian Brass Eugene Watts G2 trombone mouthpiece

Post by LarryPrestonRoberson »

Does anyone have experience with the Canadian Brass Eugene Watts G2 trombone mouthpiece? I haven't been able to find any information on this particular mouthpiece. Most Web searches yield results for the Yamaha Eugene Watts signature model trombone mouthpiece, which this is clearly not. There isn't anything on the Canadian Brass Store site either. Which makes sense, since he retired from the CB around 8 years ago. I haven't measured the mouthpiece in question, yet—don't want to dig through storage for my calipers. It looks to be between a 6-1/2 AL(?) and 5G(51) sized rim. But it has almost a funnel shaped cup and is definitely deeper than a 6-1/2. The rim is thin Like a Denis Wick-Heritage series or Conn-Helleberg Euphonium mouthpiece (5E). This particular example is gold-plated. There is a Facebook post of one being sold, but no specifics given. Maybe it is from the group's short-lived Getzen sponsorship. Or, perhaps they had mouthpieces made up by another company. It definitely doesn't look like a Bach, Schilke, or Yamaha. I've considered contacting Eugene Watts on Facebook, to get his input; Maybe he will reply. I'll try to post pictures/link/dropbox.

I borrowed this one from my brass tech for a test drive; He gets used mouthpieces on trade. Other than giving me a decent sound from a quick blow, I cannot comment much on performance. I usually play Schilke 51 and the like. I'm only considering buying it, because it's in good shape, it's cheap, and I grew up listening to the Canadian Brass and Eugene Watts. So it would be kind of neat to have, but I don't really need another mouthpiece in the collection. On the other hand, if I really like the mouthpiece, it would be nice to know if there is a production equivalent—to obtain a backup/replacement. That being said, I've only been on my current mouthpiece (Schilke Symphony D5.1) for a couple of months and I'd like to be on it for at least 6 months. Anyway, I would appreciate any information, just for curiosity's sake.
Last edited by LarryPrestonRoberson on Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doug Elliott

Re: Canadian Brass Eugene Watts G2 trombone mouthpiece

Post by Doug Elliott »

I the very beginning I made just 2 or 3 for them, and I don't know what happened to them or how they were labeled. Your description sounds like it could be one of those.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Sounds like the ones from the Getzen time. I had one for a while, it was a little weird for me, but a buddy swore that he needed that funnel feel and still plays it now.

At the time 99? 00? I remember comparing it a little to the Lindberg pieces and thinking that they shared some concepts, though with a different execution. I always loved the blank shape, a mini helleberg.

Cheers,
Andy
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I also have one of these, also gold-plated, obtained from Jim Scott (thanks, Jim), who received it as a gift from Gene Watts. As I understand it, it was made by Getzen. I obtained it partly because it has a Conn 88H shank. Larry's description (size, shape, cup, contour) is pretty accurate. I like it and play it occasionally with my 88H, but don't love it - I also prefer a Schilke 51. I keep it mostly for sentimental reasons (I met Gene nearly 30 years ago, when - I think - the CB were all playing Yamahas). And its appearance is striking - looks like a gold-plated antique!
LarryPrestonRoberson

Post by LarryPrestonRoberson »

Thanks for chiming in guys. I'll comment further and try to post pics soon.
Doug Elliott wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:50 am I the very beginning I made just 2 or 3 for them, and I don't know what happened to them or how they were labeled. Your description sounds like it could be one of those.
That's really cool Doug. Also, I've been trying to contact you about something else (PM here & email). Maybe you're busy or didn't receive the messages. I know we're having security certificate issues—don't know if it's impacting the message system. Anyway, I hope to hear from you.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I had one of these for a while. It`s around a 5G size. I had a hard time getting it to focus and give me any kind if core to the sound
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Yes, that was my Gene Watts mouthpiece that I sold a few years ago. The Canadian Brass were playing a Pops concert with my orchestra, that had one piece for three brass quintets (2 from the orchestra brass) playing antiphonally. We spent some time with them, rehearsing that tune, and Gene noticed that I was playing a Conn 8H at the time. He had one of his new mouthpieces with a Conn shank with him, and gave it to me. Very nice gesture from him, although it was a bit small for me. If I remember correctly, I think he told me that Warburton was making these mouthpieces for the whole quintet at the time (they were with Allied/Getzen then for their horns). That was the same time period when the Getzen CB Trombone was produced. The mouthpieces all had a unique blank, that had a vintage look.

Jim Scott
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

CalgaryTbone wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:00 pm Yes, that was my Gene Watts mouthpiece that I sold a few years ago. ... Gene noticed that I was playing a Conn 8H at the time. He had one of his new mouthpieces with a Conn shank with him, and gave it to me.
Jim Scott

Jim,

Thanks for the confirmation and the elaboration about this mouthpiece history. Somehow, I thought the piece was made by Getzen. In any case, I'm honored to have it, and still occasionally play it with my Conn 88H. (Do you ever play your old Conns?) Cup is a shade smaller than a Bach 5G, smaller yet than a Schilke 51; throat is about 7.16mm - similar to Schilke D5.1. The "vintage-look" exterior profile is great!

I also have a Schilke 51C4d (gold-plated) that was owned and played by Byron Peebles in the Los Angeles Philharmonic that I treasure for similar reasons - it plays very well on the 88H!

I feel like I'm a part of trombone history when I use these pieces. ;)
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I don't play my Conns very often (too bad - great instruments), but coincidentally, I'm getting the desire to pull them out. I just played a beautiful 88H yesterday! I got an email from the daughter of an former colleague from the University where I teach. He passed away a few years ago, and they are selling his instruments. He really didn't play much when I knew him, but I had seen him on a couple of concert band gigs playing euphonium. He was mostly involved in teaching Music Ed. courses. Turns out he owned a (barely played) 88H from the 60's that is gorgeous! I've passed along the info to a student of mine, who I hope picks it up. If I didn't already own 2 great Conns collecting dust in my basement, just a few feet away from a rather expensive new sewer line I just put in, I would have bought it myself.

Return to “Mouthpieces”