Has anyone else played the new Giddings bass piece?

Jbeckett

Has anyone else played the new Giddings bass piece?

Post by Jbeckett »

Just curious to see if anyone else has played the new v-max that Giddings has put out?
BassTBN98

Re: Has anyone else played the new Giddings bass piece?

Post by BassTBN98 »

No I haven't played the V-Max but I just switched to the Don Harwood and like it a lot!
Chris Geiger
Greg Black 1 1/4G .312 #2
Shires Bass
Bass Trombone, Aiken Symphony Orchestra
GBP

Post by GBP »

If you like the Harwood, try the NYO
RustBeltBass

Post by RustBeltBass »

I had a quick look at their website now.
From what I understand the rim diameter is close to 28.5 which is typical for a medium sized bass trombone mouthpiece like the Laskey 85, but the throat seems huge. I would like to hear what people think.

I tried the Harwood model and the NY-O (aka Markey) model. Both felt fantastic on the face and were great fun to play but I noticed that the steel did something to my sound that was hard for me to notice while playing but became apparent when I recorded myself.
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

I personally don't like the sound of stainless and I know I'm not alone. I couldn't imagine trying to blend in a section being the only one with a stainless piece.
Also I would guess a reason it's not called the Markey is because he doesn't play on it.
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
RustBeltBass

Post by RustBeltBass »

Mv2541 wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:39 am Also I would guess a reason it's not called the Markey is because he doesn't play on it.
You guessed wrong. He developed this mouthpiece and played on it quite a while after having played the Don Harwood model while in the NYP.
He ultimately switched back to brass, not sure which, and therefore the name of that model changed.
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

RustBeltBass wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:49 am
Mv2541 wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:39 am Also I would guess a reason it's not called the Markey is because he doesn't play on it.
You guessed wrong. He developed this mouthpiece and played on it quite a while after having played the Don Harwood model while in the NYP.
He ultimately switched back to brass, not sure which, and therefore the name of that model changed.
I think you simply misunderstood what I said:
I do know he played on steel at some point, but I said he DOESN'T play on it (present tense). What I was implying is that since he does not use it anymore they don't use his name, sorta like the GB Ny series (yes I know the NY is slightly different from the Alessis but you get the point). He plays a GP now just so you know.
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
RustBeltBass

Post by RustBeltBass »

Exactly. GP meaning G.Pagano, I assume ?
GBP

Post by GBP »

I like playing stainless. It gives my sound good clarity. I feel like it gives my sound some presence without having to really push.

Return to “Mouthpieces”