Traditional 19th c. German Mouthpieces

baroquetrombone

Traditional 19th c. German Mouthpieces

Post by baroquetrombone »

I think I've touched on this subject before, and I've read all of the old posts about it, but it's getting more important that I get some mouthpieces for my vintage German trombones and I'm still not sure exactly what I want/need to do. I have a couple random older pieces, but I don't think any is actually right. I tried one new Schmidt Bambula in my bass and really liked the way it played, but I'm still a little confused about the differences between all the lines and what will be most appropriate for my use.

I'm looking for mouthpieces as close to what would have been used in the mid-late 1800s as possible, as my trombones will be used only in period orchestras. I know the Bambula line would be slightly later, but it also has the most options for size, which is good, and I have no idea how much the pieces themselves changed. Technically the trombones in which they'll be used are mostly early 20th century anyway (I think).

Is anyone familiar with the differences between the Schmidt lines of mouthpieces (soloist, Bambula, Kruspe) and/or other makers' traditional German pieces? Any guidance for an American would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to dump a bunch of money (and then time learning to make it work) into this sort of thing and find out later that it's completely wrong....

Thanks
blast

Re: Traditional 19th c. German Mouthpieces

Post by blast »

I have a small collection of 19th c German trombones and an even smaller collection of old mouthpieces. First off, mouthpieces were smaller.... a LOT smaller than modern examples. I have a large shank piece that is as small as a modern tenor horn mouthpiece with a very thin rim. One that I think is a bass piece is around the size of a Bach 6 1/2. Throats are sharper, cups a different shape. The Conn Kenfield, made in the 20's and 30's is a fair copy of a traditional German piece and they come up for sale. I have a French bass mouthpiece that is just like a monster horn mouthpiece... no throat at all !
Getting the mouthpiece right is important.... changes everything !

Chris
sf105

Post by sf105 »

@blast. Fascinating. What, then, would have the original mouthpiece for the Fuchs 70H looked like? And when did things get bigger?
baroquetrombone

Post by baroquetrombone »

blast wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:00 am I have a small collection of 19th c German trombones and an even smaller collection of old mouthpieces. First off, mouthpieces were smaller.... a LOT smaller than modern examples. I have a large shank piece that is as small as a modern tenor horn mouthpiece with a very thin rim. One that I think is a bass piece is around the size of a Bach 6 1/2. Throats are sharper, cups a different shape. The Conn Kenfield, made in the 20's and 30's is a fair copy of a traditional German piece and they come up for sale. I have a French bass mouthpiece that is just like a monster horn mouthpiece... no throat at all !
Getting the mouthpiece right is important.... changes everything !

Chris
Thanks for the reply. That explains the mouthpieces that were in the cases of some of my trombones. I thought they were probably used with the trombones but you're right- they look SO small! They're a mess though too, so do you have any idea how those might compare to the mouthpieces being made now by Schmidt/Tilz/Klier?
blast

Post by blast »

Answer to Steve... the Conn Kenfield is probably the sort of mouthpiece that would have been used with the Fuchs, but as there is no Fuchs mouthpiece that is just a guess. It sounds far less modern when played with a Kenfield.
I have no idea how these old mouthpieces compare with modern replicas, though Schmidt in Markneukirken has the family designs going back before ww1, so they should be good.

Chris
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

You might want to ask Tim Dowling if he's got any cue to give about mouthpieces. He tracks down, studies, collects and performs on romantic German trombones. I don't know if he made his way to this site, we was active on the old forum.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen

Return to “Mouthpieces”