What axe are you playing for your Easter gig?

hyperbolica

What axe are you playing for your Easter gig?

Post by hyperbolica »

I'm playing my 88h with a 0.525" slide. Playing with a brass quintet behind a choir with an organ. I feel like I'm getting a nice clear sound and fitting in to the overall sound, maybe a little on the bright side. With the choir, I have to hold back but with the organ, sometimes you have to crank.

So what are you playing and with whom?
BGuttman

Re: What axe are you playing for your Easter gig?

Post by BGuttman »

First year in a long time for me. I'm playing the bottom voice in a 2+2 quartet (2 trumpets, 2 trombones) and was asked to play bass. So it's my King 7B to the rescue.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

I'm playing my Thein Universal Tenor II with the screw bell, and a partridge in a pear treeeeeee.

Very few Easter gigs in the place I live.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Just got the music today. Looks like I'll be using my Shires large bore. It's standard brass 5tet stuff. I tend to bring that as my default and go smaller or larger if I know the group more.
KRRath

Post by KRRath »

Our brass quintet will be playing at two churches where I'll be using my Edwards T-350e (my primary bone).
Kevin R.
boomski

Post by boomski »

Playing with my quintet for the prelude, and then we were invited to join the other brass players at the church for the remainder of the service. I think there will be something like 4 trumpets, 3 trombones, french horn, tuba, maybe more... so it should be pretty fun. I'll be playing my 42T.
TriJim

Post by TriJim »

Bach A47MLR - 2d trombone in a 2 trumpet/2 trombone quartet. Five hymns with the church organ, and an arrangement with bell choir and church choir. Only rehearsal will be one hour before first of two services.

Happy Easter All!
DDoghouse

Post by DDoghouse »

Playing bottom voice in a quartet with two trumpets and a horn. Playing my newly acquired TR180, and enjoying it.
Doghouse Dan
I'm warning you - I have a trombone and I'm not afraid to use it!
AlexMcMahon

Post by AlexMcMahon »

I'm playing a Bach 36B, modified with an Edwards rotary valve section and 42 tenon/receiver. It's my go-to teaching and gigging horn when I don't want to risk damaging my fancy gear around a crowd Im not familiar with.

Group is 2 bones, 2 trumpets with the choir and I'm playing 1st bone. 1 hymn, 1 anthem and an arranged Hallelujah Chorus.
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

My indy-valved 72H. Standard 2 trumpet/2 trombone quartet.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I was supposed to play Bass Trombone on the 2 services (Yamaha 321) but at the last minute it was changed to Tuba
(1928 Conn Eb with a Miraphone Eb mouthpiece)
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

My assignment:
• Accompany the choir on Introit, Anthem, & Benediction (w/ organ, no other brass)
• Solo trombone & piano for "Special Music"

I started out with a large bore tenor (Olds O-25), but it was too much for the small church and choir.

Then tried a King 3B - I love it, but the sound was a bit too thin for the occasion.

Ended up playing my recently-acquired Conn 79H (0.522" bore) - it was just perfect. :good:
I may have to name this trombone "Goldilocks!" :wink:
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Posaunus wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:09 pm Ended up playing my recently-acquired Conn 79H (0.522" bore) - it was just perfect. :good:
I may have to name this trombone "Goldilocks!" :wink:
There are a couple 79h fans here. I'm one of them. I probably should have played my 79h, but I played my 88h w/ 525 slide instead - gives more power, and we had a big organ to contend with. I love the 79h. Great overall instrument.
Tarkus697

Post by Tarkus697 »

I used my circa 1989 Bach 36BO with a Schilke 50. Two trombones (the other guy had a 36BO as well) and two trumpets, plus organ and choir. Entrance piece, 4 hymns, exit piece.
------------------------------------------
Alan W. Verostick
Strangers
Philadelphia Freedom Band
Love City Horns
matto

Post by matto »

Easter is over, but I'll put in my $.02 to get my perfunctory approval posts in place...

Shires .525 with dual bore rotor, 7YLW bell. Was playing second, so used the large bore leadpipe with my trusty DE 101XTG8.
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

matto wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:55 am Easter is over, but I'll put in my $.02 to get my perfunctory approval posts in place...

Shires .525 with dual bore rotor, 7YLW bell. Was playing second, so used the large bore leadpipe with my trusty DE 101XTG8.
Sounds like a nice horn. I haven't heard much feedback about the dual-bore rotors. Thoughts?
matto

Post by matto »

The dual bore rotor is very focused, but I don't want to imply that it is stuffy, because it certainly isn't. It really keeps the focus of the tenor sound throughout the range without getting a wide, broad sound like a Thayer valve can have. Works well for me playing solo literature, or transcriptions that go below the staff and don't require brute force, but for loud orchestral 2nd parts it can be harder to dial in. If I were spending significant amounts of time in that register and that style, I would likely want a Thayer.
tbathras

Post by tbathras »

A friend of mine who plays 1st has the dual-bore rotor on his Shires large tenor. He didn't say exactly why other than that it really meshed well with him, and he's got a huge sound, so it certainly doesn't "constrict" anything even though it looks smaller from the outside than the regular rotor.
--
Bass Trombone
Casco Bay Wind Symphony
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Good to know. I'd like to try one. To me, it's the most interesting product Shires makes.
fwbassbone

Post by fwbassbone »

Shires Bass in a 2+2 quartet. It was a great gig.
RichC

Post by RichC »

Edwards 502D - 2 trumpets/2 bones

Return to “Instruments”