OLDS 'Special' tenor trombone in need of mouthpiece? Advice please...

mlb777

OLDS 'Special' tenor trombone in need of mouthpiece? Advice please...

Post by mlb777 »

Learning a TON from this chat group. WIsh the internet was around back in high school and college as I'm red faced about realizing not knowing very much about my instrument.

Short story: Picked up the OLDS special tenor trombone a few weeks ago after a couple decades of not playing. Back THEN I played in college and even tied a year of Drum and Bugle (playing the baritone). Didn't have a mouthpiece so bougth one online...realized the OLDS has a pretty small shank and found a bach 12c that fit fairly well and BOOM I was playing stuff again while hleping my son in 5th grade learn his instrument.

Then I start researching and realize moutpieces can make a world of difference (would have been nice to know this in high school and/or college while I played :)

So...while I'm beginning (again) I am not really a beginner and played college level bands (yes Marching, but concert, jazz and quartets). Would love recommendations for a good sounding mouthpiece that will FIT my olds trombone (small shank...like the bach 12c, but no larger)

Humor me, you obviously smarter folks than me, and send me some recommendations? Thanks so much!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BGuttman

Re: OLDS 'Special' tenor trombone in need of mouthpiece? Advice please...

Post by BGuttman »

I mentioned in another thread that Olds receivers are undersize and fit the Olds 3 mouthpiece (and the Olds 1, which is larger).

If you want something a bit better you could get a Doug Elliott system, but it's a bit pricey and may not be appropriate for where you are in your comeback.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

I have an olds 3 you could have at a very reasonable price
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

When I switched to an Olds 3 mouthpiece, from a Bach ‘piece on my Olds Special it helped me with tuning.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

BGuttman wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:40 pm I mentioned in another thread that Olds receivers are undersize and fit the Olds 3 mouthpiece (and the Olds 1, which is larger).
mlb777,
Try the Olds 3 (you already have an offer from Vegasbound). If it seems too small after playing it for a while, move up to a (larger) Olds 1 mouthpiece. [They both should fit perfectly in the Olds trombone mouthpiece receiver.]
Enjoy your return to tromboning, as so many of us have.

If neither is satisfactory, return to TromboneChat next year for further advice! :idk:
mlb777

Post by mlb777 »

Thanks for all the responses. So helpful! As I'm doing more research on the Bach I'm realizing "Well maybe everything below the low Bb that I used to play pretty well isn't my old chops...maybe I can just blame the mouthpiece" I'll take it! :)

Interersted in the OLDS 3. New to the board, so let me know how we can talk? Thanks again!

Mike
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I also have an Olds 3 I don't need. To message somebody on the forum, click on their username under their avatar (picture) on the left side of their post and you will see their profile. There you can see their Contact info and click to message them through the forum and/or e-mail them thru their regular e-mail address.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
ryanpsmith

Post by ryanpsmith »

I used an Olds 3 on my Ambassador for a while but found that using a Denis Wick wasn't entirely terrible. The receiver wasn't the correct size but I made it work for a while.
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

The Olds 3 is a good mouthpiece; rim size about the same as your Bach 12C, but flatter and more comfortable, with a deeper cup that has a fatter sound and helps with the low notes. A good alternative to the 12C for getting your embouchure back in action. Aside from Olds, nearly all mouthpieces use the same taper (Morse). Like your Bach, they will insert into the receiver about 1/4" less than the Olds mouthpieces but will play just fine, so you will still have many mouthpiece options in the future. I'm using Schilke mouthpieces in my Olds horns. It is possible to have a tech slightly ream the Olds taper to a Morse taper (very little metal needs to be removed) but I haven't found that to be necessary.
doctortrombone

Post by doctortrombone »

I'm going to have to disagree with much of what was said here. I'm pretty sure the Olds 3 was no longer in use when this horn was manufactured. People are describing the Olds 3 as though it were comporable to modern mouthpieces, but it isn't. Every Olds 3 I've ever owned has been significantly smaller than a Bach 12. They are also rather quirky-feeling 'pieces.. Older style Olds mouthpieces help a lot with earlier models of Olds trombones, but this horn does not need one. Just pick up a modern mouthpiece in a size that feels comfortable for you and isn't bigger than a Bach 7 and you'll be fine.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

doctortrombone wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:44 am
I'm pretty sure the Olds 3 was no longer in use when this horn was manufactured.

2. People are describing the Olds 3 as though it were comparable to modern mouthpieces, but it isn't. Every Olds 3 I've ever owned has been significantly smaller than a Bach 12.

3. Just pick up a modern mouthpiece in a size that feels comfortable for you and isn't bigger than a Bach 7 and you'll be fine.
Steve,

You may be right on all counts.

1. It seems that, at some point in the 1970s, Olds changed from their undersize mouthpiece receivers to receivers that accept standard small-shank mouthpieces. I recently played an Olds Recording, made in Fullerton in 1976, that seems quite happy with standard mouthpieces.

2. The Olds 3 mouthpieces that I have, though slightly different, all have smaller cups (but larger throats) than a Bach 12C.
Here's what I've measured:
Olds 3 – Cup I.D. ~24.20mm / 0.953" | Throat 6.15mm / 0.242" More V-shaped cup than 12C
Bach 12C – Cup I.D. 24.50mm / 0.965" | Throat 5.85mm / 0.230"  More cup-shaped than Olds 3

3. If the mouthpiece receiver is indeed standard – then use your favorite small-shank mouthpiece with your small-bore Olds trombone.
You could even go as large as a Bach 6¾C / Schilke 47 / Conn 3 (all ~25.00mm / 0.984" cup I.D.) if you're comfortable with that size.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Another option is switch to using Doug Elliott he can pro in a shank to fit
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Vegasbound wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:45 am Another option is switch to using Doug Elliott he can pro in a shank to fit
No need if it's indeed a standard-size small shank receiver, as discussed previously.
Arrowhead

Post by Arrowhead »

I saw a similar thread but I'll post again. For a mid-70's Olds Special you don't need an Olds shank. You can use a standard mouthpiece.

Return to “Mouthpieces”