Screw rim mouthpiece modification

Rusty

Screw rim mouthpiece modification

Post by Rusty »

If you have a 1-piece mouthpiece modded to become a screw rim mouthpiece can you still use the original rim or does that get ruined in the process?

Also, how much difference in sound and feel will changing rims make? I have a Greg black 7c that I love, but the rim is a little uncomfortable and I’d possibly be happy with a slightly bigger rim, but could I ruin the magic of the original piece?

I would most likely look to have it modded to accept DE screw rims, which would be easy to get in the size and comfort I’m after.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Rusty
Matt K
Verified

Re: Screw rim mouthpiece modification

Post by Matt K »

The rim necessarily gets destroyed in the process.

I've personally found it to be the most important difference in the entire instrument. Especially for tenor as I've settled on an Elliott rim in lexan that I really, really like (XT104N) and nothing else really comes close.

I know some players who are convinced that having threads instead of a solid, 1-piece mouthpiece is less desirous. I think that largely that is in the mind of the player, although that isn't a minor consideration so I'm not brushing it off as a totally illegitimate claim. I also don't think this really applies for anyone who isn't absolutely, acutely at the absolute top of their game. As in, they spend a large sum of time every day on the instrument and have for a very long time. It is a moot point for me in particular since it's impossible to have a plastic rim and a metal underpart without something to keep them together!

Fortunately, if you don't like the change, Greg is still around and making pieces. So it wouldn't be like you're cutting up a piece of history as you would if it were a NY 7C or something. You may also want to consider just ordering an underpart from Greg threaded for Elliott rims. The price differential is actually not all that much and then you can A/B.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Metal is lost in the process and you can't reuse the original rim.

No one has ever told me they thought it changed the characteristics of the mouthpiece.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Ndwood

Post by Ndwood »

While we're talking about it - Doug, I'm looking at ordering a Greg Black cup/backbore that can accept your rims. I see that Greg can make an underpart that accepts your rim, but would it for some reason be better to get a complete mouthpiece and send it to you to remove the rim and thread? I'm looking to get something in the 1G range and then later add a 1.5G underpart that can be used with your LB or XB rims. Is there going to be an issue with the 1.5G underpart lining up with the inner part of the rim?
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I'm strongly considering not offering that service anymore because it takes a long time to do it right and I would need to charge too much.

I also end up fixing a lot of bad threading done by others.
Jimkinkella

Post by Jimkinkella »

I've had cups threaded, and you definitely want someone who knows what they're doing.
Certain things do change, as some things (at least for me) are directly related to the cup or rim specifically.
But hopefully the things that change are the things you want to change.
Basic sound and most of the response seems to follow the cup, but amount of lip in the rim and rim shape / width do have an effect on how how you physically approach the horn, which can change a number of things.
I've been pretty lucky, but not always.
An untested idea can go either way.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Doug - how do you match up a rim from you to another brand underpart? As in, what series would match up best? Is it possible to achieve an exact fit, or will there be a little ridge or dip inside where the two brands meet?

I think for me, the main issue is the rim contour, I think how it interacts with my face just isn’t as comfy as some other rims. I’d probably prefer a hair wider in diameter but sometimes a different contour with a smoother ‘shoulder’ on the inner rim will feel that small amount bigger too.

I could always try a 6c from Greg too, but I’m not sure if I’ll lose some upper register ease going that way.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Are you totally against trying my stuff as it is? I've already designed an interchangeable system that works extraordinarily well and has been proven over several decades. You're talking about spending a lot more on a big question mark.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

No! Not at all, mainly opened up the thread to discuss screw rims as a mod to a one piece mouthpiece out of interest. I’ll PM you with some more questions about your pieces.

Return to “Mouthpieces”