HELP? What mouthpiece do I buy?

bigtiny

HELP? What mouthpiece do I buy?

Post by bigtiny »

Hi all,

I am new to trombone after playing trumpet for >50 years. I just bought a Conn Trombonium. Unfortunately my trombone mouthpiece seems to be too small for it. So what do I need? A trombone mouthpiece with a large shank?
Matt K
Verified

Re: HELP? What mouthpiece do I buy?

Post by Matt K »

What model trombonium? And what mouthpiece?

I'm less familiar with them but I would be surprised if it wasn't a small shank. A lot of older horns have problems with the receiver after years of use. In that case, it would be best to take it to a tech to figure out what's wrong with it.

That said, some older mouthpieces didn't have standard shanks. While smallbore are more uniform than large bore from the time period, there were still some oddities including some Conn and Olds instruments.
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Could it be a Remington taper? Would that matter?
bigtiny

Post by bigtiny »

No it's definitely NOT a small shank. I was able to contact the guy who sold me the horn and he confirmed it's a large shank instrument. So, problem solved.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

bigtiny wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:50 pm No it's definitely NOT a small shank. I was able to contact the guy who sold me the horn and he confirmed it's a large shank instrument. So, problem solved.
The first of it's kind that I've heard of. Wonder if that was aftermarket!
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

The Conn 90G was a large bore instrument. Basically a "Trombonium" based on the 8H. I think Euphanasia was selling one not too long ago (has he signed up for this site?).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

BGuttman wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:11 pm The Conn 90G was a large bore instrument. Basically a "Trombonium" based on the 8H. I think Euphanasia was selling one not too long ago (has he signed up for this site?).
Ohhhhh. That instrument. I was confusing it with the thing that JJ Johnson and Kai Winding played on some albums. Or maybe I wasn't and I Just never thought about it. Both are possible :biggrin:
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Matt K wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:14 pm
BGuttman wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:11 pm The Conn 90G was a large bore instrument. Basically a "Trombonium" based on the 8H. I think Euphanasia was selling one not too long ago (has he signed up for this site?).
Ohhhhh. That instrument. I was confusing it with the thing that JJ Johnson and Kai Winding played on some albums. Or maybe I wasn't and I Just never thought about it. Both are possible :biggrin:
Didn't they play Kings on that album? And - I'd be surprised to see large bore in their hands at all!
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

The King Trombonium (which is why I used quotes to describe the Conn horn) is a small bore instrument. JJ and Kai played small bore Kings on the albums. I think JJ had a King 3B slide mated to a 2B bell.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
bigtiny

Post by bigtiny »

This is a Conn with a bell from an 88H on it....large bore I think. I believe it's from the '70s.

Return to “Instruments”