Good Jazz Moutpiece?

ZiggyAzalea

Good Jazz Moutpiece?

Post by ZiggyAzalea »

I’m in my high school jazz band and I’d like to play on a higher quality mouthpiece than what i already have but i don’t know where to start. Any thoughts?
Neo Bri

Re: Good Jazz Moutpiece?

Post by Neo Bri »

Well, the best place to start is at the beginning.

1. What are you playing now?
2. What horn(s)?
3. What are your goals?
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Check out some of the other threads on mouthpieces, like the one on .500 bore mouthpieces. There is no one mouthpiece that works for everybody. You must find what works best for you and your horn. Like Neo Bri said, let us know what horn and mouthpiece you are playing now and what your goals are, and we can help narrow down the search.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
ZiggyAzalea

Post by ZiggyAzalea »

I’m currently using a Bach TB301 and a Getzen 1047FR and am looking for a new jazz horn (pm me if you have one for sale) and I want a more brilliant sound for first parts in my high school jazz band. Some examples of songs we’ve played are Brass Machine, Vehicle, Chameleon, Sing Sing Sing, and Tank (the opening from Cowboy Bebop)
Thanks for the help!
ZiggyAzalea

Post by ZiggyAzalea »

ZiggyAzalea wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 10:33 pm I’m currently using a Bach TB301 and a Getzen 1047FR and am looking for a new jazz horn (pm me if you have one for sale) and I want a more brilliant sound for first parts in my high school jazz band. Some examples of songs we’ve played are Brass Machine, Vehicle, Chameleon, Sing Sing Sing, and Tank (the opening from Cowboy Bebop)
Thanks for the help!
Forgot to mention, I’m using a Bach 6 1/2 AL for the TB301 and a Denis Wick Heritage 5AL for the Getzen
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

ZiggyAzalea wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 4:47 pm I’m in my high school jazz band and I’d like to play on a higher quality mouthpiece than what i already have but i don’t know where to start. Any thoughts?
If you're already using a Bach 6½AL on your Bach TB301 (0.500" bore) and a Denis Wick Heritage 5AL on your Getzen 1047FR (0.547" bore) as your mouthpieces, quality is NOT the issue - these are both high-quality mouthpieces played by many professional trombonists. They may be slightly too large for you at this stage of your trombone career, but otherwise they should be perfectly fine.

What exactly do you think is the problem that a different mouthpiece could solve?

Do you have a trombone teacher who is a trombone professional? If so, ask him/her. If not, try to find a good teacher and take some lessons.
FeelMyRath

Post by FeelMyRath »

On the TB301 try something with a similar rim but a bit shallower in the cup. I've never been a fan of the 6 1/2AL myself but that's just me - your face is totally different!
Making the world better, one note at a time

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
ZiggyAzalea

Post by ZiggyAzalea »

Posaunus wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 11:39 pm
ZiggyAzalea wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 4:47 pm I’m in my high school jazz band and I’d like to play on a higher quality mouthpiece than what i already have but i don’t know where to start. Any thoughts?
If you're already using a Bach 6½AL on your Bach TB301 (0.500" bore) and a Denis Wick Heritage 5AL on your Getzen 1047FR (0.547" bore) as your mouthpieces, quality is NOT the issue - these are both high-quality mouthpieces played by many professional trombonists. They may be slightly too large for you at this stage of your trombone career, but otherwise they should be perfectly fine.

What exactly do you think is the problem that a different mouthpiece could solve?

Do you have a trombone teacher who is a trombone professional? If so, ask him/her. If not, try to find a good teacher and take some lessons.
The mouthpiece’s purpose would be to play high notes more easily. It’s just not as easy to play high notes as I’d like on the Bach, possibly beacause I've been spoiled by the Denis Wick
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

If you like the Denis Wick, consider getting a 7CS for the Bach trombone. Or a Vincent Bach 7C. Both are similar in size to the 6.5 AL and shallower. This helps high notes, but at the expense of fullness in the lower register. There is no free lunch.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

Take the mouthpiece money and pay for a lesson from an experienced teacher who can help you. Worth every penny!
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

For playing lead, I have started using a Warburton 7 M. They have a nice cone shape that makes the high notes a bit easier and gives the horn some pop. Expensive though - $170.

Return to “Mouthpieces”